Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Borla Vs. Injen, which should I get?
Borla baby!
65.20%
Injen all the way.
18.63%
Wait for more options such as Greddy Evo
16.18%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Injen Vs. Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

How about for $610 and $40 shipping?

I ordered mine from 21st Century Exhaust in Florida and it should be in, in two or three weeks.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 AM
TheBigShow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dr. bonz, do they have a website or did u just call em? thanks.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:04 PM
sschmuve

I've had the Injen installed for a few days now. It's a bit louder than I expected, but tolerable. In sixth gear on the hwy doin 60ish it drones until u hit 70 (not too happy about that). The power gain is noticable from around 4k and up to redline. The exhaust tone is its best up there. Down low I think it sounds a little "fart canny", but not bad. I'm thinking about installing the silencers this weekend to see the difference. Does anyone know how much, if any, hp will be lost?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:02 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sschmuve
I've had the Injen installed for a few days now. It's a bit louder than I expected, but tolerable. In sixth gear on the hwy doin 60ish it drones until u hit 70 (not too happy about that). The power gain is noticable from around 4k and up to redline. The exhaust tone is its best up there. Down low I think it sounds a little "fart canny", but not bad. I'm thinking about installing the silencers this weekend to see the difference. Does anyone know how much, if any, hp will be lost?
All of this goes away after the exhaust is broken in- had mine on for two weeks - drove to LA and back last weekend and the Injen sounds absolutely beautiful now.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:37 AM
johnnyblaze

Yeah I agree, it takes the injen a good 2 weeks to fully break in and stop smelling. I had 4 trips back and forth to san diego from my house (89mile drive) and it still smoked pretty good for 3 days, but once it stopped smelling burnt, it sounds really clean and the exhaust note is so different from that of any other exhaust. Also why look like everyone else with your exhaust. Dare to Be different
Old 06-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the dely in replying. THis place has been pretty crappy lately.

I don't know if they have a web page. I just called them.

1-800-276-6399. Ask for Marsha. She is at extension 10.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:34 PM
mdepena

Hey 88 Shrio Special,

Great close-up shot of the Borla tips! I noticed that there are two pipes; an outer polished one and the inner exhaust pipe. Does the outer pipe have a drain on the bottom? Since I live in the DC area, the highway dept spreads salt and sand in the winter time. I would hate for the salt or sand to get trapped and corrode the pipe from the inside out. I know that it is 304 stainless, but even good stainless can eventually be affected by salt.

Thanks in advance for your reply or anyone else that knows.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:40 PM
parcel pimp

Anyone have any pics of the Injen installed??? Where can I order it from??? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-15-2003, 04:33 PM
phishie

since the injen gets rid of the stock muffler, is there any problems with wind? I noticed that the rear bumper is kinda protected by the stock muffler, and catches wind quite easily. I imagine without the muffler there, it would put quite a strain on the rear.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:11 PM
DMONTE

Originally posted by phishie
since the injen gets rid of the stock muffler, is there any problems with wind? I noticed that the rear bumper is kinda protected by the stock muffler, and catches wind quite easily. I imagine without the muffler there, it would put quite a strain on the rear.
I agree with you there should be an air deflector connected in front of the aftermarket mufflers to stop that situation from happening like on the original muffler, a lot of air travels under the car and will definitely get hung up on the rear bumper panel. I am trying to figure out the best way to counteract that.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:03 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by parcel pimp
Anyone have any pics of the Injen installed??? Where can I order it from??? Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails Injen Vs. Borla-dsc00495.jpg  

Last edited by failsafe; 06-15-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:06 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Attached Thumbnails Injen Vs. Borla-dsc00496.jpg  
Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 AM
sschmuve

You guys were right! After a week, the smell and boomyness went away. Now it sounds a lot smoother, and I'm no longer considering intalling the silencers.

Yesterday, while stuck in traffic, I received a compliment "Man..I love that sound. Nice exhaust".

Other than the mufflers coming out at slightly different angles, I'm very pleased with it's looks and sound. I highly recommend it.

Peace.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 AM
99AllTurbo

Thanks for the info. Looking fwd to owning this exhaust.

How 'bout the butt dyno, did you feel a difference?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:08 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Other than the mufflers coming out at slightly different angles, I'm very pleased with it's looks and sound. I highly recommend it.
sschmuve- you should be able to adjust the exhaust- lossen the flanges and adjust it then tighten.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:15 PM
xZlr8

I've had the Injen on for a few weeks now and the original loudness has come down a bit...but uh..i thought it sounded awesome from the beginning anyway; i mean, my girl even likes it. As for the tips, well, i think they scream "kick *$%". And in retrospect, the '02 crustang driver i walked loved the sound and look when i pulled over to wait on him to talk some more smack. Anyway, don't let popular opinion talk you out of getting this sweet true dual system. It has to be experienced. The borla is more conservative but it comes together into a muffler............sorry, but when two pipes mix gas into a muffler you're losing some of the true dual performance you just paid for...but hey, it's your money and your image you're worried about. So don't take my word for it.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:39 AM
99AllTurbo

Originally posted by xZlr8
As for the tips, well, i think they scream "kick *$%".
It definitely is a change from the boring stk look. The exhaust style definitely tells people you mean business. The fact that it's all polished is a plus.

I've come to realize that there are a lot of Z owners including 300ZX owners) like the conservative look. My neighbor is one of them. He has a nice stock looking 300ZXTT with a B&B(sp?) exhaust. Pretty conservative. But this morning on the way to work I ran into a local white 300ZXTT with a nice body kit (possibly a Vertex) and he had twin Apex N1 style mufflers angled like our Injen and it was mean looking. That how I like my Z to look. We're all different.

Are in Orlando xZlr8?

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; 06-26-2003 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:02 AM
mcduck

Anyway, don't let popular opinion talk you out of getting this sweet true dual system. It has to be experienced. The borla is more conservative but it comes together into a muffler............sorry, but when two pipes mix gas into a muffler you're losing some of the true dual performance you just paid for...
Not true! David Borla posted here on one of the other Borla threads and said the "muffler" on the back is more or less just a housing. The two pipes & associated exhaust flows do not intermix. They continue to be separate in side the housing.

The right side exhaust enters the housing and exits on the left side. The left side exhaust does the opposite.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:28 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
It definitely is a change from the boring stk look. The exhaust style definitely tells people you mean business. The fact that it's all polished is a plus.

I've come to realize that there are a lot of Z owners including 300ZX owners) like the conservative look. My neighbor is one of them. He has a nice stock looking 300ZXTT with a B&B(sp?) exhaust. Pretty conservative. But this morning on the way to work I ran into a local white 300ZXTT with a nice body kit (possibly a Vertex) and he had twin Apex N1 style mufflers angled like our Injen and it was mean looking. That how I like my Z to look. We're all different.

Are in Orlando xZlr8?
I wish i were in Orlando
Old 06-27-2003, 01:32 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by mcduck
Not true! David Borla posted here on one of the other Borla threads and said the "muffler" on the back is more or less just a housing. The two pipes & associated exhaust flows do not intermix. They continue to be separate in side the housing.

The right side exhaust enters the housing and exits on the left side. The left side exhaust does the opposite.
Interesting...so they added that heavy muffler just for looks?? That's crazy to add weight to an exhaust system just to make it look stock. And also if the pipes bend at two 90 degree angles as they would have to in order to come in the right and exit the left and vice versa that's a lot of bends; seems like that would be a little restrictive....jeeze. I'm not bashing the borla, i just think the Injen is more performance oriented. Max HP was what i was looking for in a system. The angled tips are just a bonus for me because i like for my car to stand out.

Quick Reply: Injen Vs. Borla