Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Get the Custom Top Secret Y or stick with the Tanabe
Get the TS titan y, even w/out flex sections, and have a full titan setup yo!
23.53%
Forego the chance of failure and stick with the ss Tanabe
76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Need Advice on my exhaust setup please--no flex joint bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Advice on my exhaust setup please--no flex joint bad?

Hi all,

So, I ahve just received word that my Amuse R1 titanium exhaust (2 piece) will be delivered to my japanese vendor in a few days and will likely get to me within a week or so, since it is being shipped ems.

I have bought a tanabe y pipe to mate up to the amuse.

Here is my question and dilemna:

Out of pure jdm titamium lust, I requested my japanese vendor t look into getting a titanium y pipe made.

The ARC was no longer available. The only other option was Top Secret. Now anyone who is in the know, will tell you that the cost of titanium in Japan has increase to almost 3X of what it used to be. As such, Top Secret has discontinued the titan y pipe for the Z/G.

However, my japanese vendor (who is great btw), was able to get Top Secret to offer to make me a custom titanium y pipe for approx $1325 (yen to dollar conversion may be off a little on this cuz the us dollar is weak).

Now I don't know whether I should pull the trigger on getting this custom top secret titan y pipe. On the one hand, it would be awesome to have a complete titanium exhaust setup and the the Top Secret design is straight through and very free-flowing and weighs next to nothing.

On the other hand, the Top Secret titanium y pipe has NO flex section whatsoever. This slightly worries me as I have some very expensive exhaust components on my car or soon to be on my car (nismo headers, Power Enterprise Cats, Amuse Exhaust). I am worried that with no flex sections, there will be more stress on these expensive exhaust components and with movement and no flex there will be a real possibility of them cracking or failing.

Should I not worry about the lack of flex sections and the possibility of increased stress on the rest of the exhaust components or should I say f*k it and go for it?

Please vote, and if anyone has any real information/knowledge on running a y-pipe/exhaust system with no flex sections and the posssible implications of doing so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by jonnylaw; 11-30-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 AM
citymunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fu<K it, Go Ti!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 AM
ill350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it from a business standpoint. What is the Return on your Investment? Only plus would be, the ability to say I have a full Ti system. No more power, and the weight loss is negligible. Too much damn money for a part that will provide no more power, not much weight loss, risk the cracking of other exhaust parts.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the tanabe. The custom Top Secret seems like too much of a hassle considering the price and the fact that there is no replacement if so. I'm sure you already know that if the pipe cracks, you're screwed. Besides, nobody will know what you have under your car. IMO, titanium is nonsense, unless of course, you pull money out of your @ss. Sure it weighs less, but I think that reduced weight is barely noticeable at most.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh boy a poll.