Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

for those of you with 5/16 motordyne spacer..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 PM
norapat01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for those of you with 5/16 motordyne spacer..

I heard many good thing about this piece of mod and dyno graph i found on this site. However, there are 2 member who states that installing this thing will make the intake plenum/engine cover rub against stock tower bar and cause front chasis to vibrate.

So,...does any bodyelse have this problem? I want to know if it a design flaw or the installer error. Also, is i hard to install this thing?

Oh yeah, ....I search about 2hr to find answer to these questions but i couldn't find any....so on flaming ok
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5/16" spacer no rubbing with hood whatsoever, if you install your strut bar correctly.

I've had it on for at least 6k miles so far no rubbing...

Not hard to install at all, just takes the proper tools and patience. It helps to have a long magnetic pickup tool in case you drop a bolt in the engine bay. Read the instructions carefully too.,

Also helps to have a friend nearby.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 PM
norapat01

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
5/16" spacer no rubbing with hood whatsoever, if you install your strut bar correctly.

I've had it on for at least 6k miles so far no rubbing...

Not hard to install at all, just takes the proper tools and patience. It helps to have a long magnetic pickup tool in case you drop a bolt in the engine bay. Read the instructions carefully too.,

Also helps to have a friend nearby.

I see, but what do you mean if i install strut bar correctly? Do i need to take that out or something?

thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by norapat01
I see, but what do you mean if i install strut bar correctly? Do i need to take that out or something?

thanks
Yeah, no way to install the plenum spacer if you don't take off the front strut tower bar.

Check out motordyne's website for install instructions... I'm pretty sure they are there.

Taking on / off the strut bar is easy. I did it in 5 minutes and didn't even know how or have instructions. It helps to have a really, really big wrench though... makes things easy.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 PM
xedes

thanks
Yes you are going to need to take the strut bar off. I am far from a mechanical whiz, and I installed mine. It's really not hard, just read the directions carefully, ( i read mine about 7 times before I attempted it. It helps if you are actually looking at you motor while you read.) make sure you have all the proper tools.( I also used some silicon(sp) spray, to help put the hoses and claps back on)

Good Luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
norapat01

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Yeah, no way to install the plenum spacer if you don't take off the front strut tower bar.

Check out motordyne's website for install instructions... I'm pretty sure they are there.

Taking on / off the strut bar is easy. I did it in 5 minutes and didn't even know how or have instructions. It helps to have a really, really big wrench though... makes things easy.
I see, doesn't sound like much trouble. But the factory strut bar is adjustable right? by removing it, is that gonna mess up/change the factory setting/tension?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
z-u-later

The kit also has washer spacers that you can use to raise the strut bar so it will not rub on the engine cover/plenum. It should not rub the hood at all. I believe the strut bar is also adjustable so you can adjust the height. Just make sure you take your time installing the plenum spacer. Did you order the kit with the ISO thermal gasket and CCV (coolant control valve)?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Few members get into trouble with similar installs because the try to force things to fit. An example is stripping the bolts that attach the strut brace to the body. You should be able the thread the bolts by hand.

The height of the brace has some play. Loosen the locking nut. Turn the other nut to increase-decrease tension. The brace will move up and down. Tighten locking nut.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 AM
davidv

by removing it, is that gonna mess up/change the factory setting/tension?

No. The strut brace is a strut tower brace: it does not hold the top of the strut. Adjusting the brace does not move the top of the strut.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 AM
norapat01

Originally Posted by z-u-later
The kit also has washer spacers that you can use to raise the strut bar so it will not rub on the engine cover/plenum. It should not rub the hood at all. I believe the strut bar is also adjustable so you can adjust the height. Just make sure you take your time installing the plenum spacer. Did you order the kit with the ISO thermal gasket and CCV (coolant control valve)?
??? dunno...this is what i order
http://www.intensepower.com/mo5isothplsp.html
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
norapat01

new info for me, didn't know the brace could move up and down..thanks davidv. Yeah i don't really want the brace to rub against the hood, 'cause i got INGS cf hood coming in.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
z-u-later

You're good, that's the same one I ordered and installed.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
2005daytonaZ

if you go by what motordyne has written at the end of directions about how many turns to go on the tensioning nut...you should be fine...i never had a problem with mine...made sure to mark the locking and tensioner nuts before i did anything though.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
davidv

You also got the thermal gasket (the gasket with the 6 round holes).
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 PM
norapat01

so...no problem with any leaks around gasket and spacer?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

Few members get into trouble with similar installs because the try to force things to fit. An example is stripping the bolts that attach the strut brace to the body. You should be able the thread the bolts by hand.

The height of the brace has some play. Loosen the locking nut. Turn the other nut to increase-decrease tension. The brace will move up and down. Tighten locking nut.
sorry to bring this thread back, but do you guys think the spacers on the strut bar will affect performance? It's elevated by 4 spacers, so the base of the mount is not contacting the frame.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM
skyydiver

not at all...you are still maintaining 4 solid contact points on each side of the strut and with the bolts torqued down to the proper specs, all is good.

-J
Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Biochem7
sorry to bring this thread back, but do you guys think the spacers on the strut bar will affect performance? It's elevated by 4 spacers, so the base of the mount is not contacting the frame.

No way for a human being to feel a difference.