Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MD 5/16 ISO Spacer Install With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MD 5/16 ISO Spacer Install With Pics

Whats up everyone. A roomate and I did a ISO spacer install today, thought i would take a few pictures and throw something up for all to see.

Over and above the installation of everything was fairly easy. I've done most of the work to my Z in the past, so honestly this was a walk in the park. No jack stands was a pleasent change up. We followed the directions to spec, after reading over each part a couple times i noticed that the instructions were well layed out. Mad props to Tony with the designing of this kit, and the instruction manual throw together. I borrowed a inch lb torque wrench from a friend of a friend who builds custom bikes. Intemadating guy with out a doubt, so i was sure not to fuqor it up.

Hardest part about the install honestly was removing the damn hoses. They can be a 8itch to get to mainly during the removal process. I'm sure after a couple installs it's nothing but a thang, but for the first time, that was honestly the hardest part. I suggest this to anyone that really has basic knowledge of tools and their car. A little patients, proper tools and an extra set of hands will make the installation as easy as it can be. Onto the pictures, enjoy.

See ^ so easy a girl can do it.... lol just playing

After removal of strut bar, surrounding wire clamps ect., engine cover, and intake.

after removal of top plenum.

Removal of lower plenum/installation of ISO thermal gasket.

getting the top plenum on and connecting the hoses while sliding the spacer in was challenging, but taking a picture at the same time? Impossible...

Time for the CCValve, after a little teflon tape for the threads, it was good to go. We marked the hose as instructed and cut it with a house hold knife. A little coolant flowed out, but nothing out of control. Smelt it a little bit when we started her up because it dripped on my headers, but it burned away with no problems.

After installing that, it was just a matter of throwing everything back together. Took us another 30 mins to throw the engine cover on, intake, and strut bar with new spacers. Everything all together took around 3 hours. Missed a plug on my throttle body the first time i tried to start it, so i'm dealing with a CIL right now. Reset of the throttle body should take care of it, i guess we'll see. Thanks for looking. Take care.

^ need new filter bad...

Last edited by HondaKiller; 12-15-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
03zcarfl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like my nismo filter!!!!! lol

thansk for the pics im bout to install my 5/8" spacer now....

could you tell a big difference after install?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Escobar

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts

nice job, easy stealthy mod that can give you a little boost whp. I left my engine cover off though. It doesnt look like you installed your spacers, I would put them on just in case and give that strut bar a few more cranks.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Originally Posted by 03zcarfl
looks like my nismo filter!!!!! lol

thansk for the pics im bout to install my 5/8" spacer now....

could you tell a big difference after install?
nothing really major yet, i haven't driven it much since the install. Probably will see over the next couple days.

Originally Posted by Escobar
nice job, easy stealthy mod that can give you a little boost whp. I left my engine cover off though. It doesnt look like you installed your spacers, I would put them on just in case and give that strut bar a few more cranks.
that picture was before we got the bolts and spacers into place. No rubbing issues, i think it's good to go.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nicee!. Thanks for the pix!!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

pardon my ignorance but what is the CCValve? I have one these new fangled 5/16th spacers that I bought off someone and the directions did not come with it.

Thanks for the write-up and you might as well post more pictures of the girl before someone posts the 'this thread is worthless without pictures' smilie.

Also, is that a live strong rubber band?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
pardon my ignorance but what is the CCValve? I have one these new fangled 5/16th spacers that I bought off someone and the directions did not come with it.

Thanks for the write-up and you might as well post more pictures of the girl before someone posts the 'this thread is worthless without pictures' smilie.

Also, is that a live strong rubber band?
The coolant/hose is designed to heat your plenum/throttle body to prevent freezing in colder weather. Warm clients can benefit from stopping this this flow for cooler intake levels. You can read up more on the motordyne website. If you purchased a motordyne product, you can also download and print the directions right off the site. Good luck with things.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 AM
ChrisCJ99

Great write up!!! I'm new to the whole Z scene and I'm loving mine so far I've been looking into power mods for my 05 Z and heard about this 5/16 spacer mod. Can you even feel a NOTICEABLE difference?? I read on the Motordyne website that it can add around 11 hp or so. But in my opinion it doesn't seem worth about $250 and 3 hours of work JUST for 10 HP..... What do you think about it though?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Thumbs up Most...

Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99
Great write up!!! I'm new to the whole Z scene and I'm loving mine so far I've been looking into power mods for my 05 Z and heard about this 5/16 spacer mod. Can you even feel a NOTICEABLE difference?? I read on the Motordyne website that it can add around 11 hp or so. But in my opinion it doesn't seem worth about $250 and 3 hours of work JUST for 10 HP..... What do you think about it though?
likely one the better bolt-ons out there. I noticed a difference with mine and feel it was worth it.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Escobar

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts

yea for 250 bucks its worth it. The coolant valve works really well, you can noticeably feel a difference on the plenum.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
ChrisCJ99

Hmmmm. Well then, I may have to look into getting this I'm kinda torn between this or maybe a high flow cat (But the spacer looks like a harder install)..... Oh yeah, what part of your warranty will this void????
Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

I've been driving my car around today a little more and can say that i do notice a difference. I would compare the increase to my HFC installation. Good gains from 4k up. Definately the best bang for buck mod i have installed yet. Believe me, $300 is cheap for 10hp on this car. I'm in Largo if you need help installing it, hit me up.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 AM
jdepe

Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99
Hmmmm. Well then, I may have to look into getting this I'm kinda torn between this or maybe a high flow cat (But the spacer looks like a harder install)..... Oh yeah, what part of your warranty will this void????
the spacer will be way way easier to install then the hfc's. trust me. i did the tests pipes first the the 5/16 spacer they make a pretty good difference after 4k.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
twitch579

Man all the florida peeps in here!

Anyone have any expierence with the Skunk2 Spacer the 5/8 one?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM
lemans350zr

Shouldnt void any warranty. Not sure if they would even know its there.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

skunk2 spacer, ISO spacer, same install -minus the strut bar. You would need an aftermarket strut bar to run that spacer. Get the MD product if you haven't purchased already.

I would have to disagree. any work to the top half of the engine and they are going to see the spacer. Indeed it is a stealthy mod but still stands out like a soar thumb to the trained eye. (especially when they pop the hood and lift her up for a clear view of my other mods) They would be snooping believe me.

I got the TB recalibration to work and the car is running beautifully again. Good word of advice is DO NOT disconnect your throttle body when installing this mod. Simply keep it connected and lay it to the side as described in the directions You will run into recalibration problems of your TB if you do not listen, i found out the hard way.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:06 AM
ssgohan434

can't believe no one's said this yet... more pics of the roomate!

This is definetely one of my fav and most cost effective mods! Great work! I had a fellow 350Z'r help me with my install
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
BallZdeepNYC

I have the reg spacer is it good for gains or the iso better? Was iso waste of money
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the iso reduces heatsoak, it helps to an extent.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up and pics I hope to do this as my next mod as well. Let us know if you feel a difference with this.

Do you guys notice a difference in engine/exhaust sound at all?

Quick Reply: MD 5/16 ISO Spacer Install With Pics