Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Mechanic says Cold air intake is a bad thing.. wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
ickysz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic says Cold air intake is a bad thing.. wtf?

So I talked to this mechanic & I mentioned how I ordered a cold air intake, he then started rambling....

"Cold air intakes are bad for your car, when the manifacturer's created there cars, they put top notch parts in them, for example your intake & filter, there the best you can have in your car, if you had anything different it would be very dangerous" This is where he started talking about 18 wheelers.... " Ever heard of 18 wheelers losing control of there trucks, cant slow down?? Well same with your car, if you were to put a cold air intake in your car, the filter & valve are bigger than your factory one, there is such thing as not enough air & too much air, this would let to much air enter your intake, causing the carberator to blow wide open & you wouldnt be able to stop your car, even if you turned your car off, it would still be flying down the road!" ... Ok.... seeing how I already ordered an intake... and this guy is talking ****.. I was pretty pissed off & left.

I've never heard that a cold air intake is bad ... so what the hell??
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM
04DBZ

wut the hell?? So i'm guessing the Nismo CAI is bad for our cars even though Nissan made it!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
stormcrow

yes, those pesky carburetors on the VQ35 are notorious for being blown open by the cold air intakes! i can't believe you've never heard of this!

dude, stay away from alabama shade-tree mechanics... i'll wager he was dipping Skoal, wasn't he... had a mullet even?

Last edited by stormcrow; 06-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dam Mechanics in Alabama dont know Jack Man. LOL

Your not forcing air into your car making it more air, your just feeding your car colder air. Cold air equals better HP. Not saying it will give you HP just saying Cold air will keep your HP stable were hot air will make your car wimp out.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM
6894kevin

Was He A Short Bus Rider

WTF, if you ordered a part for a car then you should know all about the part and all about the car B4 you put it on. You don't have a carb, it's FI and a Z isn't an 18 wheeler.
NEVER go back to that guy and NEVER order something with out research.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
fairlady350z33

time to change mechanics... the performance might not be as good due to the longer piping, but it def won't blow up your VQ.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
GalvatronType_R

While what that mechanic said is untrue, I will put something else out there. CAIs that use exposed filters increases your chances of heat soak and water ingestion. Also, on the Z and from what I've read here, since the Z already uses a CAI, there are minimal performance gains made by aftermarket intakes.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
dcmaxclub

I think someone stole my carburetor. I've looked all around the flux capacitor and even in the improbability drive, and I just can't seem to find it anywhere ????
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
dcmaxclub

Seriously though, no new cars have come with carburetors in the US since the early 90's. You sure this guy was a mechanic?

and since when is there a valve in a CAI?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
06MagneticZ

AHAHAH...ur carburator!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
cessna

And somewhere, a village is missing it's Idiot.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
ickysz

He works as one... I've never had him do anything to my car nore will I ever ... & he DID have dip in his mouth, seriously... lol So someone says you lose performance gains since the pipe is so long? Thought the whole point was to gain? whats going on...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Blue_Z

Originally Posted by 04DBZ
wut the hell?? So i'm guessing the Nismo CAI is bad for our cars even though Nissan made it!
actually Nismo CAI isn't made by Nissan, it's an AEM CAI with a NISMO label.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! This is good stuff!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by ickysz
He works as one... I've never had him do anything to my car nore will I ever ... & he DID have dip in his mouth, seriously... lol So someone says you lose performance gains since the pipe is so long? Thought the whole point was to gain? whats going on...
i knew it! *ahahaha* kinda surprises that he doesn't have a mullet, tho...

re: CAI... you'll find quite a wide variety of opinions on this subject... some people swear by them, others think they are crap... water ingestion is possible without a check valve...which most now come with... just don't drive through any mud puddles or ponds and you should be ok... just so you have my opinion, we in the southern states won't benefit from a CAI... which do you think is hotter...the air 3 feet above the roasting 140 degree asphalt or the air 6 inches above it?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard that Neil Armstrong’s walk on the moon was really filmed on a Hollywood set. Is that true?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Blue_Z

while I don't believe what the mechanic said about the carberuator, I can understand where he's coming from.
for example, I switched to JWT Popcharger and it's been fine. But for others, their engine would shut down when they'd put the car in neutral after driving over a certain speed. (don't ask why they would put it in neutral in the first place) Anyways, after doing more research it turns out that my JWT Popcharger sucks up too much hot air during daily driving and turns out that the stock 06 w/ velocity stack airbox which i had previously, is an all-around better option.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Z-T

My experience with CAI's is that they're usually inefective at producing some, if any real gains in performance (unless you count sound as performance).
The way I see it, 1000's of testing hours, highly paid engineers and millions of $'s produced the Z's we drive - the mechanic has a point to some extent (for reliable, efficient, solid performance). Although I'm not entirely against CAI's, I think that $ is better spent somewhere else. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
ickysz

No no get this, I just called the nissan dealership I go to & asked them if they install cold air intakes, guy said.. "oh yeah, we've had a few, as long as the intake comes with instructions, I'm sure our guys can read them & figure it out"... haha! No thank you!

Quick Reply: Mechanic says Cold air intake is a bad thing.. wtf?