Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Greddy EVO 2 rattles?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Doc25398

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to cut the whole x pipe. It comes into a resonator and then splits up again into two seperate pipes, I just want to cut the part that it runs together in, and make that a straight pipe. I already have a resonated tp so I dont know if it will avoid rasp if I remove the resonator that is in the x pipe now.

Alex
Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 AM
tranceformer95

I went to a shop for a custom x-pipe last saturday (in preparation for the HFC's and headers going in next weekend). At first, for simplicity, the shop wanted to just cut out the center resonator and replace with a 3" pipe, as well as smooth out the merge into that 3" pipe.

I didn't like it so i had him weld in a pre-made x-pipe.

Here's pix of my custom x-pipe on a Greddy Evo2.

-kept the two sections of the pipes/flanges that connect to the cats.
-moved flex pipe forward to accomodate a bend towards the x-section.
-welded in a pre-made SS 2.5" x-section.
-new piping from x-section back to new flanges.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
I went to a shop for a custom x-pipe last saturday (in preparation for the HFC's and headers going in next weekend). At first, for simplicity, the shop wanted to just cut out the center resonator and replace with a 3" pipe, as well as smooth out the merge into that 3" pipe.

If this is what you were talking about, it's not actually a rattle. It is a noise made by the exhaust interference of the greddy x-pipe. It is a poorly designed pipe which everyone should replace if you have test pipes. I did the same thing when I had it on my 06', it worked great.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by 97supratt
If this is what you were talking about, it's not actually a rattle. It is a noise made by the exhaust interference of the greddy x-pipe. It is a poorly designed pipe which everyone should replace if you have test pipes. I did the same thing when I had it on my 06', it worked great.
I still have stock cats & exhaust manifolds. The ultimate racing cats and strup headers go in on the 30th. And yes, i didn't like the midpipe either, a real crappy design.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Doc25398

Originally Posted by tranceformer95

Sorry to keep this thread going for so long but I just got around to trying to play with my exhaust. Firstly I took it back to the shop and they tried to cut the X pipe and replace the resonated portion with straight piping, but the guy only had blades to cut regular metal and not stainless steel, so he said his blade got warped. I know this is not the best shop around, but they are the only ones who would touch my car after seeing that there was no cats. I put a whole mess of padding on my evap control unit, and that no longer rattles but I found another area for rattle. in Tranceformer95's last two pictures if you see that metal cross bar looking thing on the bottom. My exhaust rattles off of that. I tried to lift the exhaust higher and no luck. My question is can I remove that or perhaps add spacers to it, so that I wont loose the rigidity of the chassy. I am not to sure of that bars actual purpose. and I will try and go to another shop and try and get a custom X pipe made, but if not, is there anyway I can purchase it pre-made like yours?

Alex
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 AM
tranceformer95

I've heard of people using spacers on that brace, so I guess as long as you torque everything down it should be alright.

And no, you can't find anything pre-made like mine. Althought I wish I could have, would have made it easier.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Datona Jess

Mine rattled like crazy there as well.
I just took the corss brace off the car.
It really is not needed...

there are a few of us that I know that have ours off.
I tried foam, and I tried the spacer everyone talks about and I still go it....

So I just kept it off...not worth al the dang hassle for one flimsy peice of metal that really has no major function....

Just my .02
Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Doc25398

daytona, do you know if it helps in the rigidity of the cassy or is not really needed. I am beyond fed up with all my local exhaust shops. I went to 5 in my area, and each made a different diagnosis of what the problem is, and not one wanted to cut my stainless teel pipes, and replace that stupid X pipe. I am thinking about installing the magnaflow X-pipe muffler that was posted in another thread, but my only problem is finding a shop willing to cut out the current X-pipe resonater and install a new one. One exhaust shop thought it was the rear mufflers(before the canisters) and another thought it was the flex joint. I cant find a descent shop that knows what to do or is willing to help. I am about ready to just sell this thing.

/end rant
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
03zcarfl

my greedy evo2 rattles as well it mainly when ever i hit the gas and slowly accelerate but goes away if i hit the gas harder or bout 3200 rpms.... installed it back in november and it just started rattling in april.. def going to check the evap canister and that cross brace
Old 07-07-2007, 07:40 AM
rynzy

i fixed my rattle problem...
got z to 120...
aimed at tree...
rattle from exhaust gone...

actually just reinstalled the system and used a jack to push the center pipes closer to the car and tightened everything...no problems with anything...
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Doc25398

I tried doing what rynzy did, but I just ended up removing the cross brace and no more rattles. I need to find washers, because I think it has a negative effect on my handling.

Alex
Old 07-07-2007, 02:21 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple fix. Since the brace is off. Put several wraps of heat wrap around the exhaust were it actually makes contact. Then put the brace back on. I did this and no problems for over a year now.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Datona Jess

I tried to use some foam or wrap as well and I had the same result
It was mostly under deceleration like some of the others have said.

About the brace
I have road raced my car before and after, and my times after were faster...
Now I have more power and that is what I attribute it too.
I felt no major difference with that brace off....Then again I am not the worlds greatest driver and maybe haven't pushed the car to the point I NEED that brace.

I say leave it off, and just enjoy the sound of the car...not being a rattle trap
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM
VtotheZ

Yo alex sorry to thread jack you, but DELETE YOUR PM's! lol

Im gunna have a small meet at my house with some Z buddies off this forum this friday, You should stop by!!! Hit me up on aim or go to this thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-california/259479-high-desert-anyone.html
Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 AM
SS21CA

Originally Posted by Doc25398
I tried doing what rynzy did, but I just ended up removing the cross brace and no more rattles. I need to find washers, because I think it has a negative effect on my handling.

Alex
If I am not mistaken you can squeeze a metal plate or the like in the gap between the x brace and exhaust which will keep the exhaust from rattling back and fourth.

I had a similar issue when I had my exhaust replaced, the guys at performance nissan were able to fix the problem. You can try giving them a call to see if you can get an answer.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Doc25398

Thanks SS21CA I think I am going to try spacers and wedging something inthere to keep it from rattling, if that fails, I will just keep that brace off. Either way im glad that was the only issue there.

Alex
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh, I have the exact opposite problem that everyone here is having. Instead of hitting that black cross-brace, my Evo2 is hitting the rear differential as well as frame above where the mid-pipe goes over the rear sway. For whatever reason, my mid pipe and x-pipe sit waaaaaaay too high and basically is jammed up against the car.

I have attempted to counteract this by placing washers in between driver's side mid-pipe hanger bracket and the frame, but it doesn't do any good. I took the car to the exhaust shop, and they said they couldn't do anything about it and to "contact Greddy"... yea, cause that'll work

My only other option at this point is to space the two rear hanger brackets that hold the canisters. Maybe by doing that, it will pull the piping down some.

I'm really at a loss here, I love the exhaust as it looks and sounds great (when not rattling against the car). If anyone has any suggestions, my ears are open. One person in this thread recommended heatwrap, which would cushion the piping, but that sounds like a last resort method to me

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Datona Jess

WOW
That is a new one for me
Do you have any test pipes or HFC, that may make the angle rake up?
Maybe if you loosen you bolts a bit, it will squat back down.
I understand you cannot loosen them too much though...
I have never heard of this issue.

Heat wrap, and some heat resistant foam, where it hits is about all I can think of.

Do you have pics?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Spoiled Z

Did y'all evo2 came with instruction manual? What do I do with this metal looking sheet, 2 1/2 metal tube, 2 hoses and hose clamps?

Last edited by Spoiled Z; 03-25-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Spoiled Z

I have been frustrated with the rattle issue with evo2. Just a week ago I decided to put some rubber spacers between the chassis and the cross bar. It went away for a few days. Then once again I got under the car to put some foam between the car and the evap canister and still it was attleing. So, finally earlier today I took it to the hobby shop on base and got it on the lift. I found that one of the pipe(right side)was sitting close to bolt and as soon as I would push up on it it would hit it so then I concluded that this was the cause of the rattle.

One of the tech helped me move the exhaust around this didn't require us to unbolt anything we just wedged a long bar and pushed the exhaust down which created clearance between the bolt and the pipe. I also wrapped the pipe just incase it tries to hi the bolt again.

But if rattles again in the future I'm going to take that part of and dent the pipe that way it won't hit the bolt but so far today I didn't hear any rattles. I'll keep you guys updated. I know it can be frustrating.

Last edited by Spoiled Z; 05-04-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Greddy EVO 2 rattles?!