Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Relocating evap canister on Amuse exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Relocating evap canister on Amuse exhaust

So, my Amuse should be here in a few days for my G , and I know the evap canister has to be relocated , but there is no bracket or instructions on doing that with the exhaust.

Does anyone have a diy/pictures/step-by-step for relocating the evap box for installation of the Amuse? Thank you!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
srt4-no more

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hit up greddy. or anyone with the evo2 since the same has to be done with that exhaust as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Tac-M

you will need to make a "new canister" as long as all hoses and sensors/ solenoids are connected you will have no problems. you will need any kind of a smaller canister like a home depot pvc pipe with ends on if you wish you can make something better , lets say get an oil catch can, and use that.... you will also need longer hoses , hose clamps, zipties, silicone, etc.... The goal is to replicate that oem set up with a more compact canister.

Here is what I mean https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/226178-amuse-2.html
Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Tac-M
you will need to make a "new canister" as long as all hoses and sensors/ solenoids are connected you will have no problems. you will need any kind of a smaller canister like a home depot pvc pipe with ends on if you wish you can make something better , lets say get an oil catch can, and use that.... you will also need longer hoses , hose clamps, zipties, silicone, etc.... The goal is to replicate that oem set up with a more compact canister.

Here is what I mean https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226178&page=2
Thanks for the link Tac--the pic's help. however, if anyone has a step-by-step instructions for this including exactly what parts/item numbers are needed I wold be willing to paypal some money to that person for their time. I have pm's supratt and undgrd. I am hoping for a reply.

If anyone else can help me with this, please pm me. Thanks!

-Jon
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
THE TECH

No need to relocate. Just get some heat wrap and you're good to go.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
terrorist22

I went to Group3 Garage (vendor/sponsor/something) and what they told me was they removed extra EVAP canister shields; there were some more towards the outboard side of the car. They just moved the canister outwards a little. It took them about an hour, and I don't get any warning lights or anything.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by THE TECH
No need to relocate. Just get some heat wrap and you're good to go.
won't this still rub against the amuse exhaust?

I wonder how mnay amuse exhaust owners just insulate the evap canister, how many remove it and live w/ the cel, and how many relocate the evap canister?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
won't this still rub against the amuse exhaust?

I wonder how mnay amuse exhaust owners just insulate the evap canister, how many remove it and live w/ the cel, and how many relocate the evap canister?
It will rub some but with zero drawbacks. It doesn't scratch the exhaust nor harm the canister.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by THE TECH
It will rub some but with zero drawbacks. It doesn't scratch the exhaust nor harm the canister.
Ahh, so in your opinion is this the best option to go with, as opposed to relocating the evap canister (more risks involved here?)

What do you suggest to use to insulate the evap canister? (any specific brand of heat wrap? How much to use?)

I assume the metal plate that covers the evap canister needs to be removed?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
THE TECH

Ahh, so in your opinion is this the best option to go with, as opposed to relocating the evap canister (more risks involved here?)

What do you suggest to use to insulate the evap canister? (any specific brand of heat wrap? How much to use?)

I assume the metal plate that covers the evap canister needs to be removed?

Thanks!
Yeah since it is the easiest and has the least hassle. Yes, removing the metal plate will help. For heat shielding, the DEI stuff works fine. They have a reflective front with sticky backing.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 PM
jonnylaw

pic's:

crazy japanese newspaper packing material:

Tanabe y-pipe

Should I place this sticker on the upper left corner of the trunk area (opposite the g35 tag) like this (but on the other side), or would that be "rice":

Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
flynbrin

thats nice
Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 AM
jonnylaw

Tech,
I just ordered dei cool tape from summit. This is ok for wrapping the evap canister and lines? Reflective self sticking.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
THE TECH

Tech,
I just ordered dei cool tape from summit. This is ok for wrapping the evap canister and lines? Reflective self sticking.
Yup!

You know I have the Amuse Ti Y-pipe for sale if you're interested. I know you're Mr. JDM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the exhaust Jonny! Its absolutely impeccable.

And love the packing material. That's gotta make it even more fun to unpack.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Tac-M

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Congrats on the exhaust Jonny! Its absolutely impeccable.

And love the packing material. That's gotta make it even more fun to unpack.
hi tony! could you possibly custom fab a few kits to help us out ? all it nees to be is a box with 3 holes ( that match the stock connections) some longer hoses and a mounting bracket. I know there will be very little demand, but for a custom, good quality part like that I would pay $$$.

thanks, ak.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Tac-M
hi tony! could you possibly custom fab a few kits to help us out ? all it nees to be is a box with 3 holes ( that match the stock connections) some longer hoses and a mounting bracket. I know there will be very little demand, but for a custom, good quality part like that I would pay $$$.

thanks, ak.
No offense Tac, but I don't think Tony would have the time or the interest to do this.

Plus, from gathering what I have from owners of the Amuse exhaust, the best and easiest option is to remove the evap canister metal heat shield, shave the corner of the evap canister where it would rub the amuse exhaust, and then wrap the evap canister and surrounding lines with reflective heat shielding tape (defi cool tape is what I will be using), also some zip ties to make sure the tape stays on the surrounding lines.

It's this stuff:

I'm also hoping to use these nismo harder rubber busings on the two exhaust hangers of the muffler:

Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
jonnylaw

Bringin in the car to the shop tomorrow. Also sending out ecu for a second reflash by TS--Hopefully will be ready before the end of the week. I'll have a tech videotape me doing a ricer flyby in a straight section of road behind the dealership and I'll post the video/stop clip
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
jonnylaw

Oh, this may be a silly question, but when looking at the tanabe y--is there some of what looks like "rust" on some of the welds (near the connecting bracket with serial number and near oen of the flex sections) or is this just discoloration?

Is this something to worry about? Can anyone with a tanabe y verify that this is what the y looks like. I mean it came in a legit box and everything from intense...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Tac-M

^ I did not notice anything out of the ordinarry on the tanabe y . I have seen a few different ones ( you saw my posts) , and tanabe is by far the best. specifically the collector.

so a little bit discoloration on the welds is nothing to worry about. most likely they used a not fully stainless welds... ( that's about all I know about the actual process of welding )

as far as evap, I have mine done with undergnd's help, and it's all good. I was simply asking if tony could make a kit that would look on-par with the rest of the setup. yes, I DO care how it looks like. that's why I did paint my pvc can black.....

Last edited by Tac-M; 12-10-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Relocating evap canister on Amuse exhaust