Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 AM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motordyne

Hello Everyone,
I’ve decided to make what could be a one time post here to acknowledge Motordyne Engineering---specifically Tony Colette.
I’m quite involved in the FX35/45 online community. I've autocrossed my FX35 several times and have had it to the track twice. I've done quite well at both. The FX is an amazing vehicle.
I installed Tony’s 1/2 “ plenum spacer about 1.5 yrs ago

November 30 of this yr, my FX just flat out had some sort of catastrophic failure.
I had to have my car trailered 300 miles to Zimbrick Infiniti in Madison, WI.
(the closest dealer to me)

A few days went by and I was informed that a wiring harness connector had failed. I was informed a day later that the ECU had been taken out, also. More than likely because of the failed connector. They replaced that, too.
I was then told that my 1/2” Motordyne spacer gasket was leaking just a bit. I told them to go ahead and replace it knowing that would be out of pocket. (The FX carries a 4yr/60,000 mile warranty. I have 58,414 miles on mine)

That’s when it got interesting. I was then told I had an exhaust restriction and that both converters were plugged. Vacuum tests showed only 6 in. instead of 20 in. They (their tech guy) said that the slight prolonged leak from my spacer gasket plugged my converters. They wanted me to pay $2,000.00 for two new converters.
I’m no mechanic, but common sense and some knowledge told me something was wrong with this picture.
After consulting with 3 people that do know what’s going on, I decided to fight their conclusion.

I decided to go Motordyne’s website to send an email to them. (Just trying to cover all my bases) I then saw the phone number there and decided it couldn’t hurt to try and talk to someone. It was Tony that answered the phone. He runs a completely hands on operation and has been the one to answer the phone the 3-4 times we’ve talked about this situation.
Tony jumped in feet first and was extremely helpful. He didn’t need to help as he did because no one was questioning the merits of his spacer. They were trying to pin the problem on a slight leak in a gasket I had installed 1.5 yrs ago.
He prepared a list of analytical questions as to how they arrived at their conclusion. I drafted a letter and included Tony’s questions at the bottom indicating that I wanted each question answered in writing with corroborating data and evidence to support each request.
I asked that they acknowledge receipt of my correspondence by replying in kind.
One of the service advisors, Lorrie, responded saying her immediate manager was on vacation until 12/18/06 and that she would forward my letter on to Infiniti to see if they would agree to cover the 2K for the converters. That was 12/11/06.

Last night, I heard back from Lorrie and my car is fixed and ready to go. They decided to go good for it and I couldn’t be happier.

I believe Tony Colette was instrumental in providing his knowledge and insight into my situation and cutting to the chase with his list of pertinent criteria, the answers to which would have had to have been addressed in order to come to a logical analysis and conclusion.

I will say that Zimbrick Infiniti of Madison has treated me extremely well in the past. Extremely well, especially considering I bought my FX on Ebay in August of 2004. This incident got off on the wrong track.

“You trust your mother, but you cut the cards,” as my dad was known to say from time to time.

My FX will be delivered back to me tomorrow. Zimbrick also shipped a G35X up here for me to use. Way beyond what I would have ever expected. I don’t believe there are many dealers out there that would have taken care of me like that. Maybe none.

Last edited by wireboltman; 12-20-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 AM
GMZ

Yep, not too surprised either, got my spacer from him personally. Gotta love them engineers with there analytical minds!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 AM
first350

Tony at MD is a stand up guy! I've always had good experience with them. Glad to hear that others think so too.

-Peter
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 AM
z-u-later

Kudos to Tony @ Motordyne! I have the 5/16" plenum spacer and couldn't be happier. Kudos to the Infiniti Dealership for what sounds like a great customer service!

Now here's my question -- what if the same situation occured on a 350Z and brought to a Nissan dealership?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Kudos to Tony @ Motordyne! I have the 5/16" plenum spacer and couldn't be happier. Kudos to the Infiniti Dealership for what sounds like a great customer service!

Now here's my question -- what if the same situation occured on a 350Z and brought to a Nissan dealership?
That's easy - no loaner, no help, overpriced repair at owner's expense. And the bathroom key chained to a broom handle left on the windshield wipers. (it happened to me)
Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the props guys!

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Now that's a damn good question.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Tony. I called him about a slight problem, and he helped me out the whole way. Very good guy!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
OCG35
Banned

Default More Kudos to Motordyne

I just had to pull up this thread up to give a BIG to Tony @ Motodyne!!! For the past several years Tony has gone above and beyond to help me with various intake related projects - advice/suggestions, in person and over the phone. I have called Tony on numerous occasions and he has always been extremely willing to listen and help.

Most recently he sent me replacement part (that I'm not even sure I need yet) - not only that, knowing that I was wrapping up a project this weekend, he made sure to expedite it swiftly so I had it in time!

Thanks for everything Tony!!! I wish all my business and personal transactions and interactions were as positive!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL Thanks for the props Mike!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Motordyne-threadnecroid4.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Darkness75

i bought my 5/16 spacer from tony ,i couldnt find one of the tools to install it so i called him in my time zoon was 4pm at his was 5am ,,,, he answered my call and help me to find another way to install it without the missing tool ...after i realized the time difference and i was so sorry for that but he was more than helpfull even when he was a sleep looool , +1000000 to Tony he is the god of cutomer service
Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 AM
tanabe350z

tony is a great dude helped me with my own mistakes lol props to tony
Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
twin001

Nothing but great things to say about Tony @ Motordyne from me. Very helpful, informative, and unbiased in all of his claims. His customer service is second to none. It's nice to have Tony supporting g35driver and my350z.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkness75
Tony he is the god of cutomer service
Agreed. He is an excellent vendor, when it comes to customer service...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
AznSky

yeah I just ordered my MD spacer even though there's tons of other spacers for much lower cost. I've never spoken to tony directly but I've read countless info about how good the customer service is and how much engineering he's put into his parts.

Only thing is I didn't order directly through Motordyne but through visionary racing, hopefully it still helps you out Tony!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Gingervitis526

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On top of the great products and customer service he offers a military discount!