Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Problem while installing popcharger, help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:05 PM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem while installing popcharger, help quick!

So I am STILL trying to get the stock airbox out. I've gotten to the point where the airbox is VERY loose. I loosened the worm screw, taken out that one side bolt, and taken the four main bolts on the airbox. Now, the next instruction (according to http://www.speeddreams.net/350z/inta...t_install.html) is to finally, take out the airbox. Problem is, it feels like there is a bolt UNDERNEATH the airbox. I am looking all around, everything is loose, but somethign is holding it underneath.

I have a 2006 350z enthusiast, I am PRAYING that there is not an added bolt underneath the airbox..

HEEELP
Old 04-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just pull up and it will give...I thought the same thing also
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM
kpiskin

I was worried too especially after everyone said how easy it was. You just have to push the intake hose back, just make sure you carefully unplug the MAF first so you don't break loose a wire. It will lift out with a little wiggling.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
dingobiatch

Got it. Now I have another problem. I'm at the part where I punch the two holes and screw the heatshield onto the snorkel. Now, we got one screw in through the snorkel bit, but its extremely difficult to use a screwdriver from that angle, and the screw wont turn anymore. Is there a different tool that I should be using for this? I'm sick of this, a thunderstorm just hit and now I can't drive my car, I want to move it to the garage to work on it but I don't have the stock airbox in anymore, and can't turn the car on (I don't think? Bad idea?). Do I REALLY need both of those screws in on the heatshield? Is the worst case scenario that it will be rattley?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I didnt put the screws in the heat shield and I drove around for about 50 miles... dont worry about it
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
AFKGuy

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
Got it. Now I have another problem. I'm at the part where I punch the two holes and screw the heatshield onto the snorkel. Now, we got one screw in through the snorkel bit, but its extremely difficult to use a screwdriver from that angle, and the screw wont turn anymore. Is there a different tool that I should be using for this? I'm sick of this, a thunderstorm just hit and now I can't drive my car, I want to move it to the garage to work on it but I don't have the stock airbox in anymore, and can't turn the car on (I don't think? Bad idea?). Do I REALLY need both of those screws in on the heatshield? Is the worst case scenario that it will be rattley?
Try putting on the popcharger cone filter and worry about the heat sheild later on after you move the car inside the garage. Anyways it also took me awhile to actually made a "hole" in the snorkel, just be patient. But with the right tool like having a small Dremel it should be easy. Goodluck!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
jondimellow

i didn't punch the hole. ive been driving for 13k miles, no problem. just make sure when u bold on that clamp thing to hold on ure het shield, its nice and secure so u don't have to punch the hole.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 PM
dingobiatch

Okay one more problem. What is the metal band going around the filter for? The one that has the tightening screw thing..
Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um... It's to tighten the filter to the aluminum opening. Use a screwdriver to tighten it so the filter doesn't fall off. You were kidding with this question, right?

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
Okay one more problem. What is the metal band going around the filter for? The one that has the tightening screw thing..
Old 04-27-2006, 05:27 AM
kpiskin

To get the holes punched, someone used a hot wire to melt a small hole to help guide the screw in. That bottom hole is probably the most difficult part and took me the longest.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 AM
03zsmith25

I only have one of the screws in. It was an absolute PITA. I just used a tool i had with a really sharp point at the end to poke a small hole and then just forced the screw MOST of the way in. I dont think the heat shield is gonna go anywhere.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Beeker

Get a small drill bit or a coat hanger. Heat the tip with a lighter then make a hole where the screws go. Just make sure you use a wire or drill bit that is smaller than the screws. After you make the hole attach the screws using a socket wrench with a screwdriver tip. They have them at Sears for cheap money. They are good to have in your tool box. They come in real handy in tight ares like this. Trust me, you will use it again at some point.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:31 PM
dingobiatch

First, I got an angled screwdriver ratchet thing, worked perfectly to get the two screws in. Yay.

Now.

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Um... It's to tighten the filter to the aluminum opening. Use a screwdriver to tighten it so the filter doesn't fall off. You were kidding with this question, right?
I wasn't, maybe I have a problem then. The filter's edge is like.. a little less than an inch past the inside metal part (that has the bolts). That sounds wierd. I mean.. ah. Okay, text diagram time. Lets say that I's are the edge of the filter, and U's are the edge of the metal inside thing (sorry, don't know what to call it..)

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
UUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUB
UUUUUUUUU
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Thats what i mean. Oh, and the B is where a bolt is. Hopefully this makes sense. Anyway, this normal??
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
NissanZfan

dude you are still installing this thing? Took me less than an hour and I know nothing about cars. There is a video out there showing how to do it. You need to search around because the directions are not great. Anyhow I knew how to install the thing even before I got it because of researching, and finding diagrams...I suggest you do the same. Goodluck.

http://www.speeddreams.net/350z/inta...t_install.html

I didnt punch 2 holes, the bolts will hold fine if you tighten them good. FYI
Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM
dingobiatch

Install was done last night, I just fixed a few things this morning. I'm just worried about if the inside part of the intake isn't lined up properly with the filter itself..
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
NissanZfan

If it lines up in the back you should be good. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 PM
dingobiatch

Yay figured it out. It wasn't lined up right. I adjusted it, tightened everything up again. Thanks guys.