Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

I'm getting the Fast Intentions SS Intimidator exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dspiel
here is my butt

Those tips are smaller than stock ones
I heard this exhaust in person, IMHO, it doesn't sound that much different from stock, just a little louder at the higher rpm's...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Thanks for that info.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

the tips are 2.5"
Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 AM
tranceformer95

FYI there's an optional set of tips you can get from FI. I don't know if it's still available but I bought mine used off a friend.

Last edited by tranceformer95; 10-15-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The FI standard tips are 4" double walled with resonators. Very nice. You can get the titanium single walled tips as an option (if you like that kind of thing). The exhaust is much louder than stock if you swap out the cats as well for either their resonated test pipes or hfcs. It does maintain the stock-sounding growl.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

the exhaust imo is what the nismo should sound like...
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by rcdash
The FI standard tips are 4" double walled with resonators. Very nice. The exhaust is much louder than stock if you swap out the cats as well for either their resonated test pipes or hfcs. It does maintain the stock-sounding growl.
+1 The standard FI tips are 4 inches o/d (same as stock tips). The exhaust is VERY LOUD when matched with the Metallic HFCs!!! Lets just say (for reference purposes), I can no longer hear the intake sound from my fujitas at WOT!!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
Those tips are smaller than stock ones
I heard this exhaust in person, IMHO, it doesn't sound that much different from stock, just a little louder at the higher rpm's...
No, they are not. I was afraid of this too until I purchased the FI exhaust; the tips look x1000 times better. The dual-rolled touch makes it look so classy yet still looks a little bigger than stock (although they are the same diameter).

If it didn't sound that much different than stock, I wouldn't have purchased it. It does retain the VQ note, but its still very obviously a different sound than stock

To each their own.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
FYI there's an optional set of tips you can get from FI. I don't know if it's still available but I bought mine used off a friend.

ugh, exhaust stains, ugh
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by Nexx
ugh, exhaust stains, ugh
Yeah, they're a b*tch to get off completely.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
I had the same problem. Just shim the 4 bolts in the middle and call it a day.
I wrapped the pipe with heat wrap touching that brace, AND put 3 washers on EACH the 4 bolts, still rattles like a ****. Stupid design to put the resonator right where that brace is. Im surprised more people havent posted issues. This is with FI r/test pipes as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by Alberto
I wrapped the pipe with heat wrap touching that brace, AND put 3 washers on EACH the 4 bolts, still rattles like a ****. Stupid design to put the resonator right where that brace is. Im surprised more people havent posted issues. This is with FI r/test pipes as well.
Hmm... thats odd. You might be able to adjust it a little bit more with the two short pipes that connect to the testpipes.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
VitViper

Weird, I have zero issues with mine. And I know you're no n00b with this stuff.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by VitViper
Weird, I have zero issues with mine. And I know you're no n00b with this stuff.
Yeah Im no noob to working on cars, especially Z's. We adjusted those pipes to maximize clearance. I originally thought the brace would put enough pressure on the pipe-(specifically the pass side muffler end that hits)-so that it wouldnt bounce and rattle, but it does. I then wrapped the pass side pipe close to the brace, nothing. Added 3 washers to those 4 bolts, nothing. Im gonna have to find longer bolts, and run 4-5 washers on them.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM
VitViper

Yeah Im no noob to working on cars, especially Z's. We adjusted those pipes to maximize clearance. I originally thought the brace would put enough pressure on the pipe-(specifically the pass side muffler end that hits)-so that it wouldnt bounce and rattle, but it does. I then wrapped the pass side pipe close to the brace, nothing. Added 3 washers to those 4 bolts, nothing. Im gonna have to find longer bolts, and run 4-5 washers on them.
The 3 washers I put on each end lower the brace probably 1/4-1/2". If you're gf's car is lowered I'd be careful... I'm dropped about 1 1/4" and I scrub that brace lightly in areas the rest of the car has no problem getting over. When I had my test pipes put on (I gave up on it myself... flange had to be heated to get one of the ****ing bolts on each bank that's a PITA to get to off, damn 07), it actually raised up the whole exhaust a good bit. No more ratting issues since then.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Gooey

Im gettin asmall rattle here andthere but thats because I half as$ed the install. Illtakealook nexttime andtry to fixit
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
tywinter

I had a small amount of rattle that I located at the "M" or is that "W" shaped brace that is close to the X-muffler. Moved the muffler towards the front of the car and the vibrations went away. Downfall is that the tips don't stick out the reaer as far. O well, no rattle.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I wrapped the piping by the brace AND the brace some more, still had a rattle. I look under again and didnt notice the drivers side pipe coming off the test-pipe going back was touching the body under the car-like under drivers soor almost. It was a VERY small clearance, and that was the cause. Wrapped the pipe good there and its been fine since afew days now. No rattles after all the damn heat wrap anymore. Also preventatively did the pass side exhaust pipe by the sway bar!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Default Question - FI and stock cats

Thru reading up on these and talking to other forum members I've decided to get the FI exhaust and forgo the HFC's (for now) and just stick with my stock cats to see how it sounds/feels before laying down the cash for the HFC's too.

I'm trying to schedule an install this Saturday, but now I have a question. CAN I use my stock cats with the FI exhaust???! Is it an easy thing, or is exhaust surgery involved???

If this is the FI system:

and this is the stock exhaust (if I have this pic right):

Can you easily re-install the stock cats in the FI system?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 AM
tranceformer95

Yes, the FI system will work with your stock cats. And it should be pretty easy to install the exhaust, the hard part is getting the stock one off usually.

Last edited by tranceformer95; 10-12-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm getting the Fast Intentions SS Intimidator exhaust!