tranceformer95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are some pix of the 'gap'.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 AM
Track

Rockin!

Thank you x !!!!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... well, that picture is worth twice that plus dozens of hours of searching and reading and head-scratching and nose... nevermind.

This is great! You have no idea how long I've been looking for something like that. No problem! I can seal that off easily. Thank you again for taking the time to contribute so much! People like you and Gothchick and Wired make this forum rock.

You guys are assembling the ultimate end-all thread of CAI and high flow filters. They said it could never be done, but heck... here it is!

Great information! Thanks to everyone who is working on this issue and reporting results.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 AM
MasterRacer

Good thread fellas! I would def agree that the Jim Wolf Pop Charger
is very prone to heat soak, I took my car out for a spin yesterday at around 3:15 pm. The car had been sitting all day up until this point and noticed that from the get go if I layed down the gas it would feel a bit sluggish until I hit highed speeds 3rd/4gear +. I belive the outside temp was in the low 80's here in VA, not very hot but its enough to see the change in performance when you are running around with this JimWolf kit in a somewhat hot enviroment. My engine did run idle for a few minutes before running but still I will have to consider going with something else, I noticed this problem last summer with the pop charger. I do also do feel a difference in the engine as far as performance goes when I leave for work early in the AM when its nice and cool out not hot AT ALL! This is just something I have seen over time and because of the times of day I drive my vehicle. Iam no engineer with degree but it's just my .2 from my personal experience!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 PM
World Famous Z

Originally Posted by Track
Thank you for the report!!!! That rocks.

I also read where the Stillen has an opening in the bottom that does not show in the pictures. Can you verify this? Is this a hole that could be covered without harming anything? How big?

How does it sound compared to the JWT? I've heard they ALL sound somewhat alike, but you are the only one I know who has tried them both back-to-back. So.... How about the sound comparison? Is there really a difference?

Sorry for all the questions. Believe me, I've searched (and searched and searched....).
The stillen has an opening at the bottom, but I believe (and I may be wrong) that this is there for a reason. I think it's there to keep air circulating through the airbox chamber portion. The GRUPPE_M intake I had back in the day had a similar opening at the bottom, when air is being pushed through the duct in the core support towards the filter, you need a constant circulation of air or the intake system will starve.

Picture opening a window of a closed room. Then, with the same window open, open a door to the same room, and you should get a current of airflow. I believe (and again i may be wrong) that this is the purpose for such openings...

Sound wise, i've found most open element filters to have a similar sound, however the longer the pipe (such as on nismo or AEM etc), they tend to have more of an echo effect and the intake sometimes sounds louder than under hood intakes IMO... And i've gone through 5 intakes, too
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
The stillen has an opening at the bottom, but I believe (and I may be wrong) that this is there for a reason. I think it's there to keep air circulating through the airbox chamber portion. The GRUPPE_M intake I had back in the day had a similar opening at the bottom, when air is being pushed through the duct in the core support towards the filter, you need a constant circulation of air or the intake system will starve.

Picture opening a window of a closed room. Then, with the same window open, open a door to the same room, and you should get a current of airflow. I believe (and again i may be wrong) that this is the purpose for such openings...

Sound wise, i've found most open element filters to have a similar sound, however the longer the pipe (such as on nismo or AEM etc), they tend to have more of an echo effect and the intake sometimes sounds louder than under hood intakes IMO... And i've gone through 5 intakes, too
Very good point! And great info to know about the Gruppe M too! Thanks for the info and your time. I will definitely use this information in my decision-making process once I get the Stillen in my grubby little paws.

Thanks again. To everybody who has contributed in this thread!

This should be a sticky. I've learned more about the CAI issues in this thread than in the dozens and dozens hours of searching I've done in the last few weeks.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Screw it, next time newb asks "what's the best intake" I'll just say stillen

Although I am still apprehensive spending $80+ on a piece of plastic that I could make myself if I felt like it.

Hence stillen = "stealin"

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 05-16-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:31 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Although I am still apprehensive spending $80+ on a piece of plastic that I could make myself if I felt like it.
That's exactly why i bought the popcharger first. Then i got and realized how much i didn't like it. Then 6 months later i said screw it, i'll just buy the one i wanted from the start.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
That's exactly why i bought the popcharger first. Then i got and realized how much i didn't like it. Then 6 months later i said screw it, i'll just buy the one i wanted from the start.

Yep, I've been too lazy to get out the arts & crafts materials and start cutting plastic
Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Screw it, next time newb asks "what's the best intake" I'll just say stillen

From what I've read (most of it written by you!), that is not too bad of an answer. It seems, at least, that we have here two very good options: One for the driver concerned about cost and wanting the best sound and growl from the engine, and one for the driver who is more concerned about the engineering and the physics involved than the cost or "growl," even if that involves doubling the price.

I know you were kidding, Mike, but seriously, it looks like this question is really getting buttoned up here with two very good, distinct options for tuners at each end of the spectrum. I never thought this would be possible and people have joked about this for years, but thanks to some fine research done by yourself and a few members, we really seem to have some answers now.

Um..... Has anyone checked the Weather Channel? I wonder if it is snowing in Hell. No reason.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Stailey

Has anyone actually tried using the Varis Duct along with the Stillen box and filter??
I would like to see how much of an improvement in the butt dyno, sound, and temp.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Stailey
Has anyone actually tried using the Varis Duct along with the Stillen box and filter??
I would like to see how much of an improvement in the butt dyno, sound, and temp.

It should make a difference at speed, but not on a dyno. Sound = no difference really.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:36 AM
StreetOC192

I think this was asked in another thread and I didn't see an answer there, but would the JWT filter work in the Stillen box (size wise) and would it even make a difference. The JWT filter has an open element top whereas the Stillen filter has a closed plate top.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Track

If someone measures the dimensions of their JWT filter element I'll measure and report the inside dimensions of the Stillen air box when it arrives (already ordered it) and then we'll all know.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by Track
If someone measures the dimensions of their JWT filter element I'll measure and report the inside dimensions of the Stillen air box when it arrives (already ordered it) and then we'll all know.
If someone gives me their Stillen air box, we'll all know jk. i'll get it to you when i get home.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:36 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps for any future inventors/ fabricators~ :-)

JWT Pop Charger Dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger-dsc01907.jpg   Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger-dsc01910.jpg   Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger-dsc01911.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 05-17-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM
World Famous Z

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I think this was asked in another thread and I didn't see an answer there, but would the JWT filter work in the Stillen box (size wise) and would it even make a difference. The JWT filter has an open element top whereas the Stillen filter has a closed plate top.
The JWT filter is 100% exactly the same as the Stillen one, it's just that the stillen is a true K&N filter and red, while the JWT is blue. JWT filters will fit the stillen air horn adapter.

and you can't go wrong with a K&N filter IMO...

And yes, a air duct such as the VARIS should help feed some air to your airbox too, but again will only work at higher speeds
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Track

That's a tough call on which would be better.

If you had a Varis duct, then the Stillen seems to have the advantage since it is a straight shot from the duct to the metal plate on the front of the stillen. The plate may increase the longevity of the filter or keep the middle from crudding up before the rest is halfway dirty (just a wild guess).

Without the Varis, the JWT design would probably make better use of the factory cutout and perhaps even make a better intake sound, since the high pitched "slurp" would be a very "directional" sound, an open end would prevent as much of the sound from being dampered by the thick plastic enclosure (this way, the sound would be directed through the factory opening and to the outside rather than the thick plastic walls of the housing).

Again, just speculation... (but that's all we can do so far).
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
m3nthol

alot of info on this thread! thanks

my conclusion to this is;

stillen air box + popcharger filter + varis duct = best intake
Old 05-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Rev-em-hard

I have also decided.

blitz drop in OEM filter
My stock 06 airbox with CF Z-tube
A custom velocity ring for the inside of my 06 box
Ti-tek intake duct
Old 05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
jondimellow

can we just order the stillen airbox without the filter?... where?

Quick Reply: Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger