Nismo midpipe ruined after one day... help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 09:01 PM
Spiffyguitar

Originally Posted by kramykram
The problem is the nismo exhaust BLOWS.
Old 10-12-2007 | 11:42 AM
Spiffyguitar

Now an SES light. The fun continues! Haha.
Old 10-12-2007 | 11:33 PM
gsazabi

You can try getting JIC Y-Pipe. It's super flexible and allows your TP to have more flexibility. It would be better if you can a TP with flange support(such as UTR)
Old 10-13-2007 | 04:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gsazabi
You can try getting JIC Y-Pipe. It's super flexible and allows your TP to have more flexibility. It would be better if you can a TP with flange support(such as UTR)
? the NISMO Y pipe he already has with his exhaust (comes with it) has the same such flex sections

my comment on removing items was direct at kennyl5123
Old 10-13-2007 | 04:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kramykram
The problem is the nismo exhaust BLOWS.
no, the problem is the el cheapo made in god knows where test pipes most people try to attach to this, and other exhausts, "blows"\

get a good set of test pipes and you won't have a problem, ever
Old 10-13-2007 | 07:13 AM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
? the NISMO Y pipe he already has with his exhaust (comes with it) has the same such flex sections

my comment on removing items was direct at kennyl5123
Yea but Nismo Y-Pipe blows. I cracked my HFC cuz of the Nismo Y-Pipe. After switching to JIC no problems. Much more flexible.
Old 10-13-2007 | 09:22 AM
Spiffyguitar

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Yea but Nismo Y-Pipe blows. I cracked my HFC cuz of the Nismo Y-Pipe. After switching to JIC no problems. Much more flexible.
So... the JIC y-pipe fits the Nismo S-Tune exhaust?? if so I'll buy one, and switch over to a higher quality TP, or HFC. Can't wait to get this thing fixed!

Thanks everyone for the input and help so far.
Old 10-13-2007 | 10:06 AM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar
So... the JIC y-pipe fits the Nismo S-Tune exhaust?? if so I'll buy one, and switch over to a higher quality TP, or HFC. Can't wait to get this thing fixed!

Thanks everyone for the input and help so far.
JIC fits Nismo. In addition to being super flexible, it also allows better air flow. Nismo Y-Pipe is piece of crap anyway.
I would recommend UTR resonated TP with it. CAUTION: it'll be super loud though.
Old 10-13-2007 | 10:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

A NISMO Y pipe is a Fujitstubo Y pipe - it's anything but a piece of crap....

again, the problem is the things you guys are bolting to your exhausts, and/or the way you are installing them, not the exhausts themselves.

I've sold countless NISMO exhausts to people - I've never had to replace a single component for anyone in nearly 4 years. The reason being simple? We only offer a handful of test pipes and only 1 brand of cat, because they are the only ones we've used to date that we feel comfortable and confident in.

Not that I am knocking the JIC Y pipe at all - it's a good piece for sure, as is the Tanabe. Hell the Ichiba one is every bit as good as both of them (probably comes from the same place) and it's even cheaper.

I'd love for someone to show me how one Y pipe "flows" better than another. I've used nearly every one on the market at this point - until you go with a very worked NA motor, or forced induction, no Y pipe is "better" that another from any of the major manufacturers.
Old 10-13-2007 | 10:31 AM
gsazabi

A NISMO Y pipe is a Fujitstubo Y pipe - it's anything but a piece of crap....

again, the problem is the things you guys are bolting to your exhausts, and/or the way you are installing them, not the exhausts themselves.

I've sold countless NISMO exhausts to people - I've never had to replace a single component for anyone in nearly 4 years. The reason being simple? We only offer a handful of test pipes and only 1 brand of cat, because they are the only ones we've used to date that we feel comfortable and confident in.

Not that I am knocking the JIC Y pipe at all - it's a good piece for sure, as is the Tanabe. Hell the Ichiba one is every bit as good as both of them (probably comes from the same place) and it's even cheaper.

I'd love for someone to show me how one Y pipe "flows" better than another. I've used nearly every one on the market at this point - until you go with a very worked NA motor, or forced induction, no Y pipe is "better" that another from any of the major manufacturers.
Nismo = Fujitsubo that's true. I have issues with Nismo because it allows almost no flex, which caused many users' TP and HFC to crack.
I'm one of them and now I have no problems with JIC now. You're right about
matter being what being attached to the exhaust is important(i.e. I would never put something without support brace). I'm just trying to help OP get a setup they'll benefit him the most with extra safety.
JIC pipe is straighter than Nismo. However, the biggest advantage would be that it flexes much better to ease the burden on the TP/HFC stress points.
If there's a Y-Pipe is just as straight and is flexible as JIC and cheaper, that's great news; go right on ahead OP.

As for TP I would still recommend UTR.
Old 10-13-2007 | 10:34 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

we'll agree to disagree then
Old 10-13-2007 | 11:09 AM
BADASSTT

If I get the Z-1 test pipes am I going to have to deal with the check engine light coming on all the time.Because if thats the case I will go with HFC's instead.Let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2007 | 10:09 PM
Spiffyguitar

gsazabi JIC fits Nismo. In addition to being super flexible, it also allows better air flow.
I would recommend UTR resonated TP with it. CAUTION: it'll be super loud though.
Thanks for the advice! I am going to replace my y-pipe, and I'll probably use this as a replacement. As far as loud goes it's all good. This Z already has Nismo with TP's, and I use to drive a Camaro with a 40 series Flowmaster.

Z1 Performance we'll agree to disagree then
Well put.. thanks for the advice from both of you. I like forums like this where I can get several points of view, and in this case I'll be taking both of your advice.. I would like to buy my goodies from you to fix my current problem... I just want to make sure whatever I do it's gone for good. I haven't decided on what to replace my current TP's with. I sort of want to change to high flow cats, but a high quality set of TP's would work too I guess. I've debated on just slapping my stock cats on, but I don't want to loose the marginal gains I've made. What would you recommend for HFC's?
Old 10-14-2007 | 09:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
If I get the Z-1 test pipes am I going to have to deal with the check engine light coming on all the time.Because if thats the case I will go with HFC's instead.Let me know.

Thanks
we don't offer any test pipes or cats for the 07 Z at this time, sorry
Old 10-14-2007 | 09:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar
Thanks for the advice! I am going to replace my y-pipe, and I'll probably use this as a replacement. As far as loud goes it's all good. This Z already has Nismo with TP's, and I use to drive a Camaro with a 40 series Flowmaster.

Well put.. thanks for the advice from both of you. I like forums like this where I can get several points of view, and in this case I'll be taking both of your advice.. I would like to buy my goodies from you to fix my current problem... I just want to make sure whatever I do it's gone for good. I haven't decided on what to replace my current TP's with. I sort of want to change to high flow cats, but a high quality set of TP's would work too I guess. I've debated on just slapping my stock cats on, but I don't want to loose the marginal gains I've made. What would you recommend for HFC's?
The only high flow cats we will ever sell are those made by Ultimate Racing. I used these on my own since 2003, and they have performed admirably. We offer them in both ceramic and metal substrate, and details can be found on our site on each:

Metal: http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...t&prodid=2747\

Ceramic: http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ust&prodid=580

Please note the newer versions of the UR cats (for the last several months) do not have the bracket anymore - precisely for the reasons I've outlined already. The factory cat has a bracket because of the weight of them. These Ultimate Racing ones weigh substantially less than stock, and as such, do not need any such bracketry. We've used these cats extensively with the NISMO and Fujitsubo exhausts, among others (Stillen, Borla, HKS) without incident.

For the Y pipe, I'd recommend the Tanabe one, or if on a tighter budget, the Ichiba one (we offer both)
Old 10-15-2007 | 12:46 AM
Spiffyguitar

Welp... after doing a little more reading (I'm tired so it wasn't much) I decided to order the JIC y-pipe to replace the Nismo. Of course I'm a man of my word, so the order was placed with Z1 Performance.

As far as replacement cats/tp's go I'm still scratching my head a bit. It seems like everywhere you go someone has had issues with Nismo conflicting with one combination or another. All input is welcome and obviously being put to use. Haha. All I know is that In less than 3 weeks I'll have spent something like 2 grand on my Nismo before I'm done with everything (and I don't even have headers!!).... If it's still giving my crap after this I'm going to scrap everything and just drive around with an open exhaust.
Old 10-15-2007 | 05:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Sorry to add insult to injury, but check your email - we no longer offer JIC products, and have been in process of deleting all their items from our site. The reason is due to their lack of after-sale support. We made the decision as a result to not offer their product line any longer.

For Y pipes, we offer the Fujitsubo, Ultimate Racing, Ichiba and Tanabe

Sorry for any inconvenience
Old 10-15-2007 | 08:56 AM
Spiffyguitar

Sorry to add insult to injury, but check your email - we no longer offer JIC products, and have been in process of deleting all their items from our site. The reason is due to their lack of after-sale support. We made the decision as a result to not offer their product line any longer.

For Y pipes, we offer the Fujitsubo, Ultimate Racing, Ichiba and Tanabe

Sorry for any inconvenience
Man... not my week I guess. I didn't see Fujitsubo, Ichiba, or Tanabe y-pipes on your site.
Old 10-15-2007 | 09:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Fujitsubo: http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ust&prodid=307

Ichiba: http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...st&prodid=2837

Tanabe: http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...st&prodid=2836
Old 10-15-2007 | 09:33 AM
Spiffyguitar

My only concern with those y-pipes is that they're nearly identical to the design of the Nismo. Granted I'll be changing out my TP's, but it makes me a little uneasy.

Quick Reply: Nismo midpipe ruined after one day... help needed