Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: SIDE EXIT???
YESSSS
50.88%
NOOOO
49.12%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

SIDE EXIT EXHAUST----Lets have a REAL post about this..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
tvalenZiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIDE EXIT EXHAUST----Lets have a REAL post about this..

Guys, I have this idea in my head for a side exit exhaust on the z...I think it'd be sweeeet--BUT need some advice. Would like to here from people that have either done it, seen it, can post pics of someone else's, etc... PLEASE dont tell me to search because there's nothing really out there about this..

I'm looking at tryign to pull off dual side pipes...What I'm thinking is putting some kind of muffler (maybe decent magnaflow) on each side--about where the cat would be...then a good X pipe(hopefully something that wil also help muffle hte excessive sound...and then exiting not under, but THROUGH the side skirts just before the rear wheels...probably dual tip if its not over the top...ALso, I'm pretty sure I'll ned some kind of protection for around the cutout where the exhaust tips will be--just not sure what material will work/look best...If you've seen a new viper, you'll get the idea..only with somethign a little more flashy for tips, and a little less noticeable to protect the cutout...

This setup should eliminate the problem of it being too low to the ground...what I'm wondering is whether or not the above mentioned setup will be muffled enough to sound similiar to the typical aftermarket systems....and i'd love to see a pic/photo chop of one...

Also, I'd like to hear what other things you guys think may cause problems that i havent considered yet...or better ways of doing it if you have them...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
KelekonaKustoms

sounds like fun, id be interested to see this
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 PM
alnfong

I would like to see that too!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Alang35

wouldnt you get crap all over the side of your car/wheels?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
TSG-Z

I would have to say no on this one! I really dont think it would like right IMO, good luck!

TSG
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 AM
mpowers

we call this rice......save it for cars that it looks appropriate on -cobra's, mustangs, old jags etc.

Not to mention it would probably melt the side skirts.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 AM
mahont

Originally Posted by mpowers
we call this rice......save it for cars that it looks appropriate on -cobra's, mustangs, old jags etc.

Not to mention it would probably melt the side skirts.
You're kidding right? I have never seen an import or riced out car with side exit exhaust. Only import I have seen with side exit is a race car. Side exit's are on muscle cars like Vipers, Cobras, etc. I don't know about you but I would consider those far from rice. I swear people label anything they don't like "rice."

Back on topic ... I think you should try it out and be different. To my knowledge it has never been done. I say go for it! But, if you do it, do it right; don't halfass it.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:06 AM
BlackZero6

the only problem i see would be modding the side to make it fit.. alot of cutting involved and you would actually have to cut into the metal underbody of the car(which i dont reccomend)...

you cant put it under the skirt cuz there would be no ground clearance

sounds harder than it is worth but still want to see it done
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 AM
tvalenZiano

Some good points here...figuring out how to get around the underbody for one thing...

There's some nice systems out there....I think this would look amazing on a Z..especially if done right..

Still not sure about whether it'd be too loud either...I'm not made of money, but I'd pay a lil more to have this setup IF done right, and IF it doesnt make me go deaf...

Anyone else???
Old 09-14-2006, 08:24 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You would have to do something to dress up the rear end a bit too...otherwise you are looking at two semi-circular cutouts, rear suspension and differential!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 AM
arlingtonz

Instead of running pipes down the sides, why not just put exhaust holes on the side...shorter exhaust route, potentially less bends not too over the top, but still agressive...GL and definitely not rice if done clean.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Havok_RLS2

Nice if done right.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 AM
tvalenZiano

aRLINGTON---can you explain a little?? I was planning on running the exhaust under the car as it is now and as it would be on an aftermarket system..only diff cutting out the side skirts and putting the tips there...

Are we talking about the same thing?? If not please describe a little more..

And thanks for the positive feed back you guys
Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Funny, i'm in the process of making one right now. I've been wanting side exit for a while, so my buddy (I have a Z, he's got a G) and I have been testing different ways to get it done with the cleanest look and least amount of bends. Good luck to you. And so you know, it CAN be done and with not alot of effort nor money. Just have to get creative and decide how much (if any) performance over style you're willing to lose? For me, not having dyno tested anything yet, i'm not at all worried about losing 5hp for something that IMO would look great. Not saying that side exit would lose or gain anything, but some of the methods i've tried or drawn up, would in theory, lose a little hp. Then cat/no cat, width, and muffler play into that as well.

Anyway, best of luck to you.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Originally Posted by tvalenZiano
aRLINGTON---can you explain a little?? I was planning on running the exhaust under the car as it is now and as it would be on an aftermarket system..only diff cutting out the side skirts and putting the tips there...

Not as easy as you make it sound. If you've ever looked under your skirt, you'll see that the bottom of your skirt, IS the bottom of your car. In other words, you can't cut a hole in the skirt and expect to see the ground. You would need to cut apart your frame for that to work. For what you're thinking about to work, you'd need an aftermarket skirt that hangs down a good 4"+ past the bottom of the car to get an exhaust through it. Then you're dealing with a whole nother issue if you go that rout.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are you guys drilling into the frame and creating tunnels for it? or are you just routing it underneath? the car body..

honestly.. i dont see any room for the pipes to go out the sides... if anything it'll be THE lowest part of the car and next to the ground unless you recess it into the framework..

all the JGTC race cars have the exhaust ported along the side of the frame and since they're widebody, it prevent it from going inside the cabin...

not alot of space from this underside shot of the HKS pipes...

Old 09-14-2006, 08:58 AM
arlingtonz

Originally Posted by tvalenZiano

Yeah we are talking about the same idea, sorry I thought you wanted to run the mufflers on the outside a la cobras, vettess...

Looking at the picture chebesto put it, it looks like it is going to be quite a challenge, but could be done, just will require quite a bit of fabrication. Good luck and let us know if you decide to proceed.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 AM
chimmike

yeah I'm gonna agree, there is NO room for this to happen.

I think before coming up with ideas like this, sometimes you guys have to actually get under the car and look at it....................
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 AM
mpowers

Originally Posted by mahont
You're kidding right? I have never seen an import or riced out car with side exit exhaust. Only import I have seen with side exit is a race car. Side exit's are on muscle cars like Vipers, Cobras, etc. I don't know about you but I would consider those far from rice. I swear people label anything they don't like "rice."

Back on topic ... I think you should try it out and be different. To my knowledge it has never been done. I say go for it! But, if you do it, do it right; don't halfass it.

A traditional Idea for big blocks and exotic's-- on an Import makes it rice I like side exhaust but it should be keep where it belongs.
But hey this is just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually come across this idea 4 months ago when i start working on my widebody project but didn't go forward with it. Here are few things to consider:

1. custom made the pipe to come out before the rear tire
2. Vibration between the pipe and the body since we can't a good place to hold the pipe
3. Custom made the sideskirt so you can have enough room for the mufler
4. $$$$
5. The last most important issue: To find a DAMN GOOD bodyshop that can put all of this together or you'll be farked.

Bottom line, too much hassle.

Quick Reply: SIDE EXIT EXHAUST----Lets have a REAL post about this..