Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

NISMO/Weldina Exhaust Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 10:33 PM
jetjammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up NISMO/Weldina Exhaust Installed!!

Finally, got my exhaust installed today!

No digital cam...no Pics
No technical savvy...no sound clip
No scale...no weight

I do have a dyno though....Butt Dyno!

This is what it looks like:

3 pieces: Y-pipe, middle pipe w/cat, muffler assembly.

All stainless steel looking simalar to stock but much bigger diameter pipes. The catalytic converter is smaller though. The exhaust tips are slightly ovate and each has tie NISMO logo etched on the side (kinda like the Stillen), looks really nice. The muffler has NISMO embossed/stamped in it and a small metal Weldina "label" with S/N & P/N welded (really clean) in the corner.
There wasn't a scale available, I can't even give y'all shipping weight as to it was shipped with other stuff in a crate. What I do know is that it is lighter. When we took off the stock system and compared it you can definately feel the diff. Most of the savings was in the muffler assembly, that stock one was really heavy. I realize it a big gap but if I were to guess, I'd say 7-13 lbs. lighter. I'll try to get numbers from NISMO.

O.K. so it looks good..........

When I first started it up I thought it was quieter than the stock, bummed out a little... Then stepped on it to check for any leaks (there were none) and it came to life! Sounds much deeper not necessarily lower and much sportier. In my opinion, by no means, ricey. My G35 buddy says it just gets better as it breaks in. Only have about 10 miles on it since install, I was late for work. It does have more sound at start up since the first time (chow run).

O.K. so it sounds good........

After I installed my Injen intake, it felt like I lost some of the low end torque/less power from stop but stronger after about 3500 rpms. All of the torque is back and then some! There was plenty traffic on the way so I wasn't able to run hard all the way to work, but she wanted to run. the few times that I was able to open up there was a noticeable diff. ButtDyno doesn't give numbers but I was pushed back into my seat harder than with the stock. I'll try to remember to post back in a couple of weeks with more info, pros &/or cons.

Yeah, I know it was expensive, I was worried & even had remorse before even receiving it. But now, I'm really happy with my decision. Getting something (Y-pipe on back) from the mainland would't have been much cheaper for me anyway. By the way, how does a titanium set-up sound anyway? I wouldn't think it would have a growl or would it?

Haven't decided whats next yet. Wish list, probably like everyone else's:

Chip upgrade
Headers
Suspension upgrade
Torque converter
Brake upgrade
Old 03-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Zmeflyby

good work...
all we need know is some pix.

plz plz plz
post pics if u have a chance
Old 03-23-2003, 12:59 AM
joeshow750

jetjammer,
I'm a little confused. This exhaust came with a single catalytic converter? A stock Z has two catalytic converters that are placed before the Y-pipe. It also has a pre-silencer located on the mid-pipe. Did you mean to say the pre-silencer rather than the cat, since you said "middle pipe w/cat?"
Old 03-23-2003, 03:54 PM
jetjammer

I'm a little confused. This exhaust came with a single catalytic converter? A stock Z has two catalytic converters that are placed before the Y-pipe. It also has a pre-silencer located on the mid-pipe. Did you mean to say the pre-silencer rather than the cat, since you said "middle pipe w/cat?"

No, I'm confused. I thought it was the pre-silencer but the guy installing it said it was the cat. Didn't make sense to me but what do I know.... More than I thought and learning more everyday!

Put a little more mileage on it and am more & more impressed. I'll try to get pics soon.....

Went to the Auto Show today try to find out more about NISMO in the U.S. I missed the high level guys "in the know" (last day, beautiful weather). The guys that were there told me don't expect anything till at least Sept., maybe longer, but it WILL HAPPEN. They told me they were just repeating what they heard from the NNA bosses on Fri & Sat. I tend to believe them, if they were blowing smoke up my okole they would have told me something sooner than Sept. I'm sure. I couldn't find out what the hold-up is. They also told me that all would be covered by Nissan warranty, I'm not 100% confident about that yet till I here from someone higher up the ladder. NNA Hawaii is about 15 mins away, I'll work on them over the next few weeks.

Off topic:

Finally got "The Run" DVD! As hard as I tried, I was only able to get one. There must have been a secret stash, the rep told me these were the last 3 on the islands, and they didn't get that many anyway. Other good news, at least to me, only 15 Z's per dealer on the island. Thats 3 X 15 = 45! I know of at least 11 that went to the outer islands from this inventory. I had such a hard time deciding between G35C & my Z, I see plenty G35 Coupes.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:44 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the guy installing it is an idiot because the thing on the striaght pipe is a silcener not a cat...i want to slap this guy with a trout
Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 AM
joeshow750

the guy installing it is an idiot because the thing on the striaght pipe is a silcener not a cat...i want to slap this guy with a trout
jetjammer,
Yeah, I wouldn't go back to this installer for anything else if I were you. He is either lying to you to see how much you know, that way he can rip you off later based on your knowledge level...or he just doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, best to go to a different place, if possible, next time.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Here is an article regarding power gains with the Weldina exhaust.

Article

Excerpt: "Adding to the Z’s already stellar performance is the NISMO Weldina stainless cat-back exhaust system, which increases horsepower to 295 and torque to 280."

Steve