Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Any with experence with ebay headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
sourskittle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any with experence with ebay headers ?

I've read a lot of threads with people bashing the ebay headers and all that, but I was wondering if anyone has REAL EXPERENCE with any of them.

Its not like the NA guys here are putting 1800degree EGTs out or anything.

I gambled on an Ebay intercooler ( $285 shipped ) for my SRT4, and I was the 3rd SRT4 EVER to run 11.9 on a stock turbo without nitrous with it. In the mean time, there were about 20 threads on the forums about how you really needed to buy a $650 AGP intercooler or the $800 Sperco.

I reallize the money isn't really the issue, its more the time/effort involved with installing these headers, but... Has ANYONE ever used ANY of the ebay versions ?

I was thinking about buying this version "Link to ebay headers" and then re-tig any welds that look shady, but to be honest, I doubt I'd need to. A lot of the ebay headers have nice looking welds and are made of 304 stainless.

Of course, there is a lot of junk on ebay too, so I see why people wouldn't really want to mess with a $130 header, but they look pretty well built for the most part...

Anyone that's used or knows someone that's used them, please post ( or PM me if you don't wanna get flamed ).

I just find it odd everyone calls them junk, and no one has used ANY of them ( couple different versions ).

I wouldn't be posting this if this was a turbocharged car ( or even S/C really ), but I just find it hard to believe that a tig welded 304 stainless header is going to crack up the huge 220-280whp ( 110whp-140whp per bank ) that the VQ35 puts out a long with its ultra high 1100 degree EGTs...

Last edited by sourskittle; 07-09-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
shakuya88

I don't have exp with ebay headers but I have an ebay turbo and so far everything is fine. at first I has oil leak issues but that was due to poor drain, not the turbo's fault. For an NA build on a VQ they would most likely not totally die but who knows. Also I don't know if it would even be worth trying...a lot of hassle getting them on or a good size labor charge for a few extra HP... To me that doesn't seem worth it, then again my FINAL goal is JWT TT so I'll never be doing headers. Then again a few extra HP is sometimes all someone wants. IMO...give them a try. For 120~ shipped that is the best deal you'll ever find for NEW headers. and if you end up not liking them or something...put them back on ebay and someone else who is curious about them will pick them up most likely.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you don't find many is because most people don't want to risk the chance of going through the difficult labor of installing headers and then they soon find out that something goes wrong. Then they have to do it all over again, and that's very tough. And labor can amount to be very pricey.

Some people are smart and do it right the first time. If you want to take a risk, then by all means go for it because I am not halting your crusade.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
ANXIOUZ

If Borla can put out headers that they admit don't do anything, I would have serious reservations about hitting offbrand ebay headers. Especially with the cost of install factored in. I would rather just find someone selling their in the classifieds here if you want to save some money.

And you're the first person I've heard of having a good experience with an ebay FMIC. I would credit the nos over the IC.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Hoooper

I wouldnt buy ebay headers for any vehicle, especially not one that doesnt hardly gain even with the best sets. there ARE headers on ebay that you will lose HP with so watchout

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
I would credit the nos over the IC.
Originally Posted by sourskittle
without nitrous with it.

Last edited by Hoooper; 07-09-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all up to you to take the risk. Back when I had my Tundra I got some ebay headers that were "304" Stainless but they ended up rusting BAD after 2 months.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Headers and intercoolers are two different things.

Any hollow hunk of aluminium that you run air past will cool the charge. Headers should be designed to make air flow in a distinct frequeny or pattern. I'm sure these $85 headers have no R&D invested into them. They're simply tubes welded together.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Escobar

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts

epic fail if you do...
Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Skrilla

Obviously it seems possible ebay headers would provide absolutely nothing since they are almost nothing to buy, possible made of cheap material and crappy welds but without 1st hand experience many replies to the OP are from non experienced opinionators of why they are so bad. Me personally I have seen 1st hand, twice, of working ebay headers and 1 VERY terrible example. However the "working" header asks the quesion of functionality - but anything is better than the generic manifolds our motors come with). Any experienced welder can make equal length tubular headers though...its all on the material used
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 PM
sourskittle

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
I would credit the nos over the IC.
The 11.9 on the stock turbo was WITHOUT the nitrous and my wife daily drove it to work. I did put 13 bottles of 100shot through it though on top of power it was making without the bottle. That was also on the stock clutch too, but the SRT4 is a whole-nother story really, I sold the SRT4 b/c I wanted something nicer to drive and I didn't want to get into something I'd want to boost the crap out of. The G35 fit the bill perfect. Its BAD *** to drive, has good power stock ( I was impressed really ), and best of all for my wife, its got uber weak internals with high compression. I'd have to build the motor before even thing about boosting it ( b/c I'm one of those people that can't live with 5-8psi ), and between building a VQ35, finding a machine shop that wouldn't screw it up, and paying for all the turbo parts ( I'd build my own kit using an AEM EMS ) I simply could not, and prob. never will be able to afford or justify it.

Anyway... So.... no ones tried them b/c everyone pays people to work on there cars ?

I honestly can't see a set of long tube headers LOSING power over stock manifolds. I understand there is some crazy frequecy crap and all that good stuff, but really.... It would maintain back presure since no one with a G35 is going to ride around with an open exhuast ( that would be crazy sounding though !!).

I don't know.... Maybe I'll try them one day... Kind of sad that I'm all about spending $200 for a set of brake pads, but I'd cheap out on the headers

Right now I'm saving my pennies for a road course event at Sebring raceway in 2 weeks or so. I've gotta get the project MU B-force pads installed, sat. radio, stainless clutch line, and get the cats put back on ( gutted the secondarys ) before the event. Had a good 350z buddy GIVE ME a crawford intake and a Z-tube for FREE, so that's about the only reason I've started looking into power mods, I'm happy with the power already.

Maybe some VQ guys with some first hand experence will chime in between now and when ever I deside to make the leap... Maybe I can work something with my buddy to get them dyno'd, but it wouldn't be the same day, so results would vary anyway ( besides, I've had enough of that crap with the SRT4, I was a test mule for PTP performance ).