Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Make an o2 Simulator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 PM
NCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make an o2 Simulator?

I have a damaged o2 sensor that is located within the cat. It is throwing a P0037 and the guy at autozone gave me $167 price tag for a new sensor. Is there an easy way to make your own simulator? I have done some reading on the sensor that is after the main sensor and this is just a double checker for the computer to ensure emissions control. I have been searching for a way to make your own simulator with no luck.... please help.. if not let me know where to buy a simulator

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:44 PM
plumpzz

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=291&ptset=A

84 dollars. The generic brand works fine, as long as its 4 wire, downstream.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:03 PM
NCA

Anyway that I could just make a simulator since this sensor is not all that important?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NCA
Anyway that I could just make a simulator since this sensor is not all that important?
I wouldn't do this if your car is still under warranty. If you ever have trouble, negating a sensor is a good way to be denied coverage. I'd just pay the $100 for a new sensor if I were in your shoes.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
plumpzz

The problem is, no one is really sure if the sensor really does not do anything. Its obviously for keeping the ECU happy when it comes to emissions. Ive been running very rich since i dont have the non fouler fix and i've been getting ****ty gas mileage, but im not sure if its because the ECU thinks the car is running overly lean and is dumping more fuel then neccary, which ofcourse causes the car to run slower. Only time will tell.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
kcobean

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the secondary O2 sensors played into fuel-trim somehow. My car wouldn't pass emissions testing here in VA because I had no cats and the ECU was expecting to see a difference in hydrocarbon content between front and rear sensors. It's possible that the ECU would use this information for long-term fuel trim or something like, but that's just a WAG on my part...again, if it were me, I'd just replace the sensor to keep the system working as intended.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
plumpzz

My car ran REDICULOUSLY rich when i went to a dyno. The entire room smelt like gas. Even with UTEC, it wasn't able to tune it perfectly. Also, immediately after my TP instal and still today, i havn't been able to get good gas mileage. Im installing nonfoulers for that exact reason. I feel as long as the sensor voltage stays between two numbers, the ECU won't do anything. I actually feel that 02 sensors will put it on the low end of the voltage, so i'll benefit power from them alone..
Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 PM
NCA

Well heres the story... my car is out of warranty... i just installed test pipes today and damaged one of the o2 sensors trying to remove it from the factory cat. So I am looking for a cheap fix instead of buying a whole sensor if there was some sort of work around for it.

After thinking a while about this... is there a fuse related to the sensors? What if one of the wires cross and zap each other in the sensor harness? As I had to cut the harness and use a wrench to go all the way around the sensor's socket to get the thing out... and then to re-connect the harness I soldered the wires back together. The autozone guy told me that I should have never soldered them as they are very sensitive to heat and it would damage the circuit inside of it... is this true?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by NCA
Well heres the story... my car is out of warranty... i just installed test pipes today and damaged one of the o2 sensors trying to remove it from the factory cat. So I am looking for a cheap fix instead of buying a whole sensor if there was some sort of work around for it.
non-foulers
Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 PM
ssgohan434

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
non-foulers
non foulers require working O2 sensors silly , and he broke his sensor.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
plumpzz

You know they make a socket to remove them? Its a 22mm w/ a slit on the side to let the wires through. To think, you couldve saved yourself a lot of money by just getting one of those. As of now, i dont know of any 02 simulators. However, post 04.5 Z's are ultra low emissions, so it'll be even harder to simulate those, as i think the ECU uses them for calculations.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 AM
NCA

Non foulers are the sockets that seat the sensors correct? The test pipes already have them.

Anyone know if there is a fuse related to the sensors?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:43 AM
ssgohan434

nonfoulers are the things that go over the O2 sensors to make the CEL light that is associated with testpipes go away.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:42 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by NCA
Non foulers are the sockets that seat the sensors correct? The test pipes already have them.

Anyone know if there is a fuse related to the sensors?
As far as I know, they are not fused. Yes, the "non-foulers" are basically a threaded stand-off from the pipe so that the sensor isn't sitting directly in the exhaust flow.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM
NCA

Is there a way to test oxygen sensors outside of the car with voltage and a multimeter?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
zdrift78

no...u need to test the sensor on the car with the engine running...u could use something like a snap-on scanner with a lab scope...too bad those scanners cost like 7-8k!! im a smog tech here in california and i used those scanners to test o2 sensors (in class as part of a lab assignment)