Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AEM Review Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 PM
3rdpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Review Time

$275 dollars and two hours later...

Well... quite the experience installing this intake. First, the caveat - I am a do it your selfer weekend amature. I do not claim to be any mechanic or technical master mind, however, I do enjoy tinkering with things.

With that said I'd give the install about 3 out of 5 wrenches for install difficulty. The AEM intake does not require that you take the bumper off - big plus. I did need to jack one side up and take the wheel and slash guard however. This is a lot simplier then the bumper (installed LED sidemakers previous). The instructions also call for sway bar removal - completely unnecessary.

I happen to put the MAF on backwards and my Z was choking like a choked chicken. Died like every 3 seconds... watch out for the MAF arrow for all those installing an intake for the first time.

Performance wise, noticeable difference. I have recently cut the resignator so this was a perfect match. The throttle response has definitely improved. There is more pep when getting on it and the higher RPMs have a very nice growl. Not ricey what so ever.

One thing that I have noticed is a sound... kinda like wushing or weezing sound when applying the throttle. I'm thinking because the intake is right in front of the wheel maybe I'm possibly getting the noise which is usually made up front in the engine bay... *shrug*

Anyway, have a look - overall, fun install

Bare

First Phase (MAF BACKWARDS )

Down and Mounted

Out and Filter
Old 02-22-2003, 05:10 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Nice job, did the instructions tell you to place the MAF with the sensor connector to the side like that? Just curious because the INJEN specifically say to put it with the sensor connector pointing up, I wonder what the difference would be?

Also after removing and installing the bumper a couple of times I think it might be less work than jacking up the car and removing a wheel.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:22 PM
3rdpower

Originally posted by westpak
Nice job, did the instructions tell you to place the MAF with the sensor connector to the side like that? Just curious because the INJEN specifically say to put it with the sensor connector pointing up, I wonder what the difference would be?

Also after removing and installing the bumper a couple of times I think it might be less work than jacking up the car and removing a wheel.

They didn't really say anything about the darn arrow hehe...

As far as the bumper goes - I'll agree to disagree
You have to jack the car up to take the bumper off - 12+ screws, clips, etc, etc, etc
Old 02-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Aloharacing

Thanks for posting a pic of where the filter actually ends up.

So, why did you choose AEM over Injen?
Old 02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
3rdpower

Color - I didn't want anything blue or red on my Lemans Z. Polish was way too off. I also didn't want to see a filter in my front grill