Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Passed CA SMOG Test Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Gary King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed CA SMOG Test Today

Hello everybody, I just wanted to share my experience; I moved our Z from NY to CA so I needed to have it SMOG'd to get new CA plates. I was a little nervous because some of the mods do not have CARB approval or EO #'s. Anyways, the Z ran very clean and had no problem passing the sniffer test.

Here's my short list of engine mods:
K&N Typhoon
Motordyne 5/16" Plenum Spacer
Polished and Jet Hot Coated, Upper Plenum
Random Technology, Ceramic, High Flow Cats
HKS Hi-Power, Ti Tip, True Dual Exhaust

I have also passed NY State inspection, with pretty much the same mods. NY State now plugs into your OBDII and will not pass you if you throw any codes.

That's my story, glad it worked out the way it did.

Gary
Old 09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Cali hope you adjust well.....
Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job, especially here in CA, didn't know about NY. Not many states to really worry about, I think CA leads the pack though.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Gary King

So far so good Ed, we met at Hearst Castle? I was born here and half my family is here so, honestly it feels like home to me.

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Welcome to Cali hope you adjust well.....
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Gary King

Yeah, NY is almost as strict as CA now, it's the only thing that has really been keeping me from getting a TT kit.

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
Good job, especially here in CA, didn't know about NY. Not many states to really worry about, I think CA leads the pack though.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by Gary King
So far so good Ed, we met at Hearst Castle? I was born here and half my family is here so, honestly it feels like home to me.
Yes I remember the roadster right.......I dunno I like Cali but it will NEVER be home...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Gary King

Yes sir that was me with the Roadster. Honestly , I feel at home in both CA and NY, half my family is in one state, half in the other. But it is like they say, "There's No Place Like New York."

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Yes I remember the roadster right.......I dunno I like Cali but it will NEVER be home...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Beer Goggles

Passing emissions and passing CARB will never be close. In other states as long as you pass emissions, and obviosly don't throw codes you are fine. HEre if you put a shiny tube on you fail regardless.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary King
Hello everybody, I just wanted to share my experience; I moved our Z from NY to CA so I needed to have it SMOG'd to get new CA plates. I was a little nervous because some of the mods do not have CARB approval or EO #'s. Anyways, the Z ran very clean and had no problem passing the sniffer test.

Here's my short list of engine mods:
K&N Typhoon
Motordyne 5/16" Plenum Spacer
Polished and Jet Hot Coated, Upper Plenum
Random Technology, Ceramic, High Flow Cats
HKS Hi-Power, Ti Tip, True Dual Exhaust

I have also passed NY State inspection, with pretty much the same mods. NY State now plugs into your OBDII and will not pass you if you throw any codes.

That's my story, glad it worked out the way it did.

Gary

So they passed you even though you had non-CARB cert. mods? I thought they wouldn't, regardless of what the sniffer says (isn't that the whole point of CARB???)? Diddn't know they still did the sniffer there, either... they used to do that here, but now just jack into your OBDII port to see if it's throwing any codes (on '96 and up cars).
Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
Passing emissions and passing CARB will never be close. In other states as long as you pass emissions, and obviosly don't throw codes you are fine. HEre if you put a shiny tube on you fail regardless.
As long as they don't have another stock Z to refer to your strange looking spacers then you should be alright. I bet most of the bolt-ons and turbo kits would pass except for the test pipes. Just the visual inspection alone would be hardest to pass if you have a bunch of suspicious engine bling.

Welcome BTW. At least your Z won't get any more rust.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:22 AM
THE TECH

Congrats!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Gary King

In NY, up until a couple of years ago, they never checked emissions, but they went around your car and checked tread depth of your tires, brakes, lights, all the safety stuff, if anything was under spec you had to have it fixed before they would pass you. Now they still do that with the OBDII but you are right, they don't care much about mods as long as they don't make your car throw codes or put you under the safety specs.

Gary

Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Gary King

Technically they could of failed me, that's why I was nervous. So OBDII in TX now too huh, it looks like more and more states a getting more strict.

Gary

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
So they passed you even though you had non-CARB cert. mods? I thought they wouldn't, regardless of what the sniffer says (isn't that the whole point of CARB???)? Diddn't know they still did the sniffer there, either... they used to do that here, but now just jack into your OBDII port to see if it's throwing any codes (on '96 and up cars).
Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Gary King

Thanks for the Welcome, yeah no rusty rides here never drove the Z in the winter back in NY though so it's still rust free, the truck I drove in the winter is a different story.

Gary

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
As long as they don't have another stock Z to refer to your strange looking spacers then you should be alright. I bet most of the bolt-ons and turbo kits would pass except for the test pipes. Just the visual inspection alone would be hardest to pass if you have a bunch of suspicious engine bling.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Gary King

Thanks !!

Gary

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Congrats!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
that's true with all that salt they spray on the road....
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM
LeMans 05

Chicago and NW Indiana have been doing the sniffer / OBDII test for honestly as long as I can remember. I remember being a kid in the backseat (I'm 27 now), waiting in lines at the emissions station to get the sniffer test. They don't check tires, etc. here, just emissions and a pressure test on the gas cap.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Gary King

Thanks for posting, so OBDII there too, do you know when that started? I know most of the states have been using the sniffer for a long time but OBDII is relatively new. This is good information to have for people who mod their cars.

Maybe we should start a sticky for people to post what the state inspection procedures are?

Gary

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
Chicago and NW Indiana have been doing the sniffer / OBDII test for honestly as long as I can remember. I remember being a kid in the backseat (I'm 27 now), waiting in lines at the emissions station to get the sniffer test. They don't check tires, etc. here, just emissions and a pressure test on the gas cap.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

i just passed the sniffer test for emissions last week with test pipes. i am in mass. strict here too. but no one enforces it. meaning no shop will fail you for visual. thats for sure they dont care how low you are, or how big of a bodykit u got on or how bold your tires are. but they will fail you if you cant pass the OBD II plug in test. unless you slip them some $$$.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Gary King

Wow you passed a sniffer with test pipes! Did you install the non-fouler's to pass OBDII?

Gary

Originally Posted by killerlexus
i just passed the sniffer test for emissions last week with test pipes. i am in mass. strict here too. but no one enforces it. meaning no shop will fail you for visual. thats for sure they dont care how low you are, or how big of a bodykit u got on or how bold your tires are. but they will fail you if you cant pass the OBD II plug in test. unless you slip them some $$$.