Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:45 AM
jehamilton_98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad

Ok, I still have the problem from this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/258306-topspeed-resonated-test-pipes-weird-sound-after-install.html But that is the least of my worries right now. Here goes the details.

Installed Megan Racing resonated test pipes about 10 days ago. Started out with just the problem from the above thread. This last weekend a friend who is driving behind me calls me to let me know I have smoke pouring out of my exhaust. Later that night, the Service Engine Soon light pops back on.

Information: It is a 2004 6speed with 32,000 miles. Oil levels are a little low but nothing to indicate that it is burning a lot of oil. After hard driving the temperature gauge stays at normal. Engine runs fine. No missing, no loss of power. No water in my oil. Coolant levels are fine and the coolant color is fine. Smoke color is not black. If I had to say it is a mixture between white and blue... grey maybe? The smell is not like it is burning oil. It is more like actual smoke smell mixed with the typical no CAT exhaust smell.

Here is what is going on BEFORE the car is warmed up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuxJo5eGGz4
(Notice that D@MN SQEEEEEEAK is still there but that is the least of my worries right now)

Here is what is going on after the car is nice and warm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK6XIHkYqeU

Here is the weird part... Look at these closeup pictures of my exhaust. The inside of the exhaust tips are coated with these burnt fibers shown here:

It there something in the test pipe resonator that burns off that may be causing the smoke and the fibers on the exhaust tip? Again, any help would be apreciated.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 AM
tranceformer95

Just a guess but that looks like fiberglass, maybe parts of your mufflers or resonators.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
Just a guess but that looks like fiberglass, maybe parts of your mufflers or resonators.
Is there anything in the resonators that if it got hot enough, would burn off?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SES light: always install non-foulers with test pipes. Sometimes you can get away with the pipes as is, but why take the risk.

Test pipes do not make the motor burn oil or coolant. Thanks for the video. The white smoke is serious. I suspect a fuel injector problem.

Search for previous posts by silkk. Same problem.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 AM
blueper4mancez

are you on stock exhaust ? i had the same issue in my 04 , running testpipe with stock exhaust will cause this . but i suggest you looking out the oil too.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:52 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by davidv
SES light: always install non-foulers with test pipes. Sometimes you can get away with the pipes as is, but why take the risk.

Test pipes do not make the motor burn oil or coolant. Thanks for the video. The white smoke is serious. I suspect a fuel injector problem.

Search for previous posts by silkk. Same problem.
Thanks Davidv, I really hope that is the problem. Going to try some Fuel Injector cleaner in a bit and see if that makes the smoke go away or at the very least make it less. If that works, I'm going to see if I can find some new or nearly new fuel injectors for sale. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this is nothing HUGE going wrong.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by blueper4mancez
are you on stock exhaust ? i had the same issue in my 04 , running testpipe with stock exhaust will cause this . but i suggest you looking out the oil too.
Yes I am still on stock exhaust. Since you were on the same setup, did yours finally go away? Did you have the same fibers on your exhaust? Any details would be apreciated.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are oils that burn off in resonaters, but it usually burns off in the first 10-20 minutes. It comes from the steel wool packing. If i were you i would take every thing aftermarket off of it and return it to stock and take it to the dealer to get a new engine.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by rocks
There are oils that burn off in resonaters, but it usually burns off in the first 10-20 minutes. It comes from the steel wool packing. If i were you i would take every thing aftermarket off of it and return it to stock and take it to the dealer to get a new engine.
Will DCSports headers void my warranty?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 AM
rocks

They will find anything to void your warranty. They voided mine because of a aftermarket muffler. People will try and tell they cant do it but they can and will. If it happens it takes up to 2 years in court and at least 10-15k$ in attorney fees. Put your stock manifolds back on if it doesnt quit smoking and your cats on. Take it in and let the dealer fix it, and dont worry about people saying your screwing over nissan, because they screw over people all the time.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
cubu

i'd remove the test pipes and install the stock cats and reset the ecu, remove the y-pipe and start up the engine to make sure its not the resonator or muffler causing the smoke, its strange that it only smokes when its heated up, also check the CEL code
Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
cubu

you can get the code checked out for free at your local AutoZone
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
rocks

The resonater or muffler would not cause smoke for that long. They smoke for 10-15mins max, not for a week. I watched it again when i came home, to me it looks like your burning oil. Fuel injector stuck open will cause a black smoke. Water is white. Oil is a light blue. Probably bad valve guides, or seals.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
jehamilton_98

Checked to see what the ECU code I throwing. It said that I was throwing 3 codes. One of these came up twice. P0420 TW (Two-Way) Catalyst System, Bank 1 and P0430 TW Catalyst System, Bank 2.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM
blueper4mancez

it never went away , so i decided to took the testpipe out , cause i didn't want to clean the exhaust consistently . i think you should run aftermarket exhaust as well . for betterflow maybe too much airflow coming out of the testpipe and you stock exhaust is too restictive. as you can see now i do run testpipe but with aftermarket exhaust problems free . good luck man .

and also you might have to do what ROcks told you . he's been there done that . get an 07 if that's your last choice man .

Last edited by blueper4mancez; 04-04-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM
rocks

Those codes are because your rear o2 sensors are telling the car there are no cats.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by rocks
Those codes are because your rear o2 sensors are telling the car there are no cats.
If there were other problems, would it have set off other codes than those two?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
cubu

its hard for me to believe that those fibers on the pipes don't have anything to with the smoke

either take the car in, or you need to narrow down the possibilities yourself,
Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
cubu

are there any pre-revups that suffer from oil consumption?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by cubu
are there any pre-revups that suffer from oil consumption?
Exactly what do you mean?

Quick Reply: New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad