Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High flow cats questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Berk_Technology
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
so if the o2 bung is needed anyways...why make it an extra charge? i don't get why it isn't just an automatic thing? to be more specific...the placement of the bung....if it is to be pre cat or not...why not have it like the stock set up?
The stock setup uses two bungs. One on each cat, AFTER the cat. All of the HFC's on the market come this way.

We give you a total of 4 bungs & 2 plugs, at no charge. We are the only ones who do this. If you want another bung added, we would be happy to weld one in there for you for an additional fee.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still awaiting your PM, Bryan.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
03aeroZ

Originally Posted by Berk_Technology
The stock setup uses two bungs. One on each cat, AFTER the cat. All of the HFC's on the market come this way.

We give you a total of 4 bungs & 2 plugs, at no charge. We are the only ones who do this. If you want another bung added, we would be happy to weld one in there for you for an additional fee.

thanks for the clear up...so, why would you need 6 bungs? if you are going just NA at this time w/ minimal tune, then the regular hf cat should be fine?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by toyn2time
I have Crawford cats right now and have had them on the car for a little over a year. From what I understand, they are just "gutted" stock cats. Not really sure what that means entirely. Needless to say, I should've done more research as I not that thrilled with them. I will be buying Berks shortly.
really? I was unaware - where did you hear this?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out Paul's prices on Berks HFC's

https://01885bc.netsolstores.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1833
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
singh

^^
That's a typo. Those are the prices for 03-06 models.

Here is the price for 07:
https://01885bc.netsolstores.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1773
Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess the question is why do you provide 4 bungs after the cat when only 2 are needed for the stock WB. If anyone needs more than 2, they are going to want it to be pre-cat. Am I missing a use case for having 4 bungs after the cat?

I will say that the quality of your stuff and the metallic hfc substrate looked great - around 150 or 200 cell right? If only you guys made something big, like 3", I wouldn't have had to get custom ones made - the joys of FI .

In regards to the bracing, if that's what your recommending, I'd like to know how things turn out. I've seen several TXS test pipes break at the brace. Do you have pics of your bracing mechanism (it allows play while supporting it?).
Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Berk_Technology
Banned

Originally Posted by rcdash
I guess the question is why do you provide 4 bungs after the cat when only 2 are needed for the stock WB. If anyone needs more than 2, they are going to want it to be pre-cat. Am I missing a use case for having 4 bungs after the cat?

I will say that the quality of your stuff and the metallic hfc substrate looked great - around 150 or 200 cell right? If only you guys made something big, like 3", I wouldn't have had to get custom ones made - the joys of FI .

In regards to the bracing, if that's what your recommending, I'd like to know how things turn out. I've seen several TXS test pipes break at the brace. Do you have pics of your bracing mechanism (it allows play while supporting it?).
We've had that original design locked down since late 2006 as our base pipe used for test pipes. I have a tube forming company bend the pipes for us, prep them (deburr, polish, clean), and drill 4 holes in them for the 4 bungs.

So every pipe I have already has the locations ready for the bung. So the bungs still go there. We don't charge you extra for them, and we give you plugs for them when not in use. So if you want to use them, then great, if not, leave the plugs on there and pretend like it never happened.

About the support braces. Have another look at your stock cats and look at how they are made. They are fully boxed in. Very stiff, and very strong. You only get a tiny bit of movement from the flexing of the wing brace and the rubber bushings that are on the tranny.

Most of the other companies who give you support tabs are only doing so for marketing reasons vs. an engineered reason. Hence, the improperly designed, and woefully inadequate support tab (I'll call them tabs, our are braces). They'll take 16 gauge or maybe 14 gauge sheet metal and make one 90 degree bend on it and weld it to the pipe. So how much force can that take before it bends? And how long will it last before it fatigues, stress fractures, and snaps off?

(Gotta pull the camera out for this one... you're welcome )
Now, take a look at our support braces. These are what come on all of our HFC's, 03-06 & 07-up. 12 gauge, 304 stainless, fully gussested. Which one would you call a support brace, and which one would you call a tab?

(if you are wondering what that little square is for, it's the backgauge for the bender. The parts are cut first on a Mitsubishi laser, then feed into the CNC bender. That back gauge is the "stopper". We grind them off before we ship them to you.)

On the 07-up test pipes, since they are going directly onto pipe (.065" wall tube vs. .085" wall of the cats) we plate those braces in there as well. So you have the 12 gauge brace, with a 12 gauge gusset, and a double wall .13" plate that it sits on. And look 4 bungs! 2 for stock O2, 2 for wide band, plugs included if you aren't going to use them.

Let me know what you guys think. Discuss!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by toyn2time
I have Crawford cats right now and have had them on the car for a little over a year. From what I understand, they are just "gutted" stock cats. Not really sure what that means entirely. Needless to say, I should've done more research as I not that thrilled with them. I will be buying Berks shortly.
I'm still wondering about the comment in blue above... anyone have insight on this?...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM
singh

^^
If they were just gutted ("gutted" means to empty something completely), then they would just be straight-through pipes, like test pipes. If your Crawford cats are gutted, then you should have a CEL (check engine light) coming on because your cats are not burning the gases.

If you do not have a CEL, then most likely your Crawford cats are doing their job. However, I never saw dyno results of Crawford cats on an 07, so who knows what kind of performance benefit you are getting, that is, if you are getting any at all.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Sick Z

I called in to order the Berk HFCs for my 07 HR on the day he advertised them. I have a couple of friends with Crawford cats, 1 of them which had their HFCs cave in, which really sucks for a $600 set of HFCs. I ordered the Berks from Brian, and had my buddies help with the install. Amazing quality, perfect fitment, nice sturdy braces! And no CEL light . And definitely alot cheaper in price compared to Crawford and FI! Thanks again Brian!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
^^
If they were just gutted ("gutted" means to empty something completely), then they would just be straight-through pipes, like test pipes. If your Crawford cats are gutted, then you should have a CEL (check engine light) coming on because your cats are not burning the gases.

If you do not have a CEL, then most likely your Crawford cats are doing their job. However, I never saw dyno results of Crawford cats on an 07, so who knows what kind of performance benefit you are getting, that is, if you are getting any at all.
thanks for the response... I know what gutted cats are - I just never heard that Crawfords are nothing more than gutted OEM... I don’t believe it to be true... I'm using them on my 04 G sedan, no CEL... so I was hoping the poster could provide insight to where he got this information.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
texasZ350

just wanted to say, i just ordered a set of ceramic HFC for my 2004 Z. Now i gotta wait till i go home for a weekend from school so i can install!! Really excited for em,

but for people that have installed them - is this something i should be able to tackle on a couple stands? I have basic tools and very basic know-how, nothing too tough. I just do my oil changes, installed my pop charger, helped a couple friends with their CAI - very basic stuff. Should i be able to tackle this on my own?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
gothchick

Let me know what you guys think. Discuss!
Wow, these look very high quality! Do you also make a resonated test pipe?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
03aeroZ

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Check out Paul's prices on Berks HFC's

https://01885bc.netsolstores.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1833

where did they get that list price? I have only seen the berk HFC for $340-$350?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Props! Nice pictures - and looks like the brace design was well thought out. Thanks for taking pics to document it here.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Nobody has clarified whether or not an aftermarket O2 wideband will be affected if it installed before or after the cat. Anyone with knowledge in this field?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
Wow, these look very high quality! Do you also make a resonated test pipe?
+1

TK
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a wideband is only useful precat - post cat I wouldnt even bother

the problem is space is at a severe premium and doing it precat would make for a very difficult install I think
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Berk_Technology
Banned

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Nobody has clarified whether or not an aftermarket O2 wideband will be affected if it installed before or after the cat. Anyone with knowledge in this field?
Yes, it will read .2-.3 leaner after the cat vs. before.

Quick Reply: High flow cats questions