Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If its the MAF, I have the feeling is probably more related to the MAF housing or a related change in its calibration.

Kind of like how a popcharger can cause stalling even when its newly installed.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vo, i didn't follow your whole thread. But have you try take off MD spacer and check?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
matth76

Sounds like you've had a few probs since fitting the spacer. Are they normally quite hard to fit? Have all your problems been fixed?

Last edited by matth76; 04-21-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
If its the MAF, I have the feeling is probably more related to the MAF housing or a related change in its calibration.

Kind of like how a popcharger can cause stalling even when its newly installed.
I got around to cleaning the MAF last night with contact cleaner. It was pretty much spotless when I pulled it off, but I cleaned it anyway. I didn't get to test drive it though, because I ended up drinking one to many Coors and had to stay home. I'll test drive it tonight. Any idea how much a new MAF runs for, off the top of your head?

On another note, I figured out why my ARC induction box kept rattling. It was the filter making slight contact with the upper induction box panel. The engines vibration caused it to rattle.

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Vo, i didn't follow your whole thread. But have you try take off MD spacer and check?
I haven't gone this route yet. I'm really trying to avoid it just for the sheer fact that I have alot of parts that must maintain their flawless aspect for show. If I go taking everything apart, it's a pain staking process of being careful not to scratch anything. Big pain in the ****.

Originally Posted by matth76
Sounds like you've had a few probs since fitting the spacer. Are they normally quite hard to fit? Have all your problems been fixed?
I'm not sure if it's the spacer. I did install the spacer, ARC intake system, and catch can all in the same time frame. Like Tony has said, I really can't point the finger to one specific component without trouble shooting via process of elimination...
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
King350Z

Just read the thread and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I took my Z the get headers installed at some muffler/exhaust shop and when they were done hours later, I went to pick it up. They told me that when I started my car I needed to gas it a little bit so my car doesn't die. I left with that knowledge and after about a month or so, the problem stopped. It would idle high when I first started the car in the morning and drop to normal. Well anyway, I recently reset my ECU and the same problem is now reoccurring. I can't start the car and let off the accelerator without the car shutting off and when I do gas it to keep the car on, I have a VERY irregular idle (similar to yours I'm assuming). When I'm driving and I throw it into neutral, it will decelerate until almost stalling and climb back to normal again. Or when I simply have the car on and give it a little gas, the same problem occurs. I'm gonna try all of the things these guys were saying and see what happens. I have a CAI as well and I'm gonna get rid of it to see where I stand afterward. Good luck with it brother. I'm getting a plenum spacer soon so I hope I don't experience the same problems.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your descriptions in page 2 and 3 of this thread I'm thinking its either the throttle body or MAF sensor.

1) The 2003 throttle bodies have a TSB out on them for this problem. You have a 2003.
2) You have a CAI. They are less likely to cause this specific symptom but it still can.

Without some way of eliminating what the potential cause is we won't be able to know for sure what the source is. Without knowing what the problem is, it will be difficult to fix.

As far as a correlation between idle being detrimental, I would generally say no, but without knowing what the problem is... I can't say if it is or isn't.

Trouble shooting the MAF sensor or throttlebody or spacer is the only way to find out.

And its possible it may not be any of the above. There are a number of potential causes.

It could even be the crank position sensor... but we won't know without a trouble shoot process.
what is the service bulletin? I've had this problem on my stock engine from the beginging of my car, then it continued with the spacer, then further with the forced induction, then when i swapped to a full built engine it still does it (worse now). I've tried different maf sensors and i'm on the PMAS now since i have osiris.

The only common link is my throttle body. I don't want to drop 100$ something on a throttle body and it not be the cause though.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Its a TSB for the throttlebody. It had problems with repeatability or calibration. I don't have specific details on it though.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
binder

Its a TSB for the throttlebody. It had problems with repeatability or calibration. I don't have specific details on it though.
interesting. well do you remember what they check to tell if it's bad? like i said i can't throw around money on something if i don't know if it will fix it. I'm on a budget while in med school.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

No. I only heard about the TSB being an issue.

I would say you could take it to the dealership for a diagnostic but sometimes they won't even do that if you have FI. It won't hurt to try though.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
binder

No. I only heard about the TSB being an issue.

I would say you could take it to the dealership for a diagnostic but sometimes they won't even do that if you have FI. It won't hurt to try though.
dealership is 2 1/2 hours away, they wouldn't touch it when i went FI let alone now with a built block.

Plus the bad part of my motor being down due to head gasket so i have to fix that first. Just hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone when i have it all apart.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

If you can't take it to the dealership, you're going to need to find a mechanic that knows the 350Z really well. ...and a consult II.

Or you could try swapping throttlebodies with a friend who also has a 350Z or G35. If the problem goes away when you switch throttlebodies, you've isolated the root cause and the fix is easy.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 AM
binder

If you can't take it to the dealership, you're going to need to find a mechanic that knows the 350Z really well. ...and a consult II.

Or you could try swapping throttlebodies with a friend who also has a 350Z or G35. If the problem goes away when you switch throttlebodies, you've isolated the root cause and the fix is easy.
just tell me the secret already!

i keed i keed.....i'll have to find a TB to swap and see if that changes anything.

I know it has nothing to do with my FI because i had the FI off the car when i got it out of the garage this spring before i took it to hte tuner. It still did this reguardless of FI or not.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

And be sure to remove the battery negative cable before you unplug the throttlebody.
After the swap do a throttlebody re-calibration procedure.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
binder

And be sure to remove the battery negative cable before you unplug the throttlebody.
After the swap do a throttlebody re-calibration procedure.
hmm, is it bad if you don't disconnect the battery? I don't ever remember disconnecting it before when i've worked on the plenum. Maybe that's what killed mine.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
NJblack350Z

Originally Posted by vo7848
Idle is great Tony. It only happens when I'm coming to a stop and let off of the accelerator. Or let's say I were sitting in my driveway, waited for the car to reach operating temp, then reved the engine. If I reved it, then pulled my foot off the accelerator. The car will boggle down and almost shut off, then regain smooth idle...
just a thought. mine had the same symptoms after my install. i dont know if you ever took your TB off, but check the gaskets. during installing my copper TB coolant thing, the metal gasket slid down off the bolts and i didnt realize it. it was crooked and this caused a leak at the TB. i had the same exact symptoms....
Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by binder
hmm, is it bad if you don't disconnect the battery? I don't ever remember disconnecting it before when i've worked on the plenum. Maybe that's what killed mine.
Never unplug the TB harness unless the battery negative is disconnected. The ECU is constantly monitoring the TB calibration even when the car is off.

If you unplug the TB when the ECU is still monitoring, it will likely throw off the calibration.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 AM
binder

Never unplug the TB harness unless the battery negative is disconnected. The ECU is constantly monitoring the TB calibration even when the car is off.

If you unplug the TB when the ECU is still monitoring, it will likely throw off the calibration.
damn, does it damage it or will i just need to do the relearn?

i've done the relearn process a number of times. every time i take the plenum off i do it but if it damaged the TB then mine is done. lol
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

It will never damage the TB by unplugging it, but it is sensitive to shock, dropping and being pushed open by hand.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 AM
binder

It will never damage the TB by unplugging it, but it is sensitive to shock, dropping and being pushed open by hand.
oh, i'm good there. I treat my parts with care.

i can't wait to get home, tear the engine down, repair it, then test out a new TB....

if that fixes my problem i don't know if i'll be super happy or super pissed that i missed that for an entire year.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by NJblack350Z
just a thought. mine had the same symptoms after my install. i dont know if you ever took your TB off, but check the gaskets. during installing my copper TB coolant thing, the metal gasket slid down off the bolts and i didnt realize it. it was crooked and this caused a leak at the TB. i had the same exact symptoms....
I wanna say my TB gasket is ok. I just have the regular plenum spacer, so I didn't need to remove the TB. On a bright note, the car's idle problem just kind of went away on it's own. I really can't explain it.

Now if I could only figure out what's causing my ARC induction box to rattle at idle, I'd be a happy man...

Quick Reply: 5/16 MD Plenum Spacer Installed. Having Idling Problems...