Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Ti-C melting my bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D'sNuts
i think i will try that... Jumpin from the pictures doesn't the exhaust look like its as far out as yours?
yeah they look to be in the same position. this issue has me considering another exhaust soon, because i want to get a new bumper.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 AM
D'sNuts

strange.. if they are then i have a feeling that the exhaust temperature of the VQ35HR is a lot higher then that of the VQ35DE.. i live in Murrieta and drove to L.A. last night for H.I.N. and when i got home I couldent believe how hot it was back there i sware i could have fried up an egg on that thing...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the greddy on with test pipes and a y-pipe and it didn't melt my rear bumper. The exhaust system actually runs cooler with test pipes just to let you know.

Here are some pics of mine after I installed it.

And here's what it looks like now with the OEM muffler.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
D'sNuts

hmm funny thing is yours seems to be a lot lower and out further then mine and even jumpins.. im wondering if it has anything to do with the VQ35hr's newly configured exhaust maybe it got shortened just a little?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
97supratt

I did install it with test pipes and a aftermarket y-pipe so thats probably why it stuck out more.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM
97supratt

Thats one nasty melting moment.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
jgregory124

wow Has any other exhaust had this problem?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
97supratt

I honestly think it's the HR motor also. The HR motor creates high exhaust temps when equipped with OEM cats and a single exhaust.

I know if he had the silencer in place this wouldn't have happened.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I honestly think it's the HR motor also. The HR motor creates high exhaust temps when equipped with OEM cats and a single exhaust.

I know if he had the silencer in place this wouldn't have happened.
i have an '04 with testpipes, stock Y pipe and the Ti-C and it melted around mine also.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
i have an '04 with testpipes, stock Y pipe and the Ti-C and it melted around mine also.
I had a different exhaust on my car for two days and it melted a small part of my bumper off. So it's not really the greddy ti-c, it's mainly how close the exhaust is to the bumper and how tucked in the tip is.

Just look at your avatar, look at the angle the exhaust gas is being released. Your bumper is right above it. Exhaust gases can be around 500 degrees, don't you think that will melt your bumper which is made of ABS plastic? lol

Best thing to do is get a longer y-pipe.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I had a different exhaust on my car for two days and it melted a small part of my bumper off. So it's not really the greddy ti-c, it's mainly how close the exhaust is to the bumper and how tucked in the tip is.

Just look at your avatar, look at the angle the exhaust gas is being released. Your bumper is right above it. Exhaust gases can be around 500 degrees, don't you think that will melt your bumper which is made of ABS plastic? lol

Best thing to do is get a longer y-pipe.
oh i knew that was why it melted it. i tried to see if it could be adjusted any, but to no avail. I think I will just wait til October to get my new bumper,exhaust ,and other goodies. I like the exhaust,but really shoulda just found an XO2 somewhere for the same price, but alas I was impulsive.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
D'sNuts

yea the whole HR oem exhaust matched with the Ti-C exhaust is the conclusion im going with as well as i may have a heavy foot.. its a bummer it happend to a car with 2000 miles on it even more so since i thought i had done enough research on the exhaust to know it would be a problem free match.. guess not looks like im just going to have to get that body kit I wanted after all... o and cmon who really wants to put a "sillencer" on their exhaust haha so beware all 07 people out there thinking about putting a Ti-C on your car this will more than likely happen to your bumper as well.. Just on another thought.. i cant really blame Greddy for this can I? I mean in reality if they really are such a good company they should have noticed the difference in lengths between the DE and HR and put in the effort to make a slightly longer mid pipe to accomadate this right? it would after all have saved me a bumper or even if they atleast tested the exhaust on a 07 at high RPM runs to see if there would be any problems like this eh?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
ShakenBake

Wow that sucks man i have had the Ti-c for over a month now and no problems at all. Hope you find a solution
Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by ShakenBake
Wow that sucks man i have had the Ti-c for over a month now and no problems at all. Hope you find a solution
took mine about this long to start getting discolored and then a 3 hour ride to Savannah caused it to melt.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
D'sNuts

jumpin will u be replacing your bumper with a stock one of aftermarket if so stock where are you gonna get it thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 AM
ShakenBake

Damn i hope not, mine doesnt look that close to the bumper but i guess we will find out lol
Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 PM
GodSendsDeath

Yeah yeah looks like a nashty shmelting accident huh? lol.... my gold member impression.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
ExBF Material

Originally Posted by D'sNuts
so went down to Show Stoppers today picked up a Greddy Ti-C and installed it on my 07... Everything went well installing didn't take to long since the car is really new took it out for the night after that and probably made about 4 different trips around town going a little faster than normal at times and giving it some high revs just to see how the bad boy sounded(sounds real good). Came back home and went behind the car to check it out again and notice that a fat piece of bumper has been melted down and bent in some odd form.. i have no clue what could have happend the install went perfect, from what i have seen by others the tip stood out just fine, I didnt go over any speed bumps or big dips... help me out here has anyone ever seen this and what am i supposed to do now? thanks in advance...

Ah yes looks great!

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this... BTW I was told this information from my exhaust installer... but see in that picture, notice that wire hanging? When I asked my exhaust installer what that's really for, I was told that it's necessary to reinstall that onto a bolt towards the end of the exhaust system (I have an Injen True Dual Ti, which does have a bolt to install that ground wire), because it's a ground/sensor to the O2 sensor's on the cats that sends signals towards that ground wire to decrease the amount of gasses sent when heat gets a little too high around the cats. May be true or false but it does make some sense to a certain extent. Just thought I'd help you bud. =)
Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by ExBF Material
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this... BTW I was told this information from my exhaust installer... but see in that picture, notice that wire hanging? When I asked my exhaust installer what that's really for, I was told that it's necessary to reinstall that onto a bolt towards the end of the exhaust system (I have an Injen True Dual Ti, which does have a bolt to install that ground wire), because it's a ground/sensor to the O2 sensor's on the cats that sends signals towards that ground wire to decrease the amount of gasses sent when heat gets a little too high around the cats. May be true or false but it does make some sense to a certain extent. Just thought I'd help you bud. =)
Thats true, but I think he was just taking pictures of the install at that point.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ExBF Material
Bologna. Its a simple ground wire. Take a look at it. Its attached to the frame. That's about it.

Quick Reply: Ti-C melting my bumper