Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Spacers and MREV2 Question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Damian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
But for the 287 engine, add one or the other first. Then get a dyno. If you are not running lean, you can add the other.

I also have a 05' base model (287 engine). Would i just be better off going with one or the other. If i get the spacer would adding the mrev2 realy make much of a difference.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about starting a little sale on the Mrev2's ??? keke
Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
I also have a 05' base model (287 engine). Would i just be better off going with one or the other. If i get the spacer would adding the mrev2 realy make much of a difference.
On the 287 engine, it will make about 2-6 HP at various parts of the curve.
On the REVUP it will make considerably more on the top end.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Luv2XcelR8

Whats the difference in the Copper ISO thermal spacer and the ISO thermal space?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Both the Copper and regular Iso Thermal can be used in all weather conditions, but the Copper is better able to take advantage of very cold weather conditions and it doesn't require adjustment like the regular Iso Thermal.

If you live in a area where it gets cold (Boston, Colorado, Chicago) get the Copper. It's a install and forget item.

If you live in a place like So Cal or Florida or any place where it never really gets cold, you don't need to bother with the copper.

Check for the first "Iso Thermal" threads you can search on this board. There are some long threads that have a lot of Q and A on the whole subject. Very detailed.

Tony
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Zincognito

I installed the stock air box to test the real difference a Isothermal spacer makes. Since the stock air box breathes cooler air, the gaines were more noticeable than running the popcharger. I drove it for 25 miles on the freeway and when i touched the plenum, it was as if i never started the car.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
kpiskin

So are you saying I should put the stock airbox back in, instead of the popcharger?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Zincognito

Give it a try and you will see what i mean. Although i love how it sounds with the popcharger, the stock intake assembly performes the best of all. If youd like, we could dyno them on Friday or Monday?? PM if you are interested
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

+1!

If at all possible, hook up a OBDII scaner to monitor air intake temps before and after installation of the stock box.

The stock box will have a much cooler air intake temperature. And that directly relates to HP. ..On the street, in traffic, high speed or low speed.

The pop charger will have a little bit better flow charecteristics, but the stock box will have significantly lower air intake temperatures.

Air intake temperature has a direct affect on ECU adjusted spark timing. And we all know how much spark timing affects HP...
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 AM
kpiskin

So maybe a better filter would help with flow since the airbox keeps things cool.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Either that or change the stock filter often.

The stock filter flows good when its clean. And based on all the hundreds of plenums I've opened up, the paper filter cleans the incomming air charge the best.

The K&N drop in isn't bad though.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
El Guy

How about with a injen CAI, How would that work?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1!

If at all possible, hook up a OBDII scaner to monitor air intake temps before and after installation of the stock box.

The stock box will have a much cooler air intake temperature. And that directly relates to HP. ..On the street, in traffic, high speed or low speed.

The pop charger will have a little bit better flow charecteristics, but the stock box will have significantly lower air intake temperatures.

Air intake temperature has a direct affect on ECU adjusted spark timing. And we all know how much spark timing affects HP...
I was thinking about trying this with my EU and possibly getting a JWT popcharger to prove once and for all, if it's really worth it.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
xav_350z

i ll gain like 15 hp (287hp engine) when installing MREV2 + 5/16 spacer with vortech??
or more?
since its an international order i ll order both parts at the same time!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by xav_350z
i ll gain like 15 hp (287hp engine) when installing MREV2 + 5/16 spacer with vortech??
or more?
since its an international order i ll order both parts at the same time!
You definitly should with just a spacer alone.

Matt (Zboy) installed it on his HKS setup and made 17. Mike (350ZNV) installed it on his JWT TT and made 19.5. And I think both were running about 7PSI.

How much boost you running?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 AM
xav_350z

8 Psi of boost.
but im installing the 3.12 pulley soon.
the spacer alone is enough? no need for MREV2?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Both the Copper and regular Iso Thermal can be used in all weather conditions, but the Copper is better able to take advantage of very cold weather conditions and it doesn't require adjustment like the regular Iso Thermal.

If you live in a area where it gets cold (Boston, Colorado, Chicago) get the Copper. It's a install and forget item.

If you live in a place like So Cal or Florida or any place where it never really gets cold, you don't need to bother with the copper.

Check for the first "Iso Thermal" threads you can search on this board. There are some long threads that have a lot of Q and A on the whole subject. Very detailed.

Tony

I live in Florida, so you recommend the ISO Thermal spacer?

Also, are you telling us we will reap higher HP outputs with the stock airbox and say a 5/16" spacer than a JWT Popcharger and the spacer???

I was considering purchasing only the MREV2 since I have the 287 hp engine and the MREV2 alone has shown better gains than with the 5/16" spacer alone.

The motordyneengineering website is also down...

Last edited by ZLadie2000; 08-24-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by xav_350z
8 Psi of boost.
but im installing the 3.12 pulley soon.
the spacer alone is enough? no need for MREV2?
I can't predict the outcome on a boosted 287 engine with a spacer and MREV2 because that particular configurations hasn't been tested.

Although it can't be quantified, it will make more with the MREV2.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I live in Florida, so you recommend the ISO Thermal spacer?
You could live in the Mojave Desert or Siberia, the Iso Thermal and Copper Iso Thermal are always effective at reducing plenum temperatures.

Also, are you telling us we will reap higher HP outputs with the stock airbox and say a 5/16" spacer than a JWT Popcharger and the spacer???
Its a close call and it can vary.
On the dyno and under ideal conditions, the PC will have an advantage due to the hood being open and cool air being available. It also depends on how well the heat shield seals out engine compartment air.
If it doesn't have a good heat shield in place, its really bad on performance. With a heat shield its kinda iffy. It clearly flows better than stock, but its down side is heat. If you are tracking, it will be helpfull because you are moving fast all the time.

OTOH, the stock air box is the best at sealing out hot air all the time under any condition(s). And especially with street driving when the car isn't moving fast all the time. The stock box is certaintly best for drag racing because when you are waiting in line at the Christmas tree, the PC will be sucking in hot air and heating up the filter, velocity stack, maf, air tube, TB, plenum and everything in the flow path.
And it takes time for all that stuff to cool down once you slam the throttle and start moving. But by then, it has already compromised power in the 1/4 mile race.
The maf temperature sensor won't indicate nominal inlet temperaures for at least 5-10 seconds after you slam the throttle.

For comparison:
The thermal differences can be easily measured while driving by an OBDII scanner or Cipher. Take it out for a range of diving conditions to see what is happening.

I like the Pop Charger and the Stillen cold air box. They have their place. But the the CAI's with filters hanging naked in the engine compartment (breathing in 160'F air) will trash performance and gas milage.

Gas Milage? you may ask... Yes. At high air inlet temperatures, the ECU pulls timing and dumps in a lot more fuel to help prevent detonation. I measured all this on the dyno at a range of air inlet temperatures.

I was considering purchasing only the MREV2 since I have the 287 hp engine and the MREV2 alone has shown better gains than with the 5/16" spacer alone.
Yes.

The motordyneengineering website is also down...
Yes, the server is temporarily down but it will be up and running in a couple days.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 08-24-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Thanks for the detailed response!!

I will look into the Stillen cold air box as a combo for my JWT popcharger.

You will have an order from me for the MREV2 in the near future. What is the price again, 395.00, since the websites down Im asking. And whats the core refund?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spacers and MREV2 Question??