Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Why buy a quieter exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the tips are totally straight

Ooooooh, what rear lip is that? Looks like it fits directly over the stock rear bumper (correct me if I'm wrong). I might just have to pick up one of those too, because it seems like the fuji tips fit in there perfectly!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's pix with stock rear bumper (TiPIACE's car):

[/
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
sry110

BhashaZ thanks for posting up those pictures. My Z is black too, so it was a perfect visualization tool!

Based on that shot from behind, it appears that the Fuji muffler suffers from the same ailment as the stock one, in that the driver side tip hangs a bit lower than the passenger side. I examined the stock muffler when I noticed this on my car (and every other Z on the dealer's lot) and it looks like the driver's side tip position is determined by the location of the inlet pipe to the muffler. In fact the entire factory muffler is mounted such that it slants slightly down to the driver's side, which is ultimately what positions the driver's side tip. I guess I would be a little disappointed if the Fuji system fits the same way...can anyone confirm/deny?

Also here is a question I never asked nor found an answer to: does the car sound any different when engine braking (let's say coasting down from 4k RPM to idle) with the Fujitsubo exhaust when compared to stock? With the stock system I get mostly that transmission "whine" and it overpowers the exhaust note. The impression I get from verbal descriptions of the fuji system is that the tone would be deeper and a bit more audible during engine braking coast-down, but again I have no way to hear it in person as nobody that I know of around here has this system.

And nobody seems to address how the exhaust sounds under normal, steady acceleration (i.e. start out from rest at a green light, apply about 60% throttle while accelerating, and shift around 3500 RPM in each gear). All of my research gives me plenty of details about how it sounds at idle, how it sounds while cruising and how it sounds at WOT, but I would say 70% of my time spent in the car is performing moderate, around-town acceleration as described above. So if this exhaust really is quieter than the stock system under these conditions, then 70% of the time I won't really be getting my $900 worth. Sorry if these questions are redundant, but spending $900 on something that may not give me the results I want makes me a bit squeamish.

I realize that people might get irritated because a lot of these questions are "subjective", but I don't really have a choice. Based on the input I've received so far in this thread, I think I can trust most of you to determine whether it is more or less audible than the factory system in these driving situations. I really appreciate everyone's help here.

-steve

P.S. - Just so everyone is clear, this exhaust modification is purely for appearance and sound enhancement over the stock setup. I'm not too concerned with gaining power/torque, I just don't want to lose power/torque. My hours of searching lead me to believe that the Legalis-R may add a bit top-end, but it will not decrease low-end torque. I have my fingers crossed on this one...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're looking too much into it...the hanging of the tips is all in the install and how much time you're willing to spend. Step on the higher tip slightly, and you'll move the tip sufficiently

As for sound, listen to the clips that are posted on Fuji's site...they will tell you all you need to know. Or, just try to go to a local meet as someone is bound to have it on their car

It's as quiet as stock in all situations except in wide open throttle, where its a touch louder and much deeper - very sophisticated sound.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

that is the Veilside rear valence
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

my bad - I just took one out of the box here and yes the tips are cut at a very slight angle
Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to answer your question, but as you stated, it is subjective, of course, since everybody hears things differently and it is difficult to accurately depict your senses to other people.

Alignment-wise, I think if you play with the hangers a bit, you can get it to sit level. But to me, this was not really an issue. I think the difference is negligible.

Driving around, you're really not going to notice a HUGE difference. In fact, it's almost going to sound stock. I can say that if you had a passenger with you, they would never know that you had an aftermarket exhaust. However, if you give it any decent amount of throttle, it will sound "throatier" inside the cabin. There will be a slight "boominess" to it around 3K. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have the ENTIRE Fujitsubo cat-back (including y-pipe). So yours might sound different if you don't have the y-pipe or are using a different one. The exhaust is technically louder, but it's not a high-pitched exhaust (much deeper), so it "seems" quieter. If you don't want to draw a lot of attention from excessive noise, this exhaust is great. It'll give you some sound if you want it, but just cruising around, it's hardly noticeable.

Hopefully that helps out!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I think you're looking too much into it...the hanging of the tips is all in the install and how much time you're willing to spend. Step on the higher tip slightly, and you'll move the tip sufficiently

As for sound, listen to the clips that are posted on Fuji's site...they will tell you all you need to know. Or, just try to go to a local meet as someone is bound to have it on their car

It's as quiet as stock in all situations except in wide open throttle, where its a touch louder and much deeper - very sophisticated sound.
+1

again, you won't be dissappointed....the fitment is perfect and the sound is very unique. the install is pretty simple....and with the weight being so minimal its an easy one person job.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
sry110

Well with the kind input from everyone in this thread as the straw breaking the camel's back, I saw a fujitsubo legalis-R system and JIC y-pipe on sale from another member and snagged it. I will be installing the system in a little over a week and then I'll post my impressions of it. Also just the other day I had my girlfriend take a few videos of the car accelerating away with the stock system on. Once I get the Fuji + JIC setup installed I will go back to the same place and take more videos with the same camera, as a research tool for prospective buyers. I am excited for this exhaust! Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuji legalis-r is not even in the same ballpark as the ti....but not a bad choice. enjoy!