Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

What is everyones problem with the SSV???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 AM
Nismo350Z_00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is everyones problem with the SSV???

I have searched this question over and over. I cant find a very good answer. I want some good proof dammit, lol. I plan on getting the Kinetix SSV, I like the way it looks and i have heard some good things about it, i have also heard some bad thing about it. But it looks the best IMO. Please give me some input only if you have some solid backup, resources, and proof that it doesnt work. Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 AM
dozzer1b

theres a dyno floatin around on here that shows that the SSV is only a good decision if u r FI, even then its not a very good investment (Power wise), of course its the best looking intake manifold u can buy
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Nismo350Z_00

I think if i have the Injen CAI, Tanabe Y-Pipe, Invidia Test Pipes, and a Invidia Cat-Back Exhaust it might work. IDK though. I want to change the headers but i heard that you dont get much of a gain for those and they arent worth the trouble of changing them.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nismo350Z_00
I have searched this question over and over. I cant find a very good answer. I want some good proof dammit, lol. I plan on getting the Kinetix SSV, I like the way it looks and i have heard some good things about it, i have also heard some bad thing about it. But it looks the best IMO. Please give me some input only if you have some solid backup, resources, and proof that it doesnt work. Thanks in advance

looks are not everything but if that is what you want, then get it.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

But it looks the best IMO.
Then get it.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:38 PM
hr2burn

I got mine used for $300, so price wasn't a big deal. I gained like 6 hp but about 11 tq. I also love it's look. It disapates heat much better than any of the thick cast manifolds. No need to flame, I am not saying it's the best thing out there, i'd much rather have the Cosworth but 1) they were not available then and 2) they ARE expensive.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
turismo

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/326300-possible-pattern-as-to-why-ssv-gains-some-people-power-and-others-lose-power.html
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 AM
chaparro78

A lot of people like to jump on or off a bandwaggon and give opinions on things they don't know much about. You have to filter through the BS because there are many posters who have never had the SSV on their car and just go off what "another" person said. All I can tell you is that I achieved gains with it. But, I am FI. I have no idea if you will see any significan't gains with it on a N/A car. Their isn't really any mods you can do to the Z to get significant gain (over 300RWHP) unless you go FI though.

In my opinion it is the best looking intake manifold, and now they even have an engine cover for it

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...ProdID=15&HS=1
Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it's a piece of crap

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/208880-kinetix-plenum-shoot-out-stock-car-plus-more.html

green=ssv
https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....3&d=1155170674
Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

The thing made consistent power for me..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21996251@N06/
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Highway Riding

I think if i have the Injen CAI, Tanabe Y-Pipe, Invidia Test Pipes, and a Invidia Cat-Back Exhaust it might work. IDK though. I want to change the headers but i heard that you dont get much of a gain for those and they arent worth the trouble of changing them.

if u havent purchased any of these then i would say hold off on the headers and test pipes. (even tho most say test pipes give the most HP on NA)

IMO i'd go with:
JWT pop charger
Invidia G200 or Turbo XS wich both come with a y pipe..
and intake manifold of ur choice..
Dyno ur car then move forward then so on.. Also get ur car dyno'd now (before mods) to see where ur numbers are at. Having a base to work off of huge..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
savvy

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
The thing made consistent power for me..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21996251@N06/

are you trying to claim that your SSV netted you 30whp?!?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by savvy
are you trying to claim that your SSV netted you 30whp?!?
Nice try...
i have a mod list..

kinetix claims a max of 16hp themselves why in the world would i add 14 hp..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
savvy

Nice try...
i have a mod list..

kinetix claims a max of 16hp themselves why in the world would i add 14 hp..

mod's being....exhaust intake and SSV? Even at that 30 is still pretty high.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by savvy
mod's being....exhaust intake and SSV? Even at that 30 is still pretty high.
Intake too (not tuned).. I totally agree that it does seem high but IMO the stock cats and y pipe with the Tanabe E are having a positive affect with this setup.. I also purchased this thing used a while ago and the guy who had it before me swore by it. he was using it on a G with a SC with a borla exhaust no tune..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Waste of Money!

It's been dyno proven that (In most cases) it loses power without a tune. Even with a tune and F/I I have seen people do comparisons between the stock manifold and the scrap metal manifold, and the stock is better.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Waste of Money!

It's been dyno proven that (In most cases) it loses power without a tune. Even with a tune and F/I I have seen people do comparisons between the stock manifold and the scrap metal manifold, and the stock is better.
What about the claims of it being safer? They claim to dispense heat more evenly then opposed to the stock manifold. There was a detonatation debate (i totally forget where) that claimed the SSV's design would eliminate the type of detonation that occurs on FI Z's using the stock manifold. Anyone else please chime in. I plan on slapping on a vortech SCSQ in the coming months and have no problem scrapping the ssv (got it for a decent price) for something that's shown to be safer as far as AF ratio's and consistent power all across the RPM range.

(my technical vocab may not be up to par just yest so please bare with me)lol
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the claims of it being safer? They claim to dispense heat more evenly then opposed to the stock manifold. There was a detonatation debate (i totally forget where) that claimed the SSV's design would eliminate the type of detonation that occurs on FI Z's using the stock manifold. Anyone else please chime in. I plan on slapping on a vortech SCSQ in the coming months and have no problem scrapping the ssv (got it for a decent price) for something that's shown to be safer as far as AF ratio's and consistent power all across the RPM range.

(my technical vocab may not be up to par just yest so please bare with me)lol
I think you are reffering to heat soak... as far as the manifold helping to prevent detonation, I still wouldn't get it for that soul purpose. There are plenty of people running the stock manifold with F/I, and having no issues at all. The only reason I can see people looking at that is if they are doing countless track events. I think the detonation is more to do with tuning then anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by SlideFox
I think you are reffering to heat soak... as far as the manifold helping to prevent detonation, I still wouldn't get it for that soul purpose. There are plenty of people running the stock manifold with F/I, and having no issues at all. The only reason I can see people looking at that is if they are doing countless track events. I think the detonation is more to do with tuning then anything.
Thanks.. personally speaking at this point in time i wouldn't pay $900 for the SSV alone but i can say that i'm not dissapointed in having one for half price..
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Zridder19

It sucks

Quick Reply: What is everyones problem with the SSV???