Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen SES sucks IMO

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 11:52 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injen SES sucks IMO

In my opinion, the Injen SES dual exhaust SUCKS!

I just had it installed today and this thing has ZERO class.

1 Its loud and obnoxious
2 It sounds the same at 4000 RPMS as it does at redline, loud and obnoxious.
3 It overides all other sounds so you only hear the loud and obnoxious honda racer wanna B.

I have cat pipes so this may affect the sound and I only have 10 miles on it so maybe it needs to be broke in. Even if it needs a good 300 miles brake in, it will have to drastically change.

Here's the good part. After work, I came home tonight and installed the silencers in about 2 minutes to see if that would help bring out some character in the exhaust. After about 2 miles, I hated the sound with the silencers so I wanted them out. I easily removed the passenger side silencer and went to remove the drivers side silencer. The SOB wouldn't budge!!! So I calmly went to the tool chest and got some pliers. After about 10 minutes of tugging and pulling to no avail I was getting a bit flustered so I looked around the garage to find something to stick in the silencer tip to snag the other end to get a little leverage on to tug it out. After about 1 hour of working, I was pissed!! I went out to my office and got some heavy duty piping stuck it inside the silencer and nearly broke my back pulling and tugging as hard as I freaking could to no avail. At this point, I was on the verge of freaking insanity. I actually placed a large pipe inside the silencer with a notch in the end to grab the silencer in the inside and hooked it to my Jeep Wrangler's tow hook strapped with an extremely heavy duty dog leash that was for my 120lb black lab that was laughing at me histarically in the passengers seat of the Jeep. OK, so I started throttling backwards and to my amazement, the car started pulling backwards so I hopped out and threw it in gear and made sure the parking brake was fully engaged, which it was. I then hopped back into the jeep and gave it another go, The freakin leash ripped straight in half with the pipe still stuck into the tailpipe!!!! At this point, I nearly started to break down. I gathered my senses and realized I should heat the silencer up so I got a blow tourch and heated it red hot and pulled with all my might. BAMM, it popped right out after I blew out every last disk in my back. I've regained my sanity since and I've decided the Injen wasn't meant for me. The moral of the story is, don't ever, ever put a silencer in and Injen exhaust if you plan on taking it out without at least an H2 and a 2 ton rated tow strap!!!

Last edited by zoasis; 07-25-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 AM
fdao

Zoasis,

That was a great description of your plight! I was LMAO as I was imagining how you pulled it out .

Thanks for bringing a laugh to me today. I needed it . I hope the sound gets better as it "burns" in. Hang in there.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:51 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zoasis... I have to admit that your story hit.. THE play of the day. Very funny... really not funny at the time.. but very funny, nooo -- let's say hilarious ... after the whole thing happened.

Old 07-26-2003, 02:13 AM
joust75

Ditto!
Made me laugh

I do feel your pain though. It sucks when you spend that kind of money and are let down
Old 07-26-2003, 09:58 AM
VQ35DES

thats what you get for buying coffee cans
Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 AM
shaneotool

Sorry you don't like your exhaust. I know that sucks - but I do remember reading that it does sound better after a few hundred miles.

I was really thinking about getting this exhaust, but the loudness of it may keep me from getting it. Whats the deal with the exhausts anyway- Borla is about as loud as stock, and the Injen is loud as hell. Why can't there be something in between?

Maybe Borla with the test pipes is the way to go.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:43 PM
sschmuve

Yeah. It quiets down after a couple of weeks. I wasn't sure about the sound at first, but now I love it!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:10 PM
joust75

Originally posted by shaneotool
Sorry you don't like your exhaust. I know that sucks - but I do remember reading that it does sound better after a few hundred miles.

I was really thinking about getting this exhaust, but the loudness of it may keep me from getting it. Whats the deal with the exhausts anyway- Borla is about as loud as stock, and the Injen is loud as hell. Why can't there be something in between?

Maybe Borla with the test pipes is the way to go.
I have the Borla and it is plenty loud. People always turn their heads when they hear me coming. (Some in fear, some in awe of the awesome sound)

IMO any louder would be obnoxious
Old 07-26-2003, 04:11 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by sschmuve
Yeah. It quiets down after a couple of weeks. I wasn't sure about the sound at first, but now I love it!
It will quiet down quite a bit below 5000RPM once it's broken in.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:54 PM
zoasis

Originally posted by failsaf3
It will quiet down quite a bit below 5000RPM once it's broken in.
thats good news, maybe it will be OK then. I'll let you all know very soon!
Old 07-26-2003, 07:45 PM
mediq

should have done more research before you bought the system.
I love the sound and my partner who bought the borla so we could compare loves the sound of my SES over the borla and the
powerhmmmm I smoke him so don't bad mouth a system just cause you don't like the sound. DUH
Old 07-26-2003, 08:47 PM
zoasis

Originally posted by mediq
I love the sound and my partner who bought the borla so we could compare loves the sound of my SES over the borla and the
powerhmmmm I smoke him so don't bad mouth a system just cause you don't like the sound. DUH

Uuuuuh, huhuhuh, uuuuuuh, huhuhuhu, uuuuuuuh, huhuhuhuhu.

Bevis, I already did bad mouth the Injen SES for sounding like a classless POS.

I did do my homework listening to many soundclips, looking at dynocharts and getting various opinions from you guys online. It just happens that many of you like the sound of the SES. We'll, its my god given right to not like it and express my dislike. I wouldn't recommend this exhaust to anyone unless you like the coffee can sound.

Maybe the sound will change, I don't know, but I'm warning those on the verge between Borla and Injen that if they don't want excessively loud and obnoxious noise that over rides all other sounds of the Z, then don't go with the Injen, thats all.

On the other hand, if you only want to hear an obnoxiously loud exhaust, then go with the Injen.

its all about taste.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:21 PM
cindyjeanne25

JEEP WAVE!

Old 07-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Dude,

If you are running no cats with the Injen, then that's why the exhaust is sooooo loud now. I just put my ahem... "test pipes" on yesterday, and damn, my car is TOOOOO loud. I am quite literally running around w/ open headers only piped to the back of the car! I previously had no muffler on my Z, and only the resonator. Now w/ the no cats, I'd say the sound level w/ up by 50%. Before it sounded amzing IMO, but now it's just too loud. I'm going w/ the borla's for some mufflers (which I now need soooo damn badly). I hope to get the sound back to the level of what my car used to sound like, a "mean loud", but not obnoxious. After running around w/ only hearing the exhaust and nothing else, I look foward to the days of being able to hear my music, much less... my thoughts in my head, and not just the exhaust lol. So in all, it's that your running no cats why it's obnoxiously loud. Believe me, I just became part of that club, but hopefully not for long lol. B.t.w., I love my no cats mod!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:56 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Uuuuuh, huhuhuh, uuuuuuh, huhuhuhu, uuuuuuuh, huhuhuhuhu.

Bevis, I already did bad mouth the Injen SES for sounding like a classless POS.
zoasis.... waaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha.... You crack me up. This is the funniest thread in a loooong time..... Thanks !
Old 07-26-2003, 10:04 PM
mgl

Default Re: Injen SES sucks IMO

Originally posted by zoasis
......my 120lb black lab that was laughing at me histarically in the passengers seat of the Jeep......

sorry to hear that you don't like your exhaust.... but off topic, your blk.lab is 120lbs??? isn't that kinda heavy for a black lab?? my golden retriever is just shy of 100lbs.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:56 PM
zoasis

Default Re: Re: Injen SES sucks IMO

Originally posted by mgl
sorry to hear that you don't like your exhaust.... but off topic, your blk.lab is 120lbs??? isn't that kinda heavy for a black lab?? my golden retriever is just shy of 100lbs.
Yeah, he's one big *****! Actually he may be more like 110. My female blonde lab is definitely 120+ but she's a bit too fat. The male is solid as a rock.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:03 AM
zoasis

Originally posted by Juztin
Dude,

If you are running no cats with the Injen, then that's why the exhaust is sooooo loud now. I just put my ahem... "test pipes" on yesterday, and damn, my car is TOOOOO loud. I am quite literally running around w/ open headers only piped to the back of the car! I previously had no muffler on my Z, and only the resonator. Now w/ the no cats, I'd say the sound level w/ up by 50%. Before it sounded amzing IMO, but now it's just too loud. I'm going w/ the borla's for some mufflers (which I now need soooo damn badly). I hope to get the sound back to the level of what my car used to sound like, a "mean loud", but not obnoxious. After running around w/ only hearing the exhaust and nothing else, I look foward to the days of being able to hear my music, much less... my thoughts in my head, and not just the exhaust lol. So in all, it's that your running no cats why it's obnoxiously loud. Believe me, I just became part of that club, but hopefully not for long lol. B.t.w., I love my no cats mod!
Yeah, I guess thats probably the problem. I'm gonna throw the cats back on tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how I feel then. At the moment, I'm a bit embarrased to start the Z up at night for fear that I'm awakening the neighborhood, especially since I always do my mods in the middle of the night like right now. I just installed the Stoptechs and they fit perfectly behind the Enkei RPO-2J's which I use for autocross so thats great news!! I just finished bedding the new brake pads too which was a bit of fun. I'll post results on the addition of cats tomorrow,if results are good, I might have to find some high flow cats.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:22 AM
little_rod

I really don't know what I am going to choose for an exhaust. It is my next mod, but I have no idea which one I will choose. I want a true dual, but I don't like how the injen comes out in angles and is a bit loud, and I don't like the fact that the borla tries to make our car sound like a V8.

I would rather have an exhaust that is an extension of the stock exhaust, something that sounds "Ferrarish", I guess, if that is possible. I like the stock sound, it just doesn't announce itself enough. Removing the resonators does nothing really.

I don't want a canny or muscle car sound. I want something that is more like a race car. Does this exist for a reasonable price???
Old 07-27-2003, 12:24 AM
joust75

Originally posted by mediq
If you are 'smoking' your friend, its because he is a poor driver.
Your car will not be noticably faster than your friends just because you have Injen and he has the Borla. If you think so you are fooling yourself.

Everybody wants to think their product is the best, but in truth on a car that is tuned like this exhaust is not gonna give you even a tenth of a car length on a OEM Z

Putting an exhaust on does not make your car formula 1!

Quick Reply: Injen SES sucks IMO