Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cai,cat Back, Header

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Mr Woody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cai,cat Back, Header

Hello Everyone, I'm Mrs Woody I'm learning about this site so please bare with me. I actually was planning on getting the CAI system for hubby on his b-day but I found out that Nissan was putting one out themselves and that it would not void the warrenty. After looking at everything he now wants the CAT back system, header and CAI. I'm sure there is someone out there that knows how they work. Tell me if you think it's worth it. He WANTS more HP. I don't want to spend that kind of money if it's not going to be bennificial. Or if there is something else you can inlighten us on that would be helpful. We've never changed anything on our vehicles but of course since he got his Z he has the need for speed and performance. Thanks for your help and baring with me

Jodi
Old 06-17-2003, 05:06 PM
peptidbond

Jodi,

Here is some high level information that might help. CAI's, headers and exhaust all have one purpose: to get air in and back out of the engine as quickly as possible. By increasing the air flow, you essentially increase HP. The Z comes with about 240-245 HP at the rear wheel (287 at the engine). By adding a CAI, headers, and an exhaust, you could expect to gain anywhere from 20-30 HP at the rear wheel. This will depend on what you buy and how that combination works together. Here are some high level prices on some common parts that people are using. I am not going to list everything available since that is listed in a post pinned in this forum.

Injen CAI (what I use) $250 shipped. Usually good for 5-10 HP (I think)

Borla headers $600 shipped. Not sure on HP gain as I have not seen a dyno chart. However, I would guess-timate somewhere around 10 HP.

Injen exhaust $800 shipped (10 HP)

Borla true dual exhaust $800 shipped (10 HP guess)

Stillen true dual exhaust $1200 shipped (10-13 HP)

The other major way to create performance is to cut weight. You could do this by removing parts all together (how often do you use that 40 pound spare). You could also lighten existing components. For example, an Unorthodox Racing crank pulley is smaller than stock and saves about 4 pounds. However, since the engine must move this part, it frees up existing HP for the wheels. For $200, you can get faster revving and I believe 5 HP.

Here are some other (more extreme) things that people are doing:

ECU to create a better fuel/air mix and raise redline

Light flywheel to free HP and faster revving

Various suspension parts that do not increase HP, but increase handling.

Brakes, for obvious reasons.

Nitrous gives huge gains in performance, but costs alot and can cause other problems. In addition, it will almost certainly void the warranty (as do others above).

Turbo/super charger - probably the number one performance part. However, the cost is very high ($5000 or more installed). In addition, these will certainly void the warranty and may cause other problems to engine life.

I hope this information helps. To start, I would simply suggest a good performance combination that would not cost too much. Get the Injen CAI, then the Borla true-dual exhaust, and then the Borla headers. This package is an economical path to increased performance.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:09 PM
peptidbond

Oh, forgot one thing. The Borla parts come with an insane warranty in case of failure. So, you should not need to worry about the factory warranty. I think it is like 1,000,000 miles.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:55 PM
EnthusiastZ

Default Re: Cai,cat Back, Header

Originally posted by Mr Woody
Hello Everyone, I'm Mrs Woody I'm learning about this site so please bare with me. I actually was planning on getting the CAI system for hubby on his b-day but I found out that Nissan was putting one out themselves and that it would not void the warrenty.

Jodi
The only CAI I am aware of from Nissan, "Nismo", is the R-tune CAI and Nissan will not honor a warranty for that.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:48 PM
ZON

Instead of the Borla headers i would suggest the Crawford Headers. About $1250 and at least a 15 WHP (Wheel Horse Power) gain. Also, from Doug Crawford, his new modified intake plenum should be good for an 8 to 10 peak WHP gain, $400 for the modified plenum and the stock front strut brace will not work with that, 100 for his modified strut brace. I soooo wish I had the extra pocket for those two items!! But the Borla True Dual cat back exhaust is the one I purchased. I just got it delivered today. Claimed 20+ WHP, we will see. I paid $710.

http://350zmotoring.com/forums/showt...light=crawford

http://350zmotoring.com/forums/showt...light=crawford

Last edited by ZON; 06-17-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Mr Woody

Smile Thank you

Thank you for all this information. It really does help when your doing something for the first time. It make a lot more since now.

Again, Thank you

Jodi

Originally posted by peptidbond
Jodi,

Here is some high level information that might help. CAI's, headers and exhaust all have one purpose: to get air in and back out of the engine as quickly as possible. By increasing the air flow, you essentially increase HP. The Z comes with about 240-245 HP at the rear wheel (287 at the engine). By adding a CAI, headers, and an exhaust, you could expect to gain anywhere from 20-30 HP at the rear wheel. This will depend on what you buy and how that combination works together. Here are some high level prices on some common parts that people are using. I am not going to list everything available since that is listed in a post pinned in this forum.

Injen CAI (what I use) $250 shipped. Usually good for 5-10 HP (I think)

Borla headers $600 shipped. Not sure on HP gain as I have not seen a dyno chart. However, I would guess-timate somewhere around 10 HP.

Injen exhaust $800 shipped (10 HP)

Borla true dual exhaust $800 shipped (10 HP guess)

Stillen true dual exhaust $1200 shipped (10-13 HP)

The other major way to create performance is to cut weight. You could do this by removing parts all together (how often do you use that 40 pound spare). You could also lighten existing components. For example, an Unorthodox Racing crank pulley is smaller than stock and saves about 4 pounds. However, since the engine must move this part, it frees up existing HP for the wheels. For $200, you can get faster revving and I believe 5 HP.

Here are some other (more extreme) things that people are doing:

ECU to create a better fuel/air mix and raise redline

Light flywheel to free HP and faster revving

Various suspension parts that do not increase HP, but increase handling.

Brakes, for obvious reasons.

Nitrous gives huge gains in performance, but costs alot and can cause other problems. In addition, it will almost certainly void the warranty (as do others above).

Turbo/super charger - probably the number one performance part. However, the cost is very high ($5000 or more installed). In addition, these will certainly void the warranty and may cause other problems to engine life.

I hope this information helps. To start, I would simply suggest a good performance combination that would not cost too much. Get the Injen CAI, then the Borla true-dual exhaust, and then the Borla headers. This package is an economical path to increased performance.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Mr Woody

Smile Re: Re: Cai,cat Back, Header

Sorry I wanted to thank you all but I'm just learning how this site works. So please forgive me. Thank you all for the information.

I'll let you know what we ended up with.

Thanks
Jodi

Originally posted by EnthusiastZ
The only CAI I am aware of from Nissan, "Nismo", is the R-tune CAI and Nissan will not honor a warranty for that.