Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Esprit intake manifold: need info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 04:02 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Esprit intake manifold: need info?

I was searching around bulletproofautomotive.com and noticed that they have the Esprit intake manifold for about $500. This is the lower section to the plenum. I was really surprised by the price and I thought I would start diggin for more info. I had noticed this piece many months ago, but I have not been able to find any information.

Is this simply a ported stock manifold, or is there more to it? I cannot read japanese and there is not much posted on the Esprit site anyhow. How hard do you think this thing would be to install? Does anyone have any experience with this piece? Please let me know all you can. Links would help too. Thanks.

Last edited by peptidbond; 07-27-2003 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:45 AM
peptidbond

Nothing? Wow, I guess Exprit would be wise to release some information concerning this piece or they are not going to sell any of them. I am thinking it has been ported and polished, but otherwise it is mechanically the same as stock. I just wish I knew what benefit this piece brings. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:57 AM
02trex

I believe all you get are the blue spacer pieces. You can contact bulletproofauto to verify.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:47 AM
peptidbond

I was beginning to think the same thing. I believe that the spacers would raise the stock plenum and solve the air flow issue with the front cylinders. Overall, if I can use this solution and keep the stock strut bar, I would prefer it. The Crawford plenum is nice and it is proven, but it is not compatible with the ATI procharger. I have not decided on the procharger, but I do want to keep my options open.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:53 AM
peptidbond

I took another look at this. I am almost certain that it is only the spacer pieces. Considering the intake manifold, there is no way they could sell a full manifold for $495 without a core charge. This has to be just spacers. For spacers, it is a little over-proced. I just wish I had more technical details such as flow bench results, or HP improvements.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:07 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by peptidbond
The Crawford plenum is nice and it is proven, but it is not compatible with the ATI procharger.
What gave you that impression? MaxHax is installing a Procharger right now; he will be the first to my knowledge to run/test it in conjunction with the Crawford Plenum.

Do you have a link to the Esprit page?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Z350Maniac

Bulletproof Automotive Link

Esprit Page

good luck with the Esprit page, it's ALL japanese...
Old 07-28-2003, 09:10 AM
ACEMAN
Master

I used babelfish to translate, and this is what it states. Not much to go on. And no clue what it does for the HP of the Car

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

(Power intake for new model Z33. By utilizing this intake kit capacity of the intake substantial rise. The extent which you just install and is not believed simply Z33 power it is possible to raise.)
Attached Thumbnails Esprit intake manifold: need info?-in25.jpg  
Old 07-28-2003, 09:28 AM
cbsuper

Can this be combined with the Crawford Z intake plenum? it looks likeit simply replaces the bottom of the plenum.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:38 AM
peptidbond

What gave you that impression? MaxHax is installing a Procharger right now; he will be the first to my knowledge to run/test it in conjunction with the Crawford Plenum.
The Avalon Racing guy stated in some thread that the Crawford replacement strut bar will not work with the procharger because they both need to exist in the same space. So, it is either a Crawford plenum with the bar or with a procharger, but not both. I want to keep the bar, adjust the plenum, and have the option for a procharger.

Thanks for the babelfish translation. It does help. My company blocks the fish, so I could not do it myself. What I gather from the translation is that the kit is only spacers that are designed to increase the volume within the stock plenum.

Can this be combined with the Crawford Z intake plenum? it looks likeit simply replaces the bottom of the plenum.
Maybe. I think it is only spacers. If the Crawford plenum maintains the stock shape of them bottom of the plenum (and I think it does), it would work. I really don't think that this Esprit kit is the entire lower plenum (intake manifold). It is just to cheap to be.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 AM
rtakashima

Default oops

Last edited by rtakashima; 07-28-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:40 AM
MustGoFastR

Oh, ok, I've seen that setup before. I believe it is just the spacers and the lower portion of the intake manifold is just in the pic to show the application. Can anybody confirm this?

We'll find out soon enough on the Crawford STB issue, as soon as Max gets his install finished up.

As for using it in conjunction with the Crawford plenum, I doubt this would work. For one, you won't have the hood clearance if you use the Esprit spacers with Crawford's plenum. Secondly, it looks as if the intent behind the Esprit setup is similar to what Crwford was trying to achieve, just not as good. While the Esprit spacers would allow for more overall flow into the intake manifold, it doesn't look like it will correct for the 30% flow differentail between the front and rear cylinders as the Crawford does.

I was just checking out the Esprit page: http://www.esprit.to/tuning_plan/fairladyZ33.html
They have all kinds of goodies including cams, high compression pistons and adjustable pillow upper arms w/ 4deg. camber adjustment. They have a body kit as well: http://www.esprit.to/tuning_plan/Z33AERO.html

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 07-28-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:09 PM
peptidbond

Colin at bulletproofautomotive was nice enough to provide me with this information via email. Apparently, it is just a spacer.

Hunter,
The Esprit intake actually fits betwen the upper and lower manifold. According to Esprit, it acts sort of like a large gasket, lengtheing the intake runners to allow them to breath better and increase hp and throttle reponse throughout the entire powerband. They haven't posted any dyno numbers on it as of yet. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Colin
MustGoFastR, why would the spacer not be as good as the Crawford. It does afford more space to the front and the back. The Crawford seems to do the same, at least in the front. I have not seen the underside of either the Crawford or the stock plenum, so I am not sure what is changed there.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Zakira

According to Esprit, the spacers add 10mm height to the plenum. So, you need to cut 8mm from the engine mount (!!!!!). If you lived in Japan and had them (Esprit) do it, the turnaround is 3 days. Maybe we have to replace the strut bars like the Crawford does if we were to use this. I'm gonna try and find out what the gain is.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:10 AM
BlackZ33

Zakira, Have you installed the Esprit Power Intake yet?

Scott
Old 08-09-2003, 04:58 AM
12SecZ

The Crawford plenum is nice and it is proven, but it is not compatible with the ATI procharger
---------------

That's not true though bro,

I am using the Crawford Plenum, STB and ATI Blower as is Doug and now Paolo. FYI
Old 08-09-2003, 06:19 AM
peptidbond

MaxHax is right. They are compatible with one another. I had read in a previous thread that they were not. Then, later, I say some images of Max's car. The Crawford plenum, STB, and Procharger are compatible.