Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Borla Vs. Injen, which should I get?
Borla baby!
65.20%
Injen all the way.
18.63%
Wait for more options such as Greddy Evo
16.18%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Injen Vs. Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen Vs. Borla

Let the fight begin.

I'm about to order one of them. But which one? Here are my views, concerns, and questions.

-I like the Borla clean look, looks very stock, doesn't stand out too much. I like that.

-I don't like how Injens tips come at at a angle. Doesn't look clean IMO.

-I like Injens power output, as someone just put 19rwhp down Vs. 21rwhp claimed by Injen.

-No word on Borla's numbers yet, no dyno sheets yet! **HINT HINT**

Now my questions:

1) Borla by what I heard saves 12lbs. How much does Injen save?
2) Do both increase power low end, mid-range, or high end? Which increases where?
3) Which is louder? I couldn't really tell by the sound clips, they both seemed pretty equal to me.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:13 PM
99AllTurbo

This could get ugly.

I'll disagree with the Injen not looking "clean". You mean like a clean stk look. Some pople like the simple stk look, some (like myself) like something that looks like it's aftermarket.

No sense in making people fight over these 2 exhausts. Like I said in one of the Injen threads, listen to the clips (there is a difference, the Injen is much louder, and nasty sounding), decide what looks you want: stk vs the race look, and shop for best price.

Most of us want more power, and they both have proven (well the Injen has more proof right now) to increase power, people just need to decide what style to go with. They are both nice exhausts, I'm set on the Injen though.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:31 PM
99AllTurbo

Also, I'm not sure if I would count on "webcarconnection's" Z as an example for the Borla exhaust power gains. Although I believe him if he says his car dyno'd 25whp more with the Borla, but he was also putting down 260+whp with only CAI, and Ground wires, and also trapping 104 in the 1/4! I haven't heard of anyone making that kind of power in any other Z that's almost stk.

I wanna see a Z that puts the average 230-240whp stk dyno the Borla to see the gains. Besides, it seems like most people don't wanna believe webcarconnection unless they see a dyno sheet.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what type of dyno Webcarconnection is using... his numbers do seem awfully high... now where's that thread on the different types of dynos and how much variance there is between the different types?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:26 PM
webcarconnection

Well... When I write my #'s I said that I don't have any printing and that was my first reason not to write the #'s down... If someone don't believe my results its OK , they can believe anything they like.... I know theres gonna be a lot of members posting Dyno sheet with different #'s but always with good gains...

P.S. The Dyno was a Dynojet (Windows)
Old 06-09-2003, 03:55 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Ricky,

As I stated before both exhausts are great setups. As 99AllTurbo said it is a matter of preference. Do you like the stock look do you want the angled tips. I personally prefer the Injen becuase it doesn't look stock, but that's just my taste. I'm sure both systems are putting down similar power (c'mon Borla guys- dynos!!!!!).

1) Borla by what I heard saves 12lbs. How much does Injen save?
Injen weighs in at about 42 lbs- stock system is about 71 lbs

2) Do both increase power low end, mid-range, or high end? Which increases where?
Injen increase is mostly all top end- above 5000K- you can see in the curves of an earlier dyno I posted

Which is louder? I couldn't really tell by the sound clips, they both seemed pretty equal to me.
From what I've heard the Injen seems louder- especially at high RPM- the injen really screams at high RPM. Of course I haven't heard the Borla in person so I can' t say for sure.

BTW- I would not recommend the Tanabe or 5zigen exhausts. I believe these are both Y pipe exhuasts as opposed to the duals. But there was one Z running each at Stillen on Saturday and they both lost power. One guy dynoed 215 hp . If I'm wrong and someone has dynos for either of these exhausts that prove a power gain please feel free to correct me.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:03 PM
lotus

Failsaf3 did you get a glance at any of the guys running Stillen exhaust dyno's ? Just curious how they did. Best numbers I have seen are 12hp and 16TQ gains. I think your car looks great with the Injen BTW.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:58 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Thanks Lotus- unfortunately I wasn't watching when any Z's were running Stillen. I know there were a couple of guys that did run it though- Maybe one of the other guys that went remember.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:09 PM
D'oh

In my opinion these are the two best exhausts out there right now. They are both fairly inexpensive (compared to other choices), they both put out good numbers, they both sound good, they both weight less than stock.

My personal favorite is the Borla because I like the reserved look, especially the straight tips.

The Injen does weigh less, although I don't think I will ever want the angled tips on my car.

Performance wise, I don't think you can make a bad choice. It's all about what you think of the looks and the sound.

-D'oh!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:42 AM
ZON

I have nothing to go on in order to give you an honest opinion about either one of them. Except to say that I was going to get the stillen duel exhaust up until a short time ago. When I started reading about this new Borla Duel Exhaust I became swayed. The borla is hundreds less than the Stillen and most of those other ones that aren't duel but are titanium and what not. When we called Borla and they swore up and down that theirs was not "too LOUD" and they stood by it's claimed performance so then we decided to go ahead and order it. Borla is fabricating a batch this week. We should have it sometime next week and we are going to dyno the Z before & after install. I am thinking of removing my Pop Charger and use stock intake before first dyno too. In the perfect world I can dyno stock, then w/exhaust, then add pop charger and then hook my earthing cables back up and see the performance enhancements for each mod in increments. But that probably isn't realistic, but i'll at least try. Anyway hopefully next week I can post something up for us.

Stay "tuned", heh!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:16 AM
AmyCroft

Default Keep us posted throbbing_Zon

throbbing_Zon

Thanks - Keep us posted.

I don't know where Morgan Hill is, but I hope you get a good discount on the Dyno runs....

Print out this link, and show it to the Dyno guy.. He may understand that this is serious with us MY350Z.com folks

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-11-2003, 12:56 AM
ZON

I'll try Amy!! The dyno is in the same complex as my friends Z shop. He uses their dyno often I think. The guys with the dyno actually are a high performance Mustang shop. I am hoping that this will be a great dyno hookup for the 350. I've already got the great Z shop hookup. I am not really considered as any ol' "customer", Z shop owner is an old friend who laid his hands on his first Z car (240) about 25 years ago. That was my Z car. He's been tuning them ever since and has won 1st and 2nd place awards for restorations he's done, you should see his 240.

By the way Morgan Hill is south of San Jose.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:14 AM
88 Shrio Special

I had my Borla installed yesterday. I think that the exhaust has a lower sound than my stock exhaust. I have 11K mile on the stock exhaust and it was fairly loud higher pitch.. The difference I feel in sound is around 2- 4k. lower rumbling sound on the borla. I also feel a performance difference around 3-5k a little more tweaky with the Borla. here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Injen Vs. Borla-mvc-043f.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Need350z

Somebody on the forum lost hp on borla exhaust.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:46 AM
ZpikeZ

Why wouldn't you vote Borla? Don't you get that 1,000,000 mile warrantly as well?!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by Need350z
Somebody on the forum lost hp on borla exhaust.
Not that I know about.. can you post the link?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

88 Shrio Special, when did you order it and where? thanks!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:45 AM
88 Shrio Special

I ordered last week wed from COZ and it arrived yesterday. 625.00 plus shipping Coz at Concept Z performance 623-937-6400 and ask for CoZ. The earlier post about losing HP was from someone that had the First design. this is the second Generation system
Attached Thumbnails Injen Vs. Borla-mvc-044f.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by 88 Shrio Special
I had my Borla installed yesterday. I think that the exhaust has a lower sound than my stock exhaust. I have 11K mile on the stock exhaust and it was fairly loud higher pitch.. The difference I feel in sound is around 2- 4k. lower rumbling sound on the borla. I also feel a performance difference around 3-5k a little more tweaky with the Borla. here is a pic
How much louder than stock is the Borla on the highway at cruising speeds, 3-4000rpm, does it drone?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:06 PM
mcclaskz

Borla does not drone at all. At cruizing speeds you really can't hear it over stock. It is really pretty mellow in terms of volume. The throaty sound and more bass make it sound great on the low end. I went w/ COZ as well. You really can't go wrong for $625. No regrets

Quick Reply: Injen Vs. Borla