Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VO, my car also died after a few seconds.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

if your car stalls out, then it is one hell of a vacuum leak. If you thought you felt the hp gain before, wait untill you get everything figured out. I bet half your HP gain has been flying out the window with the rest of this ordeal. Get it tightened down, strut bar all figured out, and you'll probably be more pleased with the mod then you are now.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was intrested in getting the spacer. I'm holding off for better results.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
if your car stalls out, then it is one hell of a vacuum leak. If you thought you felt the hp gain before, wait untill you get everything figured out. I bet half your HP gain has been flying out the window with the rest of this ordeal. Get it tightened down, strut bar all figured out, and you'll probably be more pleased with the mod then you are now.
+1. I'll work on it tonight. I printed up the instructions. I'll take them home with me and complete the installation process over...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

You might have to sell me that strut Good luck ARC *****

Chris
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by NA&CH
You might have to sell me that strut Good luck ARC *****

Chris
Not on your life....
Old 09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
roast

do you hear any hissing around the engine bay?

have you checked the intake tube at all?

I test drove mine before putting the strut brace back on....
Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by roast
do you hear any hissing around the engine bay?

have you checked the intake tube at all?

I test drove mine before putting the strut brace back on....
I double checked all tubes/hoses. Intake tube and all sensor are attached. I could not hear any noticable hissing sounds either.

I will make sure to leave the strut bar off and test drive tonight.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get some carb cleaner, and spray the edge of the plenum with the car ON. When the cars idle changes, you found your leak.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by vo7848
+1 on the strut bar touching. I tried using the spacers, but the hood was hitting the bar. I took the lessor of 2 evils and opt to have the bar touch the plenum. I'm thinking the vibration is more vaccum leak orientated. The vibration along with the sound it makes doesn't quite seem characteristic of the bar touching the plenum. Another thing that happened when I started the car up a second time, was it died on me. This has never happened before.
VO,

You may need to adjust the tension of the stock strut bar. I'm 99.9% sure that with just a 5/16th MD spacer you do not need to get a new strut bar. I have the Mrev2 + 5/16 spacer and at first when I installed it, the strut bar was rubbing like crazy. After a few adjustments (the middle bolt on the passenger side) everything was all good.

+1 on what Alberto says. If you're still not sure, spray some liquid (water is fine too I think) and you'll see it spraying out from the plenum if you have a leak. Also, it is normal for the passenger side of the engine to hiss a little bit. Hahah... seems like many ppl have been through this including myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 AM
VO...
Administrator

Default Found the leak..

Good news. I removed the upper plenum last night. It was quite obvious where the leak was. There were visible portions of the gasket that had been saturated with vapors/oil. This was the area that was leaking. It was on the rear passenger side of the plenum.

Let me tell you, I missed a few vital steps during installation. Problem was, I didn't have instructions so I didn't think anything about it. I had already installed a plenum before, but not a spacer. The torque specs, necessity of lock-tight, and need to remove the alignment pins are the big differences between installing a spacer vs. a one for one stock plenum swap.

Now that I had instructions I applied lock-tight to the center 6 bolts, I also removed the alignment pins and used two more bolts to fasten the plenum down. Previously I left them in. Of course when I went to install the plenum, they were too short. I didn't think anything of it and decided not to worry about it. I figured the plenum would seal good enough minus the 2 nuts.

The lock-tight is a necessity on account of the center bolts having plastic spacers. The spacers give a bit, so this lessens the torque on the bolts a bit. Without the lock-tight, they just vibrate loose. It was quite evident, because when I went to remove the bolts they were damn near finger tight.
Upon retightening everything I used the tightening pattern along with correct torque specs. All outer bolts finalized at 100 inch libs, while the center bolts reminded at 80 inch lbs.

Final product, I love it. Car runs smooth and idles great. There is a greater throttle response and as before, the 5k to redline has greater pull than stock. IMO it's a good bang for the buck.

I've attached pics to show where the leak was. You can see the saturated portion of the gasket.

VO(satisfied)
Attached Thumbnails 5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...-imgp2886.jpg   5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...-imgp2887.jpg   5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...-imgp2889.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM
VO...
Administrator

BTW, thanks Alberto and Bugs for chiming in with the good trouble shooting tips.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 AM
blasian

Sounds like the exact same problem I had.

Congrats on the install though, its definitely a great bang for the buck.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by blasian
Sounds like the exact same problem I had.

Congrats on the install though, its definitely a great bang for the buck.
Thanks Greg.. I'm also gonna have to adjust my ARC strut bar. It was making contact with the plenum. I figured it would only scratch the plenum a bit when the motor moved. But damn, it torn little chunks out the plenum. That titanium chit is strong! It only had little scuff marks on the underside. The bar has an 8mm bolt at each end of the bar where it swivels on the bolt down bracket. If you loosen the 8mm bolt and pull up on the bar then retighten the bolt, it'll give you about 1/8 inch more clearance. I'm going to try this before I look into buying washers for spacers. The spacer that come with the kit are too thick and make the strut bar touch the hood. I can't afford to scratch the upper side of the strut bar due it being for show. Only problem is, I'm wondering if the bar will lax back down on top of the plenum again after being under tension from a few hard corners.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Glad to hear things worked out for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
Glad to hear things worked out for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Vo7848,

Sorry for the late response but glad to see you found the leak. Yes, the guide pins need to come out. I'm curious, how did you not get the instructions with your kit? We are usually pretty good at getting instructions packaged in.

As for the ARC bar, you may need to do some experimentation with it. The spacer kit has been fully optimized for a stock strut bar but I'm not too familiar with the ARC bar.

Tony

Last edited by Hydrazine; 09-05-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi Vo7848,

Sorry for the late response but glad to see you found the leak. Yes, the guide pins need to come out. I'm curious, how did you not get the instructions with your kit? We are usually pretty good at getting instructions packaged in.

As for the ARC bar, you may need to do some experimentation with it. The spacer kit has been fully optimized for a stock strut bar but I'm not too familiar with the ARC bar.

Tony
PM sent...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hydrazine

Tony
I'm gonna work on the adjustments tonight if I have some time. It should be a problem getting the bar to clear.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

Default Strut bar adjustments were a success...

I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and picked up 16 3/8 washers. I used 2 washers per bolt. It elevated the strut bar approximately 1/4 inch. The was just enough to give the plenum ample clearance and at the same time keep the hood from making contact with the bar. To be on the safe side, I layered the top of the bar with painter's tape then closed to hood to make sure it didn't make contact....

Quick Reply: 5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...