Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Megan Racing Test Pipes are complete crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:51 PM
UHATEIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirty5ounces
got mine on ebay used and still got 18k
i noticed in your previous post that you have another set of test pipes (Xerd) why did you get rid of the megan, or were those BEFORE the megan?

did you also went on support brackets to the megan tp's since you had them that long?

I know megan is pretty cheap on ebay evwen brand nerw is around $100!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:51 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by UHATEIT
I was really considering getting those megan test pipes. this is a problem it appears with may things i see on the forums, sometimes things work and sometimes they break... I guess it is just luck....

btw Machupo were these bought from ebay or from Megan themselves? Just wondering if they sell the lower quality ones on ebay as opposed to better ones from the factory with warranties???
There is zero difference between the Megan branded ones and the Ebay ones. Neither have a warranty.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Track

Originally Posted by THE TECH
To reiterate, this is not a problem with the test pipes, it is related to the exhaust system you are using. The Nismo has the most problem with this.
The NISMO cat-back? It has a problem with excessive movement or what?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:12 PM
black06z

Megan has come a long way, but their exhaust products are nowhere near the quality of the brands such as Crawford, Kinetix, APS, Helix..etc....
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Track
The NISMO cat-back? It has a problem with excessive movement or what?
The Nismo seems to add stress to the test pipes which cause them to break at the welds. If you have a muffler shop make a couple of bracing pieces for you, the Megans should end up working fine.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:31 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Nismo seems to add stress to the test pipes which cause them to break at the welds. If you have a muffler shop make a couple of bracing pieces for you, the Megans should end up working fine.
Are you referring to the nismo y-pipe specifically, or the overall design of the nismo exhaust (nismo, fuji, arc, etc.)? TP's don't have hangers, but HFC's do?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:28 PM
NETSHARK

THIS IS REALLY TRUE, I have Fuji cat-back including the Y-Pipe and my TP`s are UTR Resonated with support brackets, few days ago i`ve checked under my car and i saw that the flang between the Y-Pipe and the TP`s moved a little (got them 10K miles), and i guess i`m so lucky that my TP got support brackets or it should have gone by now, also i know a friend of mine got Nismo Exhaust and his Kenetix TP was broken because of the Nismo Exhaust, the biggest problem is the Nismo Y-Pipe, dunno if the same applies to Fuji Y-Pipe but that`s what i have heard and that`s whats happening here to the OP.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:48 AM
darbyhouse

Originally Posted by nzpv03
someone forward this thread to megan

Done.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:49 AM
darbyhouse

Originally Posted by black06z
Megan has come a long way, but their exhaust products are nowhere near the quality of the brands such as Crawford, Kinetix, APS, Helix..etc....
Any thoughts / comments on Borla TD Cat-Back?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
jehamilton_98

My experience with Megan Racing test pipes is one for the books. The ONLY test pipes I have ever seen to catch fire and blow out your exhaust. Took them off and have since put on Injen SES exhaust and not one bit of smoke since.

Here is the smoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK6XIHkYqeU

Here is what was burning stuck to my exhaust.

Since then, I have talked to quite a few people that have had the EXACT same thing happen to their cars.

STAY AWAY FROM MEGAN RACING!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
darbyhouse

Dude, that totally blows....why the smoke again? Film in the pipes burning off or is it continuous?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
jehamilton_98

Originally Posted by darbyhouse

Dude, that totally blows....why the smoke again? Film in the pipes burning off or is it continuous?
The smoke was continuous after the car got warmed up. I believe it was something in the resonator that was burning and blowing out. I thought that it was something that would go away but after 4 full days of leaving James Bond smoke screens around town I ripped the junk (Megan Racing resonated test pipes) off and have not had the problem since then.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
06MagneticZ

Like THE TECH said, this isnt really a tp issue, more a Nismo catback issue. I have the same tp's with the Nismo and my tp's cracked...twice! The exhaust itself has lots of movement and puts alot of stress on the pipes. Therefore they crack, break, whatever. You may just have to secure the entire exhaust itself. I still havent figured out what Im gonna do about it. Car is going into the bodyshop in a few days so for now it will have a cracked tp until I get it back. Mine still sounds good, just has a really loud rattle at low rpms. If you figure something out let me know. I'll keep you guys posted if I come up with something.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
carlos067

+5000 on megan rp's not lasting very long. however I have a question: is it more of a welding issue on the tp's or more of a too thin gauge steel that they are using? Because if it is that the gauge is very thin, no matter how good the weld are the material just can't take it at those points. I bought a megan y pipe recently as a hold me over, but could tell right away that the gauge was a little thin and really wouldn't be surprised once it failed.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
NaNa-Papa-J

Originally Posted by Machupo

If anything the purpose of the Y-pipe is to dampen vibrations and movement (hence the mesh sections) coming from down the exhaust system due to torquing of the entire engine, ...
Actually, those mesh sections are called flex pipe and are not the reason behind the Y-pipe. They are either welded or bolted to the Y-pipe. The purpose of the Y-pipe is to collect the exhaust gases from both exhaust headers and merge them into a singe exit flow. This is why you can buy Y-pipes w/o any flex pipe in them. Y-pipes that come with flex pipe sections are just convenient but not necessarily normal.

Besides that, I'm sorry to hear of your frustrating experience. Best of luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
UHATEIT

Originally Posted by carlos067
+5000 on megan rp's not lasting very long. however I have a question: is it more of a welding issue on the tp's or more of a too thin gauge steel that they are using? Because if it is that the gauge is very thin, no matter how good the weld are the material just can't take it at those points. I bought a megan y pipe recently as a hold me over, but could tell right away that the gauge was a little thin and really wouldn't be surprised once it failed.

I currently have a megan racing y-pipe, were you saying yours failed or you wouldnt be surprised if it does fail?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
carlos067

Im saying I wont be surprised if it does fail... like I mentioned, right on the ends of the y-pipe where the flanges are you can see how thin the steel is and if the tp's are as thin as that, then IMO no matter how good the welds are when certain points are subjected to fatigue from engine movement it will fail. So maybe welding on a support so that it can rest where the stock cats do or just another point period might work. Again its just my 2 cents
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Machupo

thanks for the replies, all -- sorry, haven't been on in a bit

basics are that you get what you pay for -- i'll be putting better stuff on in the future (when i get back to the car)

Nana: yeah, totally agree that y-pipes are for exhaust flow merging -- i was speaking specifically of the flex sections (i thought all y-pipes had them). Looked back to my original comment and realized that it wasn't clear, my bad

have a great summer with your Z's all!

thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 AM
furiousZ

Look at STRUPS test pipes if you don't mind unresonated. I got mine for 150 on sale at PartShippers (who are great guys! Amazing service, quick delivery) The quality of them is great! I love the gains that came with it. You're right, you can feel it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
HockeyZ39

I had megan test pipes with my Nismo, the cracked at the welds to the resonator. I re-welded them and put on a borla and had no problems but ended up changing out for something with a support bracket. The megan did sound alot better.

EDIT: I got my Xerd for 90 $bucks if u don't mind unresonated =)

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Test Pipes are complete crap