Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you leap into buying new fuel injectors, go to a shop and have them hook up a scan tool to see what the fuel trim looks like. If the there is a huge difference in trim between the L and R bank then there is likely a faulty injector. Also they can check your AFR if you have factory WB02.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by cubu
so what ever came of this problem?
Glad there is still some interest in this. As of right now, the CATS are back on and the smoke is gone. Car is running fine and I have a brand new Injen SES exhaust sitting in the box in my garage that I am too damn scared to put on because I am still unsure if there is a major problem with my car. Before I go to the extra expense of paying to get my headers taken off (so I wont get busted and my warranty voided) and am keeping very specific recordings of my oil levels to see if there is a problem with my car burning excess oil. Right now I am a little over 100 miles and there is no sign (I know it will take longer to tell for sure) of any oil burning.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by chris'smax
before you leap into buying new fuel injectors, go to a shop and have them hook up a scan tool to see what the fuel trim looks like. If the there is a huge difference in trim between the L and R bank then there is likely a faulty injector. Also they can check your AFR if you have factory WB02.
Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find someone to do that.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
cubu

throw the exhaust on, it can't hurt
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 AM
jehamilton_98

throw the exhaust on, it can't hurt
I don't know you, but I like you're thinking. I wish I could bring myself to do it but I just cant. I want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my car. I have 3000 miles left on my warranty so I want to make sure that I can use it if I need it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 AM
stein

I see above you have ~32,000 miles on an 04', your engine and transmission are covered for 5 years or 60k miles; powertran warranty.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by stein
I see above you have ~32,000 miles on an 04', your engine and transmission are covered for 5 years or 60k miles; powertran warranty.
So let me get this straight. For any of the possible problems (mentioned in this thread) there is coverage for it under the powertran warranty? I was thinking that everything would go out at 36K miles and that this 5 year, 60K mile warranty was something that had to be purchased extra. If you are correct... You have made my damn day.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
cubu

yes 36k warranty is bumper to bumper, so if you seat is messed up you get it replaced or if your paint chips for no reason it gets repainted, 60k powertrain warranty covers tranny and engine and comes with pretty much every new car
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
cubu

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/warranty/

for a dealer to void your warranty because of aftermarket parts, they must prove that the part is the source and cause of the problem. i'm sure there are dealers out there that will say that an intake voids your warranty and that they won't cover it, either take it to a different dealer or call NNA(Nissan North America) and file a complaint

do you have non foulers installed or o2 simulators? does your car run funny? do you still get the fibers on your exhaust tip? does your stock exhaust sound different?

a forum member is selling predrilled non foulers for 20$ shipped https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ne+check+light

Last edited by cubu; 04-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey check this out, I have an 05 Z non-revup base model. I have been consuming oil since day 1. I thought that with time and a couple of oil changes this would go away and it didn't. I had test pipes and was told by the dealer that this was the reason why (BS). I then removed the test pipes and put the cats back on and took it to a different dealer. They said it was cause I used synthetic oil again more BS. They gave me a free oil change and asked me to bring the car back in after 500 miles so they can check my oil level. I know my car and 500 miles won't show anything and they know that too. Well I couldn't get to the dealer after the 500 miles infact after 2000 miles my oil level was down to zero. I called the dealer back and told them what happened and they told me to go get another oil change and bring it back after 500 miles. I'm taking my car back tomarrow for the 500 mile check and If it shows that I'm consuming oil they will replace my bottom end. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted you see that the test pipes had nothing to do with it, and that not just the revup has oil problems.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
jehamilton_98

do you have non foulers installed or o2 simulators?
No, I have my stock CATS back on.

does your car run funny?
No, the car runs fine. It also ran fine when I had the test pipes on and I was leaving a 1/4 mile trail of smoke.

do you still get the fibers on your exhaust tip?
Nope, not at all.

does your stock exhaust sound different?
No, sounds just like it did before I started this downward spiral.

Also, thanks for the link. If I decide to go back to test pipes I will look into those.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
cubu

wow hope they replace your engine, thats pretty bad. i believe that our cars consumes oil from the get go and not something that starts after some usage right? they should replace your engine either way cause driving around with no oil couldn't be good.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by 05Z33
Hey check this out, I have an 05 Z non-revup base model. I have been consuming oil since day 1. I thought that with time and a couple of oil changes this would go away and it didn't. I had test pipes and was told by the dealer that this was the reason why (BS). I then removed the test pipes and put the cats back on and took it to a different dealer. They said it was cause I used synthetic oil again more BS. They gave me a free oil change and asked me to bring the car back in after 500 miles so they can check my oil level. I know my car and 500 miles won't show anything and they know that too. Well I couldn't get to the dealer after the 500 miles infact after 2000 miles my oil level was down to zero. I called the dealer back and told them what happened and they told me to go get another oil change and bring it back after 500 miles. I'm taking my car back tomarrow for the 500 mile check and If it shows that I'm consuming oil they will replace my bottom end.
Sounds like you are getting the run around my friend.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted you see that the test pipes had nothing to do with it, and that not just the revup has oil problems.
Also, thanks for pointing this out. Although, I am not for sure if the test pipes did not have anything to do with the smoke or not. I know that the CATS will filter out smoke if it is still smoking. I am still wondering if there was not something wrong with the test pipes that I put on and something went bad and the steel wool packing in the resonators was getting hot and catching fire and blowing out my exhaust. Waaaaaaay too many "what if's" and "could be's".
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
crewmsu5

I have the same problem...I think its the MR res TPs. It's prob burning off loose fibers in the TPs. I also have a small leak from the TPs not sealing properly on the stock headers.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/warranty/

for a dealer to void your warranty because of aftermarket parts, they must prove that the part is the source and cause of the problem. i'm sure there are dealers out there that will say that an intake voids your warranty and that they won't cover it, either take it to a different dealer or call NNA(Nissan North America) and file a complaint

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ne+check+light
If you really belive that have fun when you take your car in for big work, and you get raped in the ****. With a voided warranty.

Its not smoking because of your cats, they are getting clogged up with the oil smoke. Testpipes do not smoke, not using nonfoulers does not create smoke. Bad sealing exhaust does not create smoke. Oh yea and if you change the oil yourself they can void your warranty because you do not have proff (recipts) of your oil ever being changed. lol. Go nissan and thier horrid customer service.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
cubu

Originally Posted by rocks
If you really belive that have fun when you take your car in for big work, and you get raped in the ****. With a voided warranty.

Its not smoking because of your cats, they are getting clogged up with the oil smoke. Testpipes do not smoke, not using nonfoulers does not create smoke. Bad sealing exhaust does not create smoke. Oh yea and if you change the oil yourself they can void your warranty because you do not have proff (recipts) of your oil ever being changed. lol. Go nissan and thier horrid customer service.
there have been many cases where an engine was replaced even with mods, just do a search on these forums. your dealer was just giving you a hard time, did you try other dealers or call NNA?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called NNA, i couldnt take it to another dealer because the dealer pulled the engine a few days after i brought the car in.

Last edited by rocks; 04-10-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
jehamilton_98

Smoke is back
Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jehamilton_98
Smoke is back
Hey I just got back from the dealer and we're waitng to hear from nissan on the final OK to replace my motor. The service manager said that he is sure that they will replace it and get me a loaner car too. I'm going to try and get them to install a set of headers I got here when they swap out my motor.

Have you been burning oil too?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
jehamilton_98

Hey I just got back from the dealer and we're waitng to hear from nissan on the final OK to replace my motor. The service manager said that he is sure that they will replace it and get me a loaner car too. I'm going to try and get them to install a set of headers I got here when they swap out my motor.

Have you been burning oil too?
Well, I have been checking my oil since this whole mess started (going on two weeks) and I can not tell that there has been any oil burnt from my dipstick. Have you checked out the vids I posted at the beginning of this thread? Was your car doing something similar?

Quick Reply: New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad