Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Is getting an '06 airbox w/a K&N worth it for my 03?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007 | 06:52 AM
sixsigmalarry

Default Is getting an '06 airbox w/a K&N worth it for my 03?

I was leaning towards getting a Pop Charger, but while searching (yes, I searched...lol) I ran across a few posts that claim an 06 airbox is a good upgrade for a non-revup engine.

Is there any dimensional difference or features from an 03 and an 06 airbox? Or is is just the 'velocity stack'?

So....is it worth it?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:08 AM
halfass872

Yes buy mine for sale!! lol Yeah the velocity stack is the only fifference. It'll give you a decent gain with the K&N, without sucking in hot underhood temps.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265887
Old 04-23-2007 | 08:02 AM
sixsigmalarry

Default Did you feel any difference w/it? You know..the butt dyno.. :)

I'd be interested in buying yours, but I need to know if it is REALLY worth it.

Honestly, while your airbox is 1/2 the price of used Pop Chargers...if it does nothing for me, then I'd rather spend a little more money on a dyno proven mod. No offense....I'm sure we you, I, and everyone feels that way.

So...you and anyone's feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2007 | 09:04 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by sixsigmalarry
I'd be interested in buying yours, but I need to know if it is REALLY worth it.

Honestly, while your airbox is 1/2 the price of used Pop Chargers...if it does nothing for me, then I'd rather spend a little more money on a dyno proven mod. No offense....I'm sure we you, I, and everyone feels that way.

So...you and anyone's feedback would be much appreciated.
Never been to the dyno, so i can't really back it up. Search around. I read a bunch of posts that had good things to say, that's what talked me into it. Honestly if you want loudness, i'd go with the pop charger. But read around and see what you think. Worse comes to worse, you can sell it again.

P.S. i wanna see pics of yoru audi. I had a TT and i really gained respect for the old origional Quattros.
Old 04-24-2007 | 12:10 PM
sixsigmalarry

Default Well....

I bought a JWT and the 06 intake w/the K&N (a stealth mod for autocrossing....gotta look stock...for now!)

If anything, I can sell one or the other!

Thanks to the 06 intake seller for posting!
Old 04-28-2007 | 07:36 AM
TSur

I was wondering the same thing about the stock 06 airbox vs the 03 one.

I plan on getting the K&N filter but been reading about the 06 but don't really know if the cost to get a new airbox vs the difference is worth it or not. (I don't know what it cost to get a new 06 airbox is????)

sixsigmalarry did you get this installed yet? What are your thoughts?
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:17 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

I'm sure if you look around, there are tons of 06 owners who don't need their intake box anymore.

You can probably get it for really cheap.
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:18 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm sure if you look around, there are tons of 06 owners who don't need their intake box anymore.

You can probably get it for really cheap.

I see your on a rampage.. LMAO.. can you please delete the 5 billion useless threads.. Thanks
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:20 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by jonb7007
I see your on a rampage.. LMAO.. can you please delete the 5 billion useless threads.. Thanks

do a search for any thread title that starts with "What is"
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

I'm on a mission to end newbism
Old 04-28-2007 | 04:34 PM
TSur

I'm on a mission to end newbism
/rude

I guess I could spend months reading all of the posts hoping I come up with what I was looking for... I was searching on POP chargers 1000+ threads and find out about the 06 airbox and some people feel that is better... So I did a search on that... Come up with 1000 more threads and look threw a bunch but this is the one with the same question I have... How do you think I even came up with this thread anyways? I guess you might not have noticed that sometimes doing a search tends to lead to 5000 posts that match your key words but have nothing to do with the question you have...

I am sure you are the ones who make REPOST comments every time someone who isn't on the forums 24/7 after they put a link of something that thought was useful, but someone 2 weeks ago posted about it.

This is a prime example of the reasons I do not post on here much at all.
Old 04-28-2007 | 04:39 PM
gregtotheb

ive had both and i like the popcharger better on my 06
Old 04-28-2007 | 05:42 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TSur
/rude

I guess I could spend months reading all of the posts hoping I come up with what I was looking for... I was searching on POP chargers 1000+ threads and find out about the 06 airbox and some people feel that is better... So I did a search on that... Come up with 1000 more threads and look threw a bunch but this is the one with the same question I have... How do you think I even came up with this thread anyways? I guess you might not have noticed that sometimes doing a search tends to lead to 5000 posts that match your key words but have nothing to do with the question you have...

I am sure you are the ones who make REPOST comments every time someone who isn't on the forums 24/7 after they put a link of something that thought was useful, but someone 2 weeks ago posted about it.

This is a prime example of the reasons I do not post on here much at all.
I guess you can't please everyone.

Never mind the thousands of my posts that have helped people.

FYI, I do a lot more than tell people to search and make REPOST comments. But since you have <100 posts I guess you didn't know that.

I always point people in the right direction no matter how newbish their comments are.
Old 04-28-2007 | 06:23 PM
TSur

I guess you can't please everyone.

Never mind the thousands of my posts that have helped people.

FYI, I do a lot more than tell people to search and make REPOST comments. But since you have <100 posts I guess you didn't know that.

I always point people in the right direction no matter how newbish their comments are.
You make me LOL "But since you have <100 posts I guess you didn't know that." Yep you got me!

I know you have added a good amount of info to this site. I have looked at the 100 questions and also the info you added about the MREV2. Both had alot of good info in it.

But really that is not the point here. Telling me to do a search didn't help me in any way and adding the comment added a bitter taste in my mouth. All it did was give you a higher post count and pissed me off.

Think of it this way; Just because I helped an old lady cross the road once doesn't give me the right to be rude to others??? "Well this one time I helped an old lady so I can be a a$$ to you if I want."

So with that said I don't feel my question was a bad one... I posted to see what the guy who just bought it now thinks of it. I was also wondering how much the airbox cost new. I know what he paid for it used (there is a link to the in this for it) and I have seen others who have posted them in the past. I did another SEARCH in the forsale and didn't see anyone selling it so I was thinking about going to a dealer and getting it if it wasn't overpriced.

Anyways, I guess I could have handled a "do a search" reply, because that is almost exspected to coming from some of the regulars. But next time please leave out the "newbish" comment(s).
Old 04-28-2007 | 08:57 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TSur
You make me LOL "But since you have <100 posts I guess you didn't know that." Yep you got me!

I know you have added a good amount of info to this site. I have looked at the 100 questions and also the info you added about the MREV2. Both had alot of good info in it.

But really that is not the point here. Telling me to do a search didn't help me in any way and adding the comment added a bitter taste in my mouth. All it did was give you a higher post count and pissed me off.

Think of it this way; Just because I helped an old lady cross the road once doesn't give me the right to be rude to others??? "Well this one time I helped an old lady so I can be a a$$ to you if I want."

So with that said I don't feel my question was a bad one... I posted to see what the guy who just bought it now thinks of it. I was also wondering how much the airbox cost new. I know what he paid for it used (there is a link to the in this for it) and I have seen others who have posted them in the past. I did another SEARCH in the forsale and didn't see anyone selling it so I was thinking about going to a dealer and getting it if it wasn't overpriced.

Anyways, I guess I could have handled a "do a search" reply, because that is almost exspected to coming from some of the regulars. But next time please leave out the "newbish" comment(s).
I'm actually still trying to figure out how I pissed you off in particular.

I never even told you to search for anything, I merely suggested that you might be able to find an 06 airbox for CHEAP because several people don't really need them anymore. (As opposed to buying from a Nissan dealer which costs somewhere in the range of $150-200 IIRC) The "newbism" comment was not directed at you in any way.

I think maybe you misunderstood the comments by some of the premier members in this thread. I believe they have noticed that I have been on a "rampage" of locking threads in the Intake / Exhaust section. My comments about "I'm on a mission to end newbism" had nothing to do with you, and nothing to do with this thread. These comments were referring to the dozen useless threads in this forum that get started every day, which are neither serious questions, nor are they well-thought-out questions, nor have the people posting said questions tried searching AT ALL for their answers.

I lock these so called "useless" threads because they clutter up the intake/exhaust forum and make it harder for people to search, browse, and find what they are looking for. They do nothing but elicit rediculous and offensive responses (AKA FLAMING) which, if you look at the Intake/Exhaust rules, NO FLAMING is the first listed rule.

So, I get some flak sometimes from people who think I'm a dick. Frankly I don't really care, because everyone who has been around here for a while knows that I'm trying to make the forum a better place in good faith, and in earnest.

With that said, have a nice day, and if there is anything I can help you with, I am very responsive and friendly in PMs

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 04-28-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2007 | 08:07 AM
TSur

Well I guess I took this personal because it looked like you were talking about me and the post being "newbish." Put yourself in my shoes and read this post and you should be able to see how I would think that.

How was I to know that you guys were making random comments about other stuff in this thread and that the comments really where not pointed to me?

My replies where to not just you and I should have said "you guys" and not just "you." Someone said to do a search for "what is" or something and you said "search around," so I took that the same...

Anyways, no big deal I guess. I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like being called a noob so that is why I got all pissy. So thanks for the explanation so now I don't feel bad. Also thanks for answering my question about the cost of buying it the box new. That is really all I was looking for in the first place.
Old 04-29-2007 | 09:55 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Of course the miscommunication was on my behalf. But I had no way of knowing someone would jump in and take offense at something not directed towards them
Old 05-02-2007 | 04:12 AM
Track

Every day.
Old 05-02-2007 | 07:52 AM
davidf

I see 06 boxes in classifieds daily. Cheap.
Old 05-02-2007 | 08:27 AM
ct350z

can you feel the love?

Quick Reply: Is getting an '06 airbox w/a K&N worth it for my 03?