Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High flow cats questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM
QdotJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
It really is not for the power, but for the sound. If all you want is pure power then knock yourself out with test pipes.

When you installed your Nismo, I am sure you did not feal a difference in power. You probably did it for the fact that it is a Nismo brand, and probably because it has that unique sound no other exhaust system has.

Don't get me wrong, HFC's do make power. But nothing really noticeable.
I'm in the same boat. I have the Nismo Catback exhaust and PopCharger. I love the sound and throttle response I receive from both, but I know there has to be something "more" that I could do.

These HFC's are priced the move and seem to do the job... Coupled with a Motordyne Plenum spacer or Kinetix V+ Plenum (I know, I know) I'm sure things would work out very well.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reality350
also noticed a difference in handling characteristics. The stock cats are very heavy in comparison.
I'm sorry, and I really don't want to be mean, but there's no way that you would have noticed a difference in handling characteristics. We're talking what, 25 lbs. maybe? I think all of us do a good job of trying to justify our purchases - and we over think things too often.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
texasZ350

wow i been missing this thread for a while lol

i just put on Berk HFC (ceramics) with the brace on my 04 with stock exhaust. I didnt do the install (bad weather, no patience ) but the cats and brace seemed to be of good quality.

my feedback, butt dyno liked it a bit. Seems to just rev easier, obviously not a huge power gain mod, but makes the car feel "lighter". I say lighter, but not weight-wise, just seems to flow easier and smoother. the sound didnt change much, but it did change a bit. Like said before, it just amplifies the VQ stock tone. my friend who knows about cars said it sounds just a bit meaner.

overall, very satisfied with the purchase, just hope they hold up with time!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I'm sorry, and I really don't want to be mean, but there's no way that you would have noticed a difference in handling characteristics. We're talking what, 25 lbs. maybe? I think all of us do a good job of trying to justify our purchases - and we over think things too often.
Excuse me, but how do you know what I can and cant feel???
Who exactly are you to say this???

I absolutely felt the weight difference, it was substantial enough to prevent me from scraping my ts fd when going into my parking garage at work.

Also, justify? I paid just over $350 for the HFC's. If you need to justify such a minuscule purchase, then you have other issues at hand.

So please, don't talk for me.

Now go and have a nice day....

Edit:
Originally Posted by JonnyC
Damn it - impulse buy

I just ordered the metalic substrate HFC's for an '03 from ART. I'm having them charge an extra $20 for you to weld in o2 bung pre-cat on the driver's side.
So you dont even have HFC's, yet you chime in to tell me what I can and cant feel?

Last edited by Reality350; 02-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by Reality350
it was substantial enough to prevent me from scraping my ts fd when going into my parking garage at work.
Sorry, I don't want to argue - but that has nothing to do with handling characteristics. When you referred to "handling characteristics" it was as if you could tell the that the car was handling better (for some strange reason), because it's a whole 25 lbs lighter. Still, if it did have an effect on your ride height, it could have only been by less than a millimeter.

If you meant something else by "handling characteristics" then I'm sorry for jumping on you in the first place.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 PM
06dieselZ

does berk make test pipes for a 06?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
scmtkings4

^^they do
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
06dieselZ

I looked on thier and saw none?
I saw some berks on another site but they didnt have the brace
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Sick Z

^Just order them straight from Brian@Berk, they will have the braces. Some people that have ordered them from the vendors got the older version.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
06dieselZ

^ oh ok, thx dude
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Sunset350ZR

Berk Technology PM sent.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
JonnyC

Just letting you guys know I got my Berk Metallic HFC's on Friday, and they look awesome!! Real fast turnaround ordering through Paul and having Brian weld up the bung and drop shipping them. Thanks guys!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Berk_Technology
Banned

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i am also interested in hfc's at this time. i want an extra sensor added and would like to see pics of your cats with wb sensor installed on the vehicle. i know this might be hard to do given the space limitations but if you have them please post. i am a previous crawford owner, later version, and mine cracked several times where the brace mounted (both sides) and then eventually the rt side failed. looking for a quality hfc now that won't crap out over a year or two and can hold up to the stress on the cats mentioned earlier in this thread. also, what are the inlet and outlet diameters? tx
That brand is prone to rip the brackets out of the cat's shell. The stamped casing they are made of is a very thin 20 gauge shell. It's designed to be the cat's heat shield not a structural support for brackets. Hence, you rip them out or, dent the inner ceramic substrate, develop a crack in the ceramic matrix, and it's all downhill from there.

Our 03-06 HFC's use a 2.375" inlet & outlet diameters (60mm). Correctly sized for the OEM collector and vitually all aftermarket Japanese exhaust systems.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

here is the link for the benchmark testing thread, i found it very interesting.https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/330747-interesting-flow-bench-test-results-comparing-07-cats-to-03-06-tp-and-hfcs.html
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
NismoFan47

Got my HFC's today,they look great, fast shipping, well packed, includes installation guide too. I'll be installing them this weekend, but I won't have a sound clip for another 2 weeks. I can record with my pc mic...but I think most of you would rather just wait and hear the good recording with my friends professional mic. Can't wait!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Escobar

Originally Posted by NismoFan47
Got my HFC's today,they look great, fast shipping, well packed, includes installation guide too. I'll be installing them this weekend, but I won't have a sound clip for another 2 weeks. I can record with my pc mic...but I think most of you would rather just wait and hear the good recording with my friends professional mic. Can't wait!

which hfc did you get?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Berk_Technology
That brand is prone to rip the brackets out of the cat's shell. The stamped casing they are made of is a very thin 20 gauge shell. It's designed to be the cat's heat shield not a structural support for brackets. Hence, you rip them out or, dent the inner ceramic substrate, develop a crack in the ceramic matrix, and it's all downhill from there.

Our 03-06 HFC's use a 2.375" inlet & outlet diameters (60mm). Correctly sized for the OEM collector and vitually all aftermarket Japanese exhaust systems.
thanks for getting back berk...if i wanted to order would i pm you or just go to the website?

i am surprised there is not a noticable power difference between these and the stockers. when i got my crawfords i could really feel the difference...i thought this was one of the better mods...except for them breaking so quickly.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
The Captain

I think VividRacing is doing a sale for Berk Hi-Flows.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/331927-berk-technology-high-flow-cats-and-test-pipes.html
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Escobar

what experiences have you guys had with the Kinetix hfc?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
NismoFan47

Originally Posted by Escobar
which hfc did you get?
I got the dual 60mm HFC's. The ones for $374.99

Me and my friend installed them today! Noticeable sound increase (my only engine mod) but nothing like a cat-back. I can't say I felt much on the butt dyno to be honest, but I know the throttle response is better. It just sounds a lot less restricted. I love the sound, and can't wait to get a cat-back now. No signs flipped, fairly easy install, I love them. Sound clips will be up possibly this week...

Let me know if anyone has questions about them..

Quick Reply: High flow cats questions