Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

NISMO and HFCs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WalkerT
I have a 07 with nismo exhaust and it might be different but the rasp does not go away. Really loud for the first 10 minutes or so then sounds better but the rasp only goes away a little. I think the nismo (baffled muffler) just does not flow smooth enough for this much air. I have had these for about three weeks.

Also these are metalic hfc so they are different than the ceramic.
yeah thats whats happening... goes away after 10 min.. but if you have the music turned off and you're listening, you can def hear... but its bareable and almost un-noticable IN the cabin... the only thing im wondering is if it sounds kinda silly outside of the car when im driving by people... oh well, i still love that tone!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
scmtkings4

^^^you guys LIKE the sound that you get AFTER the 10 mins?? man if anything, its the loudness from the first 10 minutes that make me like it. Too quiet once youve driven it a while.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
^^^you guys LIKE the sound that you get AFTER the 10 mins?? man if anything, its the loudness from the first 10 minutes that make me like it. Too quiet once youve driven it a while.
are you saying you dont get the rattling, rasping sound when you're on it in the high RPMs?

or you like it?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Kaylinpg

Default please no roasting

Hi all, Im sorry to bother anybody but i have had the worst luck on the enthusiasts forums of all 5 imports i have built so i am hesitant to ever open my mouth. I have an 07 with NISMO I/E and i feel like it is too quite. To the extent that i want to trade my nismo exhaust for a greddy/hks set up. However the financial loss would be comparable to buying some of the new Berk HFC's for the vq35hr instead. I was going to order them monday and install them next week since the guy who had my car thought he was a drifter and ruined my tranny (as well as a few other things) and i have to drop it off for warrenty work on sunday. However if there is anything i learned from forums its to do some research first before buying parts (i wish i did more before i night the nismo exhaust) and i stumbled onto this thread. If i am understanding this people have had problems with the nismo exhaust causing the HFC's to crack due to lack of flexing ability. However, it sounded like this can be fixed with brackets which (if i understand right) is something that used to not but but is now included with high flow cats. So my question is this has this problem been adressed by berk yet? it sounded like after reading the 5 thread pages that people with the newer model HFC's have not had problems.
P.S. Preparing to get burned...
Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
jammin

lol i recently had my berks installed onto my nismo, and they arent even that much louder, maybe most noticeable to me around 3-4k rpm. they are ceramic though if that makes a diff
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaylinpg
So my question is this has this problem been adressed by berk yet? it sounded like after reading the 5 thread pages that people with the newer model HFC's have not had problems.
P.S. Preparing to get burned...
Yup, Berk took care of that with the reinforced brackets, which isn't very common with HFC's. Any Berks you order will have the new version.

No worries about the question - was totally valid and you shouldn't be too concerned about getting flamed (although it does happen too often here).
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
tnk210

My new Berk's + Nismo have done great so far.

Intake + Nismo Exhaust + Berk's HFC + Plenum = pure audible bliss
Old 03-29-2008, 10:25 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
are you saying you dont get the rattling, rasping sound when you're on it in the high RPMs?

or you like it?
oh we're talking about in the high RPMS? i thought we were just talking about regular driving. When the exhaust is still cold, the sound is much louder which i LOVE. After about 10 mins it gets quiet again (low RPMS i mean). Low RPM sound is more important to me because i live in a busy city so most of my driving is under 3k.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 AM
pearlwhite_z

can anyone tell me wat the difference is between the ceramic and metallic hfc and if the price difference is worth getting the metallic...thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Sunset350ZR

Metallics a little louder and a little more power. Also maybe a bit more rasp reported by some.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
ginobetterfly

i wonder if adding an intake + air duct could help with the rasping.... maybe getting more air IN is the answer... could be totally wrong though..
Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
singh

i wonder if adding an intake + air duct could help with the rasping.... maybe getting more air IN is the answer... could be totally wrong though..
IMO, you are wrong. The reason the exhaust is rasping is because the Nismo muffler cannot handle that much airflow. Remember the Nismo is a subtle exhaust, unlike most other farty exhaust systems, it was designed not to be a fart can but yet have some distinct tone. So Nismo had to restrict some airflow (to an extent) by baffling the muffler somewhat. In your case, by adding HFC, the airflow is increased, and the Nismo muffler just can't handle the increased airflow...hence leading to rasp?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
IMO, you are wrong. The reason the exhaust is rasping is because the Nismo muffler cannot handle that much airflow. Remember the Nismo is a subtle exhaust, unlike most other farty exhaust systems, it was designed not to be a fart can but yet have some distinct tone. So Nismo had to restrict some airflow (to an extent) by baffling the muffler somewhat. In your case, by adding HFC, the airflow is increased, and the Nismo muffler just can't handle the increased airflow...hence leading to rasp?
that makes more sense... i just threw it out there, for discussion... so i guess the only "fix" for this is getting a new exhaust, or putting the stock cats back on.. im actually thinking of a new exhaust that will flow better... the Fast Intentions maybe? or the HKS...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
keithhofmann

anyone hve experience with or heard info about the AAM HFC's or the stillen HFC's they both look decent i wanted Berks at first but my friends cracked after like three weeks and i keep hearingabout cracking issues. Any info on the AAM's or Stillen would really help me out.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 AM
The Captain

+1 for Berk HFC's w/ mounting bracket. I love mine!

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
+1 to this too. My Borla sounds so sweet in that range. If you stand behind it, it will rattle your teeth with that deep tone!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 PM
RRP777

I'm just wondering about the nismo cracking problem and instead of a flex y-pipe wouldn't something like the Ingalls "Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper work better by causing alot less engine flex?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
ginobetterfly

my Berk HFCs with mounting brackets just cracked hahahaha
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
scmtkings4

^^^no way you serious?

if you were being serious, i cant say im too surprised.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:18 PM
singh

my Berk HFCs with mounting brackets just cracked hahahaha

I am installing my setup tomorrow or Saturday. Nismo + Berk HFC's with brackets.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
singh

Question

If I keep the stock Y-pipe, and install the rest of the Nismo exhaust, do you guys think that it will help keep my Berk cats from cracking? Is this a plausible idea? Does anyone know what exactly is causing the cracks????

Quick Reply: NISMO and HFCs...