Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 04:55 AM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Failsaf you are making an assumption, man. You cannot infer that two of anything are the same based on pictures of the external shell. Everyone knows that an exhaust has to do with what it inside the pipes and mufflers. If you see a man walking down the street what do you infer? He is going to work? He just stole a breifcase? He is about to make a huge drug deal? I think all you can safely assume is that there is a man carrying a breifcase.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Iezzi

failsaf,

This may be off topic but I saw you have the injen intake and exhaust... I just put mine on this weekend. I LOVE it. one question does your dirvers side pipe sit up higher then the passengers side?
Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Mr350Z

I'm not bashing other's products, I'm merely speaking from development experience and trying to point out the intricacies of parts development/engineering processes that some on this board might not yet be familiar with. I know what goes into the development of these parts, and also know there are tons of products out there, some good some bad. It's all about what, you, the consumer are looking for.

Sorry if my tone is a little assertive, there is just soo much miss-information on this board....I guess it's part of the learning curve.

BTW, the Nismo launch on June 16th is the pre-launch of some 350Z and SE-R parts, the officail launch of Nismo will take place this October/November with the addition of more parts to the line.

BTW, the Fujitsubo exhaust pictured by "failsf3" is not the same as the Nismo exhaust. That unit has a different can & tips (tips are not angled upward) and is only a 2-piece unit (no Y-pipe..I believe)...and it makes no power. Also, the fuj. exhausts (the one pictured and the Tit. unit) are quiter than the Nismo units and don't give the same tonal sound, not as throaty as the Borla or Nismo exhausts. I think you guys have already figured this out, but in order to make decent power you need the Y-pipe. Also, if you are so inclined...dropping the cats REALLY helps power and sound.

Regards,
Old 07-15-2003, 08:51 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mr350Z

BTW, the Nismo launch on June 16th is the pre-launch of some 350Z and SE-R parts, the officail launch of Nismo will take place this October/November with the addition of more parts to the line.

oh really? are these parts more "power" mods? because in the next month or two i am dropping a crapful of $$ on most of the nismo parts already out. should i wait? i dont wanna miss out on better parts later down the line.

hmmm....what should i do........
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Mr350Z

I think I know where you're going with this. In addition to the power adders we have now, CAI, exhaust, headers and cams....there isn't much more you can do, unless you boost.

I've done quite a bit of research on boosting the Z....problems are inherent in the VQ itself,...high compression..etc. And to release a warranted Nismo turbo or supercharger would be expensive.

I have asked this group what they are willing to pay for a warranted system...and I think the threshold is around $6k including the install...anything above that, and I think the take rate drops dramatically.

If it were me...and it is, just took delivery of my car. I'd either get the Greddy turbo kit as it looks like the best thought-out unit and makes power across the entire power band...or most likely just go N20. There are a few guys running a dry 100 shot and I think they're in the 12's. Not bad for <$1000

I can tell you that the best car I have driven to date is our Nismo car with the headers, cams, CAI, and exhaust...car pulls like a bat out of hell all the way to redline....
Old 07-15-2003, 09:48 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Potato Head- So it must be pure coincidence that the Nismo and Fujitsubo look exactly the same. It doesn't mean Nismo and Fujitsubo are not both great exhausts. And I'm not doubting that Nismo does a great deal of R&D on everything that has the Nismo name on it.

dkent2- you may need to flip the exhaust hanger on the passanger side- the one you relocated duing the install. Mine sits perfect.

Mr350z- Actually Fujitsubo does make a Y-pipe and interestingly enough it looks just like the Nismo:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=20100-RSZ35
http://www.gruppe-s.com/350z/zex.htm

I think most people that read the engine forum appreciate your views on the the development and thought process behind Nismo design (myself included). I would encourage you to keep this up. I just wish I didn't have to see comments like this at the end of every post:
For those who insist the on the Borla's. Go right ahead. You can get an Untra-flow for cheaper yet, but would you put that on a 350Z? Personally, I would pay $200-$250 more for a quality, warranted unit.
Take any other company whom just winds up a set of springs & shocks for the Z and frankly don't have the expertise and the know-how to evaluate these in the same OE manner.
I will not allow a cheaper product to be made because some people have a different idea of what quality is.

I guess it boils down to what you believe makes a quality exhaust (or any other part). I think Nismo has some of the highest quality product on the market. However this does not mean that Nismo is the only company concerned with quality and just because Nissan sells a product does not automatically put it head and shoulders above the rest.
Again, please continue to pitch the advantages of the Nismo product line. Provide us with details on the R&D. Keep us informed of the new products that are on the horizon. I think it's great that you believe in your product, as well you should. But the negativity towards non-Nismo products is only going to offend many users on this board. I realize this may not be your intent but that's the way it's coming off.

Last edited by failsafe; 07-15-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
importriders

Actually I have heard from a very reputable source that some NISMO parts (intake and cams as far as I know) were co-designed or completely designed by other companies. Allot of NISMO R&D is out-sourced to companies like the ones mentioned. Hence the similarity between products.

Last edited by importriders; 07-15-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Mr350Z

You can share your opinions, but I say something that ruffles your feathers and you want to lecture me. Please...

To reiterate my point about the exhaust, the can is not the same (wasn't sure or not whether they offered the Y-pipe), The look and sound are quite different. The one you have pictured looks like the Nissan Stainless Steel accesory exhaust available in Japan (through the Nissan optional parts catalogue) which indeed is made by Fujitsubo.

As a fellow parts consumer and connoisseur, I'll share my personal opinions about products when I see fit, just as you have.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:59 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Nobody is getting ruffled feathers and there's no need to get defensive. I just feel that there needs to be more positives. Your opinion is exactly that, your opinion, and you're completely entitled to say whatever you feel. But I'm sure you would not appreciate it if someone posted that Nismo is not concerned with quality and would take exception to it.

Last edited by failsafe; 07-15-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I am pretty sure Nismo™ uses other companies for their product. I heard the cams are made by Tomei™, the exhaust is made by Fujitsubo™, intake by AEM™, Y-pipe by Fujitsubo™, the turbocharger or supercharger or anything else they plan on coming out with will probably be used/made by another company. Nismo™has very nice products I agree, but to say it is superior to others is ignorant. Like Failsaf3 said, it is up to the customer and what they want or are looking for. I am looking for strictly power and only power, regardless of looks or sound. The Injen™ intake and exhaust compliment each other making close to/or above 20rwhp, so I am going to go with Injen™.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Mr350Z

TT?..is you car Twin Turboed? If so...I'm interested in your setup. Seriously.

(QUOTE:I am looking for strictly power and only power, regardless of looks or sound.)...um OK.

...and I'm ignorant.

Let me school you a little bit here....some parts ARE better than other parts. Take for example the AMUSE exhaust. This is probably the best exhaust on the market for the Z. What makes it superior to any other unit on the market? The quality of the material, it's highly poilished & lightweight and most importantly it has robot welds & makes power. Inferior exhausts would have hand welds and would not be highly polished and might just look down-right scary. As you can see, there ARE reasons why some parts are better than others. I'm not just making suppositions here, and I am surely not ignorant in my opinions.

It all depends on your budget.....

BTW, does the Injen really make 20 rwhp? Genuinely curious....
Old 07-15-2003, 01:14 PM
apex locator

I can tell you that the best car I have driven to date is our Nismo car with the headers, cams, CAI, and exhaust...car pulls like a bat out of hell all the way to redline....

i have also heard this....thats my plan in the next couple months: cams, i/h/e. will the stock ecu be able to handle these mods? i'm not interested in boost for the z.....i want to keep the reliability of an n/a setup.

and my question about the new product release in oct/nov. is whether there will be new cams or catbacks, etc. that will produce more power than the currently available nismo mods. if so, i might prefer to wait. tia.

kv
Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
failsafe
....for your health

it's highly poilished & lightweight and most importantly it has robot welds & makes power.
Injen has all of these too
Old 07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

TT?..is you car Twin Turboed? If so...I'm interested in your setup. Seriously.

(QUOTE:I am looking for strictly power and only power, regardless of looks or sound.)...um OK.

...and I'm ignorant.

Let me school you a little bit here....some parts ARE better than other parts. Take for example the AMUSE exhaust. This is probably the best exhaust on the market for the Z. What makes it superior to any other unit on the market? The quality of the material, it's highly poilished & lightweight and most importantly it has robot welds & makes power. Inferior exhausts would have hand welds and would not be highly polished and might just look down-right scary. As you can see, there ARE reasons why some parts are better than others. I'm not just making suppositions here, and I am surely not ignorant in my opinions.

It all depends on your budget.....

BTW, does the Injen really make 20 rwhp? Genuinely curious....
No my future 350Z is not twin turbocharged. I am interested in power, regardless of looks or sound. I was saying that the Nismo has only made about 8rwhp. The Borla made about 10rwhp. The Injen, when combined with the intake, made about 20rwhp. Ask failsaf3, and it is all across the power band. Why are you "genuinely curious"? Thinking of making some notes to Nismo HQ's? I never said you ignorant, I said it is ignorant when you post a post that acts like Nismo is superior to all other products. Some parts ARE better than others to CERTAIN people. The Amuse exhaust is VERY nice. But it costs 2+k and only makes about 8rwhp. So like I said, it is up to the person and what they are looking for. Skidazzle (Michael) has a custom single turbo setup and axis007 (James) has a custom twin turbo setup. And Cheston does too (Chebosto). PM them for details. In using your words, the Amuse is robot-welded? Hand welds are subpar? Ferrari's are made by hand, and 350Z's are made by robots, what's better?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by b18bvudoo
i have also heard this....thats my plan in the next couple months: cams, i/h/e. will the stock ecu be able to handle these mods? and my question about the new product release in oct/nov. is whether there will be new cams or catbacks, etc. that will produce more power than the currently available nismo mods. if so, i might prefer to wait. tia.
kv
Your stock ECU will handle the Nismo mods. The parts are designed to work with it. Any car will do one step better with proper ECU tuning. As far as other Cams and Exhaust, I haven't heard anything, but maybe someone else who seems to have more knowledge can chime in.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Mr350Z

Jeff, B18,
Currently, we are not planning more agressive cams or a new exhaust. Does this group think there is demand for more agressive cams?

The current Nismo cams are pretty mild for streetability. Please keep in mind that low RPM power would be sacrificed for higher RPM peak power.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:28 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I personally couldn't care less if Nismo parts are designed or built by other manufacturers. I just want high quality stuff at reasonable prices. Nismo would seem to me to have an advantage in sales over the smaller companies, as they have dealerships all over the country to sell you their products, so it could be a win-win for both Nismo and whoever is working with them.

On the other hand, people really reading a lot of these boards will soon figure these things out, and will buy the cheapest version of said parts under whoever's brand they may be sold That is probably a minority group of all Z owners, though.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 PM
apex locator

Jeff, B18,
Currently, we are not planning more agressive cams or a new exhaust. Does this group think there is demand for more agressive cams?

The current Nismo cams are pretty mild for streetability. Please keep in mind that low RPM power would be sacrificed for higher RPM peak power.

thanks jeff, mr350z,

i guess i will continue with my current nismo plans

kv
Old 07-15-2003, 09:18 PM
can350z

Default Mr350z...........cams.......

Nismo cam duration is 262 with approx 10.2mm lift...

Would a cam with 264 duration and 10.2mm lift be acceptable with ecu and stock valve springs???

Where is the duration cut-off for stock springs and ecu tuning??

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer......
Old 07-16-2003, 01:58 AM
mjedens

Default NISMO HEADERS

I started this thread with a topic concerning my installation of NISMO Headers! Out of 39 replys , only 3 have anything to do with the topic! I've found some replys to be informative, but I still have the same F****** problem!!! It's gotten so bad I'll be replacing the steering column soon!! I'm guessing it's probably an installation problem on my end because I'm the only one that has experienced it! Go ahead & close this thread!!

Quick Reply: Nismo Headers