Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 11:29 AM
f r e z N Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 3rdpower
...there was some pinging at the higher RPM range due to the rev limiter being moved up and running rich? ...
Just wanted to add my $.02 about "running rich" as a couple people have made comments about it in this thread. The danger is in running too lean, not rich. In simples terms, running lean means that you have more air without adding more fuel. The stock ECU tends to run rich at higher RPM's to be more forgiving to extreme lean possibilities. The tuned ECU has slightly leaned out the mixture at specific RPM ranges, because drivers using it should be using premium gas, which resists pinging (predetonation). Adding more air than fuel creates more power, but going too far will cause the engine cylinder to get so hot, that the mixture combusts before the spark is fired.

I believe that if the new plenum is pulling the same amount of air into the intake, yet distributing it in a more efficient manner so that more cylinders get a more equal fuel/air ratio, then this should only help cars that are using the "tuned" ECU to avoid running too lean and pinging in the front cylinders.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:17 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
Any comments on this?
Doug and Chris have dyno sheets for the plenum. I lost both my scans of them. Maybe they still have them somewhere.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 PM
PhoenixINX

I baselined 244 peak...

With the plenum I made 253 peak... and 19hp at redline.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:15 PM
dougrace zs

The engine is not leaning out I have an air fuel ratio gauge in the car and I have been watching it for about 2 weeks no lean condition at all if anything we are still to rich at WOT with the plenum and cats no headers at this time. Now with the headers it might be a different story.

As far as making HP only in the high rpm range unfortunately
we have a NA eng. NA engines typically make power in the higher RPM range with bolt on mods, look at f1 engs to make big power they twist them up to 18000 RPM. The only way your going to make lots of low end power is to super charge the eng
or increase eng size.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:23 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by dougrace zs
The engine is not leaning out I have an air fuel ratio gauge in the car and I have been watching it for about 2 weeks no lean condition at all if anything we are still to rich at WOT with the plenum and cats no headers at this time. Now with the headers it might be a different story.

As far as making HP only in the high rpm range unfortunately
we have a NA eng. NA engines typically make power in the higher RPM range with bolt on mods, look at f1 engs to make big power they twist them up to 18000 RPM. The only way your going to make lots of low end power is to super charge the eng
or increase eng size.
That's what I wanted to know. Just wanted to see if this mod would be worth it to me if I don't run it up to redline all the time. I may just want to save up for the procharger and leave the rest stock.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:39 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
That's what I wanted to know. Just wanted to see if this mod would be worth it to me if I don't run it up to redline all the time. I may just want to save up for the procharger and leave the rest stock.
If you're just cruising a supercharger won't help you either... sure you'll have more low down power (as for more daily torque, you'll have that also). Though if you're wanting peak power, EVEN with the SC you're going to need to rev it out. If you want stop and go BIG low down torque, get a Vette or a Viper... our Nissan still suffers from the "I need to be somewhat revved to make power" syndrome.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
rouxeny

Any pic with the powdercoating?
Old 07-19-2003, 04:16 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by rouxeny
Any pic with the powdercoating?
www.crawfordzcar.com

Under the plenum area, there is a picture of Adams plenum powercoated silver.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:45 PM
12SecZ

1. I absolutely love this mod it by far the best bang for buck mof for our Z you can do.

2.As for the SC it will only improve the air flow I do not see how this could ever be a negative to a Super Charger installed right and *tuned* By tuning I don't mean Techno Aquare why is EVERY thread seeminlgly hijacked by TS issues!)

I meaning getting a wideband EGT for your exhaust and putting those numbers into the FMU viaan exhaust tap.

I took the plastic cover off after the grounding kit, it just gets in the way. Haven't put on my STB yet because I'm not racing and it would have to comer off for my header and SC install anyway.

Doug feel free to use any pics and any comments I have made on this forum at your dicretion at your website.

What is that link in fact, I will link to it from mine. My website had 5000 hits until Comcast bought ATT .

Website is in my the WWW below my name or in my profile fo to the ohoto section to find a nice shot of the installed plenum or do a forum search by MaxHax on Crawfor Z Plenum Install.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:26 PM
kozik

silver powder on the plenum red on the strut braces:
Attached Thumbnails Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off-plenum1.jpg  
Old 07-19-2003, 06:27 PM
kozik

again
Attached Thumbnails Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off-plenum2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2003, 06:29 PM
kozik

the brackets are very nice. plasma cut it seems
Attached Thumbnails Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off-plenum3.jpg  
Old 07-28-2003, 01:13 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

I would like to purchase, but how much does this interfere with the warranty? and is the 400$ price still being offered? T.Y.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
fdao

Originally posted by kamikaZ
I would like to purchase, but how much does this interfere with the warranty? and is the 400$ price still being offered? T.Y.
KamikaZ,

On the Crawford site, the price has increased to $500. You can call Doug and see what he can do for you. Nice guy.

As for the warranty issue, it really depends on your dealership. They will have to prove that the plenum caused damage to your engine, if they don't honor your warranty, but don't be surprise if they give you a hard time about it .
Old 07-28-2003, 05:50 PM
12SecZ

I just watched that oval track video at your link to Crawford Z. That was a blast!

Is this the direct link to Crawford Z (the one in your profile Vandy?)

So I can update my webpage to this link?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:09 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by MaxHax
I just watched that oval track video at your link to Crawford Z. That was a blast!

Is this the direct link to Crawford Z (the one in your profile Vandy?)

So I can update my webpage to this link?
Sure, feel free to use it!

http://www.crawfordzcar.com

You should see the full length video. That is Doug driving his ITS race car. It is one mean car. Only Doug would take a low vin 240 and make it a race car!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:47 PM
raceboy
Banned

I am just pissed I waited to see what would happen with the TS ECU. I could have had this plenum for my next event on the 3rd. I am calling tomorrow to order. Hopefully, I can still get it for $400.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:25 PM
kozik

this plenum rules.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:21 AM
BrImSt0ne

After you install the Crawford Z Plenum can you still use the factory engine cover? Thx for the install guide Crawford, the install looks fairly easy.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:38 AM
alphaz

I have had my plenum for about 8 weeks now . I have only been able the drive the Z in that time. I can tell you that this baby pulls, where before it lagged on the top end.
Thanks Doug.
I will be driving it more after the 3rd of Aug......auto-x and maybe Road Atlanta.

Quick Reply: Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off