Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

problem with my current setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:04 PM
angelzhope720

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with my current setup

I have helix test pipes and kinetix y pipe installed on my Z. When I first had it installed, the loudness was mediocre and the rasp was just insane. But I didn't mind. Ever since around two weeks ago (or so), my car has just been getting incredibly loud. Driving normal is loud but not bad (comparable to my RSR gt2 on my old Z), and on WOT it is just insane. It seriously hurts my ears, sounds like a ripping noise especially when you have a wall or truck near you.

Is it suppose to be this loud? I mean, I like to think I'm a hardcore kind of enthusiast (I like my cars loud). My RSR y pipe back exhaust on my last Z with stock everything else was insanely loud. But it was very parallel from normal driving and WOT--it just sounded real nice. But my current setup sounds decent during normal driving but if I open her up a little it sounds like an entirely different car!

Also the sound seems to be coming from the middle of my car and not so much the end. There were some rattles before it started getting really loud (can't really hear it now because of the obnoxious exhaust). Ah, I'm so stressed can someone help? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its as loud as it is. Little that you can do except check for leaks.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow the coils out of your exhaust? Only thing to do really is get rid of those test pipes and switch back to stock cats or HFC's. The rasp will go away along with some of the higher toned exhaust note. $$$$
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
angelzhope720

Just went to the exhaust shop today, seems like my exhaust was completely disconnected from my y pipe. No wonder it was so loud. Now it just sounds stock with a hint of rasp. I don't even feel like I have anything installed. Is it suppose to be this quiet? lol
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

exhaust becoming suddenly loud almost always = exhaust leak
Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
angelzhope720

I thought everything was good but recently the rattles are starting to build up again. I don't understand what's going on, how can an exhaust install be so poor. Everyday it gets worse. You can't really hear it while accelerating, but when the RPM's are dropping you hear rattles at different RPM's. Someone help it's driving me nuts.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
angelzhope720

I noticed the gaskets they used were some kind of very skinny metal. The ones I had on the rsr were a thicker material.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM
angelzhope720

Okay guys I really need help, I'm going crazy. I thought I had everything fixed after I went back to the shop about a week ago. However a day later I started hearing more and more rattles every time I drove my car. Finally I came back to the same problem I started with (my y pipe disconnected from my muffer again).

The shop told me that it's because I have no cats the back pressure keeps blowing my exhaust brackets off. Could this be true? So many people on this forum are running the same setup without issues like mine. I have no idea what's going on, this is the worst exhaust experience ever. The only time I go somewhere to get my car worked on it becomes a disaster.

Someone please help my car sounds like a nascar driving conservative, it's ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

are you kidding me? Never heard that one before

If that is the case, then tell them to put some sort of pipe sealer on the joint to help ensure a tight fit. It took me probably a month to work the rattle's out of my Borla exhaust, i know how frustrating it can be. But once you fix it for good you'll be thrilled. (rattle will ruin the excitement of a new exhaust)
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
are you kidding me? Never heard that one before

If that is the case, then tell them to put some sort of pipe sealer on the joint to help ensure a tight fit. It took me probably a month to work the rattle's out of my Borla exhaust, i know how frustrating it can be. But once you fix it for good you'll be thrilled. (rattle will ruin the excitement of a new exhaust)
That's what I thought. The only problem is that they wont touch my car anymore. They pretty much told me to **** off after illegally installing test pipes on my Z. Oh well. My question is whether I should look around the forum for some kinetix HFC or just find a more reputable exhaust shop so I can fix it. I'm really getting sick of this BS.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 AM
angelzhope720

help someone please... mods? anyone? =(
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

exhaust leak
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by angelzhope720
That's what I thought. The only problem is that they wont touch my car anymore. They pretty much told me to **** off after illegally installing test pipes on my Z. Oh well. My question is whether I should look around the forum for some kinetix HFC or just find a more reputable exhaust shop so I can fix it. I'm really getting sick of this BS.
LOL Yeah, you must be a real "enthusiast" if you have to go to a shop to get TPs installed.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
blasian

I had those test pipes and one of the brackets cracked and the only reason the other one didn't is because it loosened itself from the brace. I'd recommend not using the brackets. I am getting a new set from Gruppe-S so its no biggie.
Attached Thumbnails problem with my current setup-img_1815.jpg   problem with my current setup-img_1816.jpg   problem with my current setup-img_1818.jpg   problem with my current setup-img_1819.jpg   problem with my current setup-img_1820.jpg