Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Why buy a quieter exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:40 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Why buy a quieter exhaust...

....compared to the factory system? I keep reading more and more about different exhaust systems so that I can learn as much as possible about each readily available system before making a selection. 9 times out of 10 I read that the Fujitsubo Legalis-R system is quieter than the factory system (albeit 'deeper', but quieter). The published performance 'gains' for this system are in line with other similar systems (and they are probably detectable mostly on the butt dyno anyway), yet it actually makes the car quieter per the majority of owners' reviews.

So I am in a bit of a quandary: Are people really spending between $800 and $1000 on this system to achieve minimal performance gain (8 HP is not worth $1000 in my opinion) and to make their car quieter than it was to begin with? Or are they misleading us by saying that it is quieter than the stock system? I know they say that the tone is deeper than the factory exhaust note, but obviously tone and volume are two different things. What good is a deeper tone if you can't hear it?

I feel like I'm in the dark on this one. Unfortunately nobody around here has this exhaust so I don't have the opportunity to hear it in person. But it seems like a bit of a waste to me to spend three-digit dollars for 1-digit HP gain (maybe...) for an exhaust note that is quieter than factory stock (which isn't very loud to begin with, in my opinion). Someone please offer some insight!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought this exhaust was slightly louder and has a deeper tone than the stock exhaust when i test drove a z that had one installed. i was able to drive a stock z and one with this exhaust back to back so i could really tell the difference. most people are not buying an exhaust for the gains...so its all about how it sounds and looks. i bought the fuji ti and i am very pleased with it even though it cost me a small fortune
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loud vs quiet. I recall one cat-back exhaust test with valid noise levels measured in decibels. Other than that, loud vs quiet if pretty much a guess.

Deeper as in frequency? Who measures exhaust tone with any scientific instruments? Again, deep is a subjective opinion.

$$$ and horsepower. Decide what you are willing to spend on any performance bolt on. $50/hp? $200/hp.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exhaust, and I agree with the deeper but quieter. Personally, I don't want to attract a whole lot of attention from cops, so I didn't want to get an exhaust that was always loud. At the same time, I DID need to buy an exhaust since I wanted to fill in my INGS+1 kit. The Fujitsubo Legalis-R was the perfect choice for me. Having said that, when you "get on it", the Fuji definately comes to life. In fact, when you're in the car, you can actually hear it as well. Of course, this is only when you give it some load, and there is no droning in the cabin. If you're just cruising around, it will be extremely quiet.

I guess it really comes down to personal choice. Some people want a loud exhaust, others want a quiet one. Some people prefer the stock Z sound, others want it to sound different. For me, it came down to looks, quality, sound, and price.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 AM
sry110

Thanks for your replies gentlemen. Here is another question: If I buy and install the Fujitsubo system and decide that I still want the exhaust note to be louder, without inducing fart-can rasp, what are some good options? For starters, test pipes are out because I don't have a buddy at an auto shop that will hook me up at inspection. I know high-flow cats decrease restriction which generally adds sound, but maybe there is some nuance specific to HFC's that makes that statement false...? My research also tells me that going with aftermarket headers will drastically improve gas flow and increase sound, but I am afraid that the system would end up being TOO loud at that point. Also, the price of headers plus the price to install them would be more than I want to spend at this point.

Basically I am wondering what some options would be for tastefully (subjective, I know...I know...) increasing the volume of a packaged system like the Fujitsubo Legalis-R, as an example?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 AM
BhashaZ

If you want sound clips to compare to stock, check my videos at:

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/192516-fujitsubo-stainless-exhaust-install-video-and-pics-3.html (post #57)

Additional videos here:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/192516-fujitsubo-stainless-exhaust-install-video-and-pics-2.html (post #35)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fujitsubo is not quieter than stock - it is nearly as quiet, but has a deeper tone, not a hollow note like the stock exhaust

to make it a bit louder? Add the Y pipe...good gains too

louder still, and more gains? High flow cats. This is the setup I have on my car (with the Fuji Ti exhaust).

Even with a Y pipe and high flow cats and the ti exhaust, my car is not loud at all - but the gains were noticeable
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 AM
BhashaZ

What HFC are you using? And any rasp?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Ultimate Racing cats and Y pipe

no rasp just a nice deep sound that sounds nothing like stock (thankfully)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The Fujitsubo is not quieter than stock - it is nearly as quiet, but has a deeper tone, not a hollow note like the stock exhaust

louder still, and more gains? High flow cats. This is the setup I have on my car (with the Fuji Ti exhaust).

Even with a Y pipe and high flow cats and the ti exhaust, my car is not loud at all - but the gains were noticeable
Ah, I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I really don't like the "hollow" factory exhaust note....ESPECIALLY at slow speeds, like when I am just starting out in 1st gear or in reverse (starting from rest). I like to have a nice deep note that I can actually hear to judge clutch engagement...as opposed to the stock system which I can only easily hear if I have stereo off and the windows down. Up in the higher RPM range and at WOT I actually think the factory system sounds acceptable...it just needs to be, say, 30% louder, which is the impression I get from the Fuji Legalis-R (stainless steel). So then my main concern is how it sounds down low. I like a deep, steady, easily audible (while not obnoxiously loud) tone when the car is at idle, and the same type of deep tone (obviously not steady) while making slow-speed maneuvers like I mentioned above...instead of the hollow nothingness that I get with the stock system.

Based on my "needs" as I have described them above, does the Fujitsubo Legalis-R (stainless steel) system seem like a good fit for me?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

from what you describe it would suit you very well I think
Old 06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
m1james@bellsou

Just added the UR HFC cats to a stock system and it added 8 db at 3,000 RPM vs. stock. This was measered parked, car in neutral with sound meter 10' from rear of car at full operating temp.

WFO throttle is even a greater difference although I didn't measure it.

BTW the Ultimate Racing cats installed and fit nicely. Expect 4+ hours install time....maybe less if you're a gorilla or don't stop for a stogie.

They weigh less than half the OEM cat's for a savings of 14 lbs. for the pair. I haven't heard this mentioned before but I think it's significant.

If you want more sound, this is an economical way to do it. I'm going to post with pics, measurements, comparison and sound shortly.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
sry110

Do you know of any considerable sound difference between the fuji Ti and the fuji Stainless steel systems?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I had the fuji stainless first and went to fuji ti - no significant change in volume, just a bit more of an exotic tone to the ti

4 hours to install them James...man, how many cigar breaks did you take
Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
m1james@bellsou

I had the fuji stainless first and went to fuji ti - no significant change in volume, just a bit more of an exotic tone to the ti

4 hours to install them James...man, how many cigar breaks did you take
just 1 cigar (14" long).. actually didn't keep track of time but took longer than expected. The LH side was difficult to reach and they seemed to be torqued tighter than the RH.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
spdrsr1

Because you spend $800-$1000 on an exhaust system and they tell you that you are getting 6hp, doesnt really mean that is all you will see. Yea you may get that if you have say, intake/header/exhaust, but you have to look at the power band of a dyno to see the real outcome of your $1000 exhaust system. Add bigger cams with that exhaust and you may get 20hp out of that exhaust, in power band gain. But over all you just may see a 10hp gain. Say if you look at the power band at 3200 rpm's, you see a jump of like 20hp over stock exhaust. So its not always your overall HP gain, its the power band gain you are getting in every gear.The potential for increased hp is there in the highend exhaust systems once you start letting the engine breathe more from the inside.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:07 AM
sry110

I have my finger poised and ready to pull the trigger on the Fuji stainless system, but I have one more question that hours of research (pictoral and written) have not answered. Question is, are the muffler tips cut on an angle similar to the stock tips? All of the pictures I have seen look like they are cut straight, such that if you laid a straight edge across the tip from the bottom to the top the straight edge would be perpendicular to the ground. But maybe I am wrong, and they are actually cut on an angle.

I know that the Fuji tips are considerably bigger in diameter than the factory tips, and I am worried that larger tips + straight cut might not look right sticking out from the stock rear bumper. Can anyone offer some input, or even better some pictures of the fuji system from the back and side of a Z with the stock bumper?

thanks again,
Steve
Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
BhashaZ

You're right. The tips are straight and not angle-cut. The tip size is 117mm (~ 4.6")

For pix, search for memeber TiPIACE. He's in Australia and has the Fujitsubo with a stock rear bumper.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the tips are totally straight

Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sry110
I have my finger poised and ready to pull the trigger on the Fuji stainless system, but I have one more question that hours of research (pictoral and written) have not answered. Question is, are the muffler tips cut on an angle similar to the stock tips? All of the pictures I have seen look like they are cut straight, such that if you laid a straight edge across the tip from the bottom to the top the straight edge would be perpendicular to the ground. But maybe I am wrong, and they are actually cut on an angle.

I know that the Fuji tips are considerably bigger in diameter than the factory tips, and I am worried that larger tips + straight cut might not look right sticking out from the stock rear bumper. Can anyone offer some input, or even better some pictures of the fuji system from the back and side of a Z with the stock bumper?

thanks again,
Steve
they are not cut straight...they are slightly angled...and the tips are considerably bigger. they still fit and look perfect with the stock bumper. everything about this exhaust system is perfect, quality, fitment, performance, sound, weight and looks.

hope this helps...and good choice...you will NOT be dissappointed
Attached Thumbnails Why buy a quieter exhaust...-fuji-20muff-20and-20stock.jpg  

Last edited by Road Warrior; 07-05-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Why buy a quieter exhaust...