Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your valve stem guids or seals are worn it will not set off codes. The only place those fibers could possibly come from is the steel wool packing breaking up in the resonator. But I highly doubt thats going to happen. I have some broken megan test pipes and the steel wool will not just escape out of them. Do a compression test on your car. The tool to do it is like 20$ at autozone.

If you are burning oil like that, its the only place that i can think it would come from.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
jehamilton_98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
If your valve stem guids or seals are worn it will not set off codes. The only place those fibers could possibly come from is the steel wool packing breaking up in the resonator. But I highly doubt thats going to happen. I have some broken megan test pipes and the steel wool will not just escape out of them. Do a compression test on your car. The tool to do it is like 20$ at autozone.

If you are burning oil like that, its the only place that i can think it would come from.
Will a compression test tell me if it is my valve stem guides?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
rocks

yea if you are leaking some oil it the compression could be higher in some cylinders, if its lower compression your rings are worn. Worn rings will cause smoke too. Pull off you oil cap while your car is idling and see if smoke is coming out or if you can feel air coming out of it.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
jehamilton_98

Well, yesterday I took off the testpipes and put the CATS back on. Seemed to smoke a little at first but NOWHERE near anything like it was. I have been reading on the site about oil consumption and the huge list of problems with that. A lot of people didn't even realize they had a problem until they put testpipes on. Right now I am worried to death. Still have the DCSport headers on my car. I am going to try to find a shop today that will put the stock headers back on. I just hope I can find someone to do it before Saturday, that is when I have an appointment at Nissan. I put the headers on myself but it took ALLLLLL DAAAAAAMN day. Anyone have any idea how much the charge will be to put the stock headers back on?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
cubu

did you try without the y-pipe connected? worth a try since someone had this problem and was fixed when they installed an aftermarket exhaust. as for the headers voiding warranty, it really depends on the dealer you go to. what i meant from my earlier post was that i thought oil consumption problems were only with the revup engines
Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by cubu
did you try without the y-pipe connected? worth a try since someone had this problem and was fixed when they installed an aftermarket exhaust. as for the headers voiding warranty, it really depends on the dealer you go to. what i meant from my earlier post was that i thought oil consumption problems were only with the revup engines
Well, I am going to sound like a total idiot here (probably because I am when it comes to mechanics) but what is a revup engine? Also, when you asked if I tried it without the y-pipe connected, did you mean if I ran the engine without the y-pipe being connected to the test pipes and checking for smoke? If that was your question, then no I didnt try that.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
cubu

RevUp engines are 298hp engines with higher redline used in 2005 track and 35th models and all 2006 models. RevUps are the ones known for oil consumption, go back to your readings on oil consumption and i would bet all of the problems are with the Revup.

and yes i meant just running your car from the cats and no exhaust, there is someone in this thread that had the same problem you did till he installed an aftermarket exhaust. this may or may not be the problem, but it worth a try before you spend around 500$ for the header install.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
jehamilton_98

RevUp engines are 298hp engines with higher redline used in 2005 track and 35th models and all 2006 models. RevUps are the ones known for oil consumption, go back to your readings on oil consumption and i would bet all of the problems are with the Revup.
I seem to learn something new every single day on this forum. Thanks guys. No, I do not have a RevUp engine.

and yes i meant just running your car from the cats and no exhaust, there is someone in this thread that had the same problem you did till he installed an aftermarket exhaust. this may or may not be the problem, but it worth a try
Well, I suppose you are right. I should probably try that. I do have a brand new Injen SES exhaust sitting in my garage right now waiting to be put on, I'm just scared to do it with all the trouble I have been having. So far though, I have had ZERO smoke from the rear end since the test pipes have been taken off. I know that the CATS will filter a lot out but if it was oil burning off as bad as my video's show dont you think even though I put the CATS back on SOME smoke would still show?

before you spend around 500$ for the header install.
You think they will charge me $500 to put the stock headers back on?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 AM
cubu

well since you have an aftermarket exhaust you shoulda tried the exhaust before removing the test pipes, but since there is no more smoke either you are consuming oil OR your exhaust is not getting as hot and not as much flow and not causing anything to smoke, i really don't think its oil consump. for your car to smoke like it did, you should be able to notice your oil level dropping

need to clear some things up problem occurred not directly after test pipe but a little while after correct? and nothing else was done right? and the fibers started to show up when the smoke started?

yes, header installs are an arm and a leg, i've seen quotes from 400$ - upwards of 1000$

since there is no more smoke at this point, it would be useless to take the stock exhaust off, i thought your car was still smoking. what i would try now is reinstall the test pipes and remove the stock Y-pipe and see if it smokes like it did before, if it doesn't then install your new exhaust and you will be good to go, i pray it is that simple for you, good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
cubu

i know its alot of work but its nothing compared to the headache you are in for if something is wrong with the engine... header install, warranty issue, weeks of your car being out of service, etc. don't just go assuming the worst till you exhausted all other possibilities. with your case since you recently installed test pipes thats probably the culprit and i would work backwards to find the problem... is it the test pipes? did the test pipes cause the problem? what i really think is that the test pipes introduced alot more heat to your stock catback exhaust by bypassing the cat, that ontop much greater flow which is compounded by your free flowing headers, all to much for the stock cat back to handle so something is burning or overheating and blowing the fibers out of you exhaust
Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
jehamilton_98

well since you have an aftermarket exhaust you shoulda tried the exhaust before removing the test pipes, but since there is no more smoke either you are consuming oil OR your exhaust is not getting as hot and not as much flow and not causing anything to smoke, i really don't think its oil consump. for your car to smoke like it did, you should be able to notice your oil level dropping
Right now, I am about 3/4 a quart low. My stick reads about 1/4 of an inch away from the low mark.

need to clear some things up problem occurred not directly after test pipe but a little while after correct? and nothing else was done right? and the fibers started to show up when the smoke started?
Correct, correct, correct.

yes, header installs are an arm and a leg, i've seen quotes from 400$ - upwards of 1000$
That suuuuucks.

since there is no more smoke at this point, it would be useless to take the stock exhaust off, i thought your car was still smoking. what i would try now is reinstall the test pipes and remove the stock Y-pipe and see if it smokes like it did before, if it doesn't then install your new exhaust and you will be good to go, i pray it is that simple for you, good luck.
Well, I would try that but here is my problem. I am using a friend's lift. He does mechanic work for people out of his garage. He stays VERY busy. I have been using his lift and tools free of charge and I really feel like I am becoming a pain in his a$$ over all of this. So, I do not have it in my heart to bug him anymore over this.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
jehamilton_98

i know its alot of work but its nothing compared to the headache you are in for if something is wrong with the engine... header install, warranty issue, weeks of your car being out of service, etc. don't just go assuming the worst till you exhausted all other possibilities. with your case since you recently installed test pipes thats probably the culprit and i would work backwards to find the problem... is it the test pipes? did the test pipes cause the problem? what i really think is that the test pipes introduced alot more heat to your stock catback exhaust by bypassing the cat, that ontop much greater flow which is compounded by your free flowing headers, all to much for the stock cat back to handle so something is burning or overheating and blowing the fibers out of you exhaust
That is exactly what I think. The guy that has been helping me with this said that it is a funny thing to him that I have NEVER had a days trouble out of this car UNTIL I put the testpipes on. After I get off work today I am going to check my oil levels and then run the hell out of is and see what happens.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just some initial thoughts:

Doesn't oil blowby burn blue-ish?
Isn't coolant and/or water condensation vapor white-ish?
Isn't fuel vapor white-ish?
What did the exhaust vapor smell like? Oil? Fuel? Water vapor? The nose knows. But don't breath the fibers. Fiberglass/asbestos = bad to breath. Hold a match up to it just to be sure... JK!! :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 04-05-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:41 AM
cubu

im sure if you explain it to him he'll understand, isn't that what friends are for? he's a mechanic and should know how much its saving you, or ask him if you can use it when he's asleep, lol, im sure it will work out

you are measuring oil when the engine is cold right?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
rocks

Its not smoking as much because its all getting clogged up in your cats. And do not take your car in with the headers on it. They will void your warranty and tell you thats the cause of it.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
joe645733

do u have a stock exhuast? with just the megan racing TP's?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by gothchick
Just some initial thoughts:

Doesn't oil blowby burn blue-ish?
Isn't coolant and/or water condensation vapor white-ish?
Isn't fuel vapor white-ish?
What did the exhaust vapor smell like? Oil? Fuel? Water vapor? The nose knows. But don't breath the fibers. Fiberglass/asbestos = bad to breath. Hold a match up to it just to be sure... JK!! :-)
Again, it doesn't really smell like oil smell to me. The smoke was grey in color. The test pipes had no oil residue in them. Just moisture which is normal.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
jehamilton_98

you are measuring oil when the engine is cold right?
Yes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by joe645733
do u have a stock exhuast? with just the megan racing TP's?
Stock exhaust. Stock Y-pipe. Megan Racing testpipes (which are now off), and DCSports headers.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
cubu

so what ever came of this problem?

Quick Reply: New problems, this time may be baaaaaaad