Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off

Well with better than 20 units ordered, made, and delivered, we were wanting some feedback and wondering how you liked them. If anyone wanted to have a mini-testimonial put up on the web page that would be cool too.

BTW, I love mine . . .Thanks Doug!

My coined phrase: "It don’t make no sense how fast my car is now"

The excitement of the plenum made me forget about proper grammar.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:32 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey VandyZ,

Mine's on order and I'm waiting for some opinions on it as well, I take it the plenum definately lets the two front cylinders breathe better for some fun 'n extra oomph? What's your thoughts on the gains from the plenum?

--Justin
Old 07-17-2003, 06:50 AM
cbsuper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's getting installed tomorrow. Cannot wait.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:03 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Juztin
Hey VandyZ,

Mine's on order and I'm waiting for some opinions on it as well, I take it the plenum definately lets the two front cylinders breathe better for some fun 'n extra oomph? What's your thoughts on the gains from the plenum?

--Justin
Both on Doug's and Chris (Evil350Z) Car it dynoed around 9 hp at peak and 20 hp at redline. Thats solid proof enough for me. If you ask me if you can feel a difference. . .YES! It is amazing how it changed the 4000+ RPM feel. It is almost like a cam the way it feels. I think the engine actually thanks you for the extra air every time you take it to redline. The sound is aggressive as well. I hope you will be just half as satisfied as me. Worth every penny.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:49 AM
cbsuper

If the Technosquare ECU does increases the RPM limit to 7200 then the Z will become an even more fun ride.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Traffic

Well, what was going on at high rpm was that the power curve was sloping down right around 6000-6200 RPM. What this translated to was a feeling that the engine was running out of steam, so to speak, just before fuel cut. You would have all this punch from 3000-5500 rpm but the revs & acceleration slowed just before the rev limiter. The plenum is changing all of that; not only was peak HP increased by 9 HP, and HP before fuel cut, around 6400-6500 RPM, was increased by 20HP! You can imagine what this has done for performance. The car revs powerfully right up to redline now. He could've charged $800 and this would've still been a good deal. Thanks, Doug
Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 AM
kozik

Mine showed up yesterday afternoon and i insatlled it last night.

I am beyond happy. the plenum itself looks great with the powder coat, install was easy and the strut bar is a piece of art. my neighbor Randy came over..he's a long time track racer sort of guy and has Mitsubishi race shop and he was very very impressed with the quality of the strut bar. And he is not easily impressed.

at 2 am once i was finished, I toook the car for a test drive. IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION. Car feels 'beefier' and seems noticeably faster...more than i would have thought for such a simple parts swap.

I am 500% satisfied. Doug was also excellent to deal with. Unlike some other parts acquisitions, the entire experience with Crawford and the parts was completely excellent.

And, my red strut braces look GREAT! I'll take a picture later today and post it.

THANKS DOUG! (your core goes back today)
Old 07-17-2003, 09:30 AM
3rdpower

There some rumors about the plenum modification messin' with the TechnoSquare ECU benefits... An individual (names have been excluded to protect the innocent) stated that there was some pinging at the higher RPM range due to the rev limiter being moved up and running rich? Not sure if this is going to be an issue - just wondering if anyone had had any of these types of issues?

I'm getting my plenum and ECU in about a week and a half. I'll be letting everyone know how it turns out with 92 octane
Old 07-17-2003, 09:51 AM
kozik

It was my understanding the ECU could be further tweaked to compensate for mods at 20 bucks an upgrade?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:00 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by 3rdpower
There some rumors about the plenum modification messin' with the TechnoSquare ECU benefits... An individual (names have been excluded to protect the innocent) stated that there was some pinging at the higher RPM range due to the rev limiter being moved up and running rich? Not sure if this is going to be an issue - just wondering if anyone had had any of these types of issues?

I'm getting my plenum and ECU in about a week and a half. I'll be letting everyone know how it turns out with 92 octane
I can't confirm any of these claims, as we do not have a modified ecu . . .yet. We have lobbied to the testers and tuners to make them work together (hopefully tuned for the plenum). We have even sent them a plenum for their use. From my understanding there may have been a bit of an issue in the beginning but I think it was resolved with their production release. Also they were using a lower grade octane then we use here (I get 93). I would call and ask the TechnoSquare team their thoughts. Both Crawford and TechnoSquare teams have been in discussions for tuning the 350Z. We both value each others products and pride ourselves in bringing you some of the best performing performance parts thus far.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 AM
3rdpower

93 octane! doh!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:46 AM
kozik

installed:
Attached Thumbnails Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off-plenum1.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 10:50 AM
mjedens

Default Plenum

The Crawford Plenum has created so much additional HP & Torque it's causing my new Nismo Headers to "rub" the steering column when turning right!!!!!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
VandyZ

Default Re: Plenum

Originally posted by mjedens
The Crawford Plenum has created so much additional HP & Torque it's causing my new Nismo Headers to "rub" the steering column when turning right!!!!!
Cool Huh!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:37 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by kozik
installed:
Looks good . . .I have my brackets black now, but I am feeling that red. It would look good with the Injen.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:41 AM
cbsuper

I am so excited to get this done!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:43 AM
kozik

red injen and red hoses are next.!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:45 AM
kozik

they came out sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off-plenum2.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
dougrace zs

Man that thing looks great might half to do that to mine
Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 PM
cbsuper

Just a question. If I can save money then I might install the plenum myself. How hard is it to install the plenum?

Quick Reply: Owners of Crawford Z Plenum's . . .Sound off