Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen intake- Already ordered: Short ram or cold air?Any Injen owners here??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense to the manufactures/sponsers,

But that dyno sheet is plain bull.

Just from analysing it, the whole graph is a joke. There's no way an intake would yield such gains through-out the whole powerband.

Short ram intakes with good heat shields are the way to go; in other words, Stillen.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
ickysz

Didnt relize this thread had all these responces unteal now...

Well I'm still waiting for my Injen CAI, it SHOULD be here tomarrow, in which I'll be using it as a CAI for now, not short ram, as I'm more afraid of "heat soak" than getting water in the filter (I havnt ran into a puddle since I've owned her). Guess I'll be fine BUT...

The dyno sheet does seem way to good to be true, I dont want to say it's fake but I just dont think it's that reliable. Top thoughts: #1. I dont want anything sucked into the filter. #2. I dont want the intake to rub against anything causing it to crack (saw it in a post). #3. I dont want to LOSE any power or torque. If my Z keeps her factory torque & power, adding a sweet sound WOT, I'll be happy, & if it adds some slight HP/torque I'll be very happy!

I cant afford a SC/ TT / TC anytime soon... so I'll be saving up for spacers, mrev2, headers etc ..for any extra HP/torque gains
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
xlucidx

i orderd my injen monday and got it today at 12 high noon
got it installed as short ram

man i dunno but i dont see how in the world im gonna fit that big rubber tube in there
even if i had the bumper all the way off
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
BaTMan_4

Originally Posted by ickysz
Didnt relize this thread had all these responces unteal now...

Well I'm still waiting for my Injen CAI, it SHOULD be here tomarrow, in which I'll be using it as a CAI for now, not short ram, as I'm more afraid of "heat soak" than getting water in the filter (I havnt ran into a puddle since I've owned her). Guess I'll be fine BUT...

The dyno sheet does seem way to good to be true, I dont want to say it's fake but I just dont think it's that reliable. Top thoughts: #1. I dont want anything sucked into the filter. #2. I dont want the intake to rub against anything causing it to crack (saw it in a post). #3. I dont want to LOSE any power or torque. If my Z keeps her factory torque & power, adding a sweet sound WOT, I'll be happy, & if it adds some slight HP/torque I'll be very happy!

I cant afford a SC/ TT / TC anytime soon... so I'll be saving up for spacers, mrev2, headers etc ..for any extra HP/torque gains
If you don't want to lose power keep it as a short ram. CAI is too big of a tube without enough pressure. SRi there is some heat soak but once you get to speed its functional sucking in cold air.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonLTD
until proven wrong, I'll stick with the manufacture dyno.

I can show gains like that just by heat soaking the engine bay before, then cooling it down for after
Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I can show gains like that just by heat soaking the engine bay before, then cooling it down for after
I'm not saying the graphs are or aren't 100% accurate. I'm just the type that likes to be proven wrong.

I've got free dyno time on Campus. If I get some free time, I'll take my buddy's stock Z for a comparison.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Dynos really have to be done on the same car in the same conditions to even be close to useful.

I went to a dyno day with a bunch a Gs and Zs and I ended up with the highest NA run that day with 255 with an Injen intake and exhaust and 1/4 plenum spacer. Nobody else was within 10hp of me and others had crawford intakes and test pipes. So one car to another there are pretty big variances.

Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Drock

hey whats up..

man its too funny.. this debate will never end..

I tell you.. I lost sleep trying to decide what to do LOL....

until I fianlly went with my orginal decision to go with the Injen intake as a ColdAir... as Ive done on my other cars.. Which I expereinced noticeable gains..

I already had a custom 3" exhaust on.. I had the Ichiba y-pipe and Injen CAI installed at the same time... I did not get ot test y-pipe and intake seperately..... but when I took it out.. there was guaranteed noticeable added power and quickness..... and wicked sound all through 1st, 2nd and 3rd..!

I understand the basics as to why one setup may be better then the other.. and the pros and cons of each, but for me.. I will just leave it as CAI... Im not at a track racing to gain some seconds.. so I dont care... unless faced with a porsche, ferrari, subaru, S4 etc... I will likely smoke anything I come across anyways..

so thats my basic knowledge feedback on that.

plus having Motordyne ISO themal Copper spacer installed tonight !!

should be good

Tony.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 PM
BaTMan_4

Originally Posted by Drock
hey whats up..

man its too funny.. this debate will never end..

I tell you.. I lost sleep trying to decide what to do LOL....

until I fianlly went with my orginal decision to go with the Injen intake as a ColdAir... as Ive done on my other cars.. Which I expereinced noticeable gains..

I already had a custom 3" exhaust on.. I had the Ichiba y-pipe and Injen CAI installed at the same time... I did not get ot test y-pipe and intake seperately..... but when I took it out.. there was guaranteed noticeable added power and quickness..... and wicked sound all through 1st, 2nd and 3rd..!

I understand the basics as to why one setup may be better then the other.. and the pros and cons of each, but for me.. I will just leave it as CAI... Im not at a track racing to gain some seconds.. so I dont care... unless faced with a porsche, ferrari, subaru, S4 etc... I will likely smoke anything I come across anyways..

so thats my basic knowledge feedback on that.

plus having Motordyne ISO themal Copper spacer installed tonight !!

should be good

Tony.
on an NA
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
chefrey

[QUOTE=BaTMan_4]If you don't want to lose power keep it as a short ram. CAI is too big of a tube without enough pressure.

not the best idea with the injen in short ram, cause the filter butts up to the opening behind the bumper but has a closed end filter element. i have been toying with ways to to try and fit an open ended filter on the injen short ram charge pipe but has not happened yet.

for the time being i use mine in cai form and have used it in heavy rain, snow, etc and have not had any issues with it except the filter getting really dirty pretty fast.

i also instaled it by removing part of the black plastic shielding under the car not by removing the bumper.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 PM
BaTMan_4

[QUOTE=chefrey]
Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
If you don't want to lose power keep it as a short ram. CAI is too big of a tube without enough pressure.

not the best idea with the injen in short ram, cause the filter butts up to the opening behind the bumper but has a closed end filter element. i have been toying with ways to to try and fit an open ended filter on the injen short ram charge pipe but has not happened yet.

for the time being i use mine in cai form and have used it in heavy rain, snow, etc and have not had any issues with it except the filter getting really dirty pretty fast.

i also instaled it by removing part of the black plastic shielding under the car not by removing the bumper.

....im shure if you search all the experienced forum members that have talked about this would agree that SRi form would work much better than the CAI version of the Injen (not saying you don't know what you are talking about but there are plenty of threads that get down to the details on every aspect about this debate). The filter having a closed top doesn't mean its not going to suck in air, there is a thread of a member on here that tested temperatures at the plenum and it showed that the Injen got cool air by 3rd gear from a stop even from being inside of the engine bay. The CAI has shown that it is simply to long for it to funtion properly by losing the pressure inside the long tube. As you being concerned with the injen filter try checking out the Apex-i...those should have a filter with the measurments to fit on the Injen.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:34 AM
gothchick

My advice is to just stick with the factory (06) intake since it has a velocity stack and is technically a cold air intake, along with a K&N or Amsoil dropin filter.