Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Upgrading Heat Shield for Popcharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 05:12 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z
Premier Member

i'll subscribe to find out if you can come up with something that really works.
Old 08-20-2008 | 02:12 AM
Z04

all these misconceptions on what heatsoak really is (and what it isn't). but whatever, this looks like it could be a good looking addition to an already good kit. nice work so far.
Old 08-20-2008 | 03:21 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Z04
all these misconceptions on what heatsoak really is (and what it isn't). but whatever, this looks like it could be a good looking addition to an already good kit. nice work so far.
I was really thinking the same thing, we will find out what the truth is when he does some data logging at cruising speed. The JWT setup has an intake temp between 7 and 10 degrees hotter than stock. See what happens with his.
Old 08-20-2008 | 05:36 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
Tim, do you remmeber what was the temp outside? and how long did u drive?

Keep update for us.

-JLee

The outside temp was in the 80s. Sat in stop and go traffic for a good 30min with the A/C on.

-Tim
Old 08-20-2008 | 05:56 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by terrasmak
So instead of the hood , your going to make a different top for the normal heat shield.

You are correct, however, the hood doesn't seal against the existing JWT heat shield, like my addition does. The hood also doesn't wrap around the rear of the filter either.

My whole reason for making this was because, after sitting at a stop light, or in any sort of traffic, I could pop the hood and feel that the air filter was very hot to the touch. Just like everything else under the hood. I could feel a performance loss because of this.

With the shield in place, you can put the car in the same situation (stop lights or traffic), pop the hood, and feel that the heatshield is very hot (just like the air filter used to be), yet the filter remains much cooler.

With the existing JWT shield in place, as soon as the engine fans kick on, they actually blow hot air right around the shield and onto the intake/filter.
My shield helps to block that also.

I'm not trying to be a salesman here. If you re-read the thread, you will see that I originally came up with this design for my own use. Not to market.

However; I do have access to a complete fab shop, so it's really just as easy to make 50 of them as it is to make 1. Once the tooling is set up on the CNC Press Brake, it's a fast process.

I was hoping to use the laser thermometer this evening to compare surface temps, but it's supposed to be pretty cool and rainy today. If it is not pouring down rain, I will get some numbers up this evening.

-Tim
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by t0mills
I was hoping to use the laser thermometer this evening to compare surface temps, but it's supposed to be pretty cool and rainy today. If it is not pouring down rain, I will get some numbers up this evening.

-Tim
Surface temps are not the important aspect, its the intake temp that is. Air passing thru a filter may barely rise, but the filter will cool quickly to the temp of the air around it. I just don't see a need to shield the filter more to reduce the underhood temp of the filter for the first few feet till the car is moving. But if it works better at setting the filter to draw more air from the wheel well, it shoudl drop the intake temp and do some good.

The temp gun won't matter , you need to plug into the OBD2 port and watch the intake temp while the car is sitting and more important, while the car is moving.
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:32 AM
t0mills

I realize that surface temps are not an accurate measure of the air that is entering the filter. However, they will work for a comparison.

Example:

If the temp of the air filter reaches 100 degrees while sitting at a light without the shield, and with the shield, it only reaches 70 degrees, then is the shield working?

Another thing to note, is that this shield does meet up with the core support, and therefor, encloses the cool air that is coming through the duct.

Late last night I took my car for a drive, ambient temps were rather cool (60-65). After pulling back into my garage, I popped the hood, and the upper shield was very cool to the touch, while the JWT shield was quite a bit warmer. The air filter was also very cool.

That tells me that the air coming through the duct, is getting deflected off of the upper shield, which gives it a direct line to the air filter. I'm very confident that the OBDII logs will back up my "touch" data.

One more thing that was interesting, is that after the drive last night, the hood prop was cold to the touch. That is due to air flowing up through the hole that surrounds the hood latch.

After I get this heatshield figured out, I'm going to make my own cooling plate to match. That should help to increase the radiator's efficiency.

I appreciate the feedback.

-Tim
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:49 AM
gothchick

Any pics of how the heat shield seals against the back of the poop charger?
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:20 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by gothchick
Any pics of how the heat shield seals against the back of the poop charger?

I don't have any pics of that yet. The proto that is on my car right now, is open in the back, and it's working pretty well.

The model that I am working on right now will have a back side that will come down. That side will have a cutout that matches the diameter of the air filter (the rubber part that the hose clamp goes around). That will allow the shield to seal against the rubber piece, and should cut down on heat conduction.

Once I make another proto, and figure out the last remaining bend that is needed, I can make the cutout in the rear, and post up pics.

-Tim
Old 08-20-2008 | 09:42 AM
VO...
Administrator

Pretty cool idea!
Old 08-20-2008 | 11:22 AM
BaTMan_4

...sounds promising
Old 08-21-2008 | 08:26 AM
Peteski

Nice work! Cant wait for your finished product. Sounds promising.
Old 08-21-2008 | 09:36 AM
JDM SigEp Z33

i cant wait !! n if it works how it should !! i better be on the list for one !!
Old 08-21-2008 | 10:35 AM
CarbonZ08

Nice work so far! Im in for one if data shows positive results.
Old 08-21-2008 | 09:11 PM
ssgohan434

Does this replace the popcharger heatshield or is it an 'add on'? Do you happen to have cipher to do some datalogging of air intake temps?
Old 08-21-2008 | 09:15 PM
Mazinger Z

Looks really cool... too bad I sold my popcharger. Do you think you can take a pic from the behind? That is, does the shield cover the intake all the way around or just the top and sides? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008 | 03:12 PM
tranceformer95

After driving around for a few weeks in the summer heat, I've realized that the JWT Popcharger is in desperate need of a new heat shield.

So, what I am working on, is just that.

Keep in mind that this is only a prototype, and it's not very pretty. The final design will be made out of 5052 AL.

After installing the shield and driving around for a while, I could definitely feel an improvement. The "lag" that a heatsoaked air filter causes was greatly diminished.

I let it sit for about 10min, idling with the cooling fans on, then popped the hood. The heatshields were too hot to hold your hand on for any amount of time, but by reaching through in air duct, I could feel the air filter, and it was right around ambient temps.

I do plan to use a pyrometer on it, as well as an OBDII datalogger, to see what kind of reduction in temps this gives.

Just from what testing I've done so far, this seems like a big improvement.

I'll update this thread as testing progresses.

-Tim
Cool idea! I've actually thought about something like this, I have a cipher datalogger and access to a IR camera but I don't have access to any machinery to manipulate the sheet metal.

BTW, what program did you use to draft the heat shield?
Old 08-24-2008 | 05:32 PM
CELTIC Z

After driving around for a few weeks in the summer heat, I've realized that the JWT Popcharger is in desperate need of a new heat shield.

So, what I am working on, is just that.

Keep in mind that this is only a prototype, and it's not very pretty. The final design will be made out of 5052 AL.

After installing the shield and driving around for a while, I could definitely feel an improvement. The "lag" that a heatsoaked air filter causes was greatly diminished.

I let it sit for about 10min, idling with the cooling fans on, then popped the hood. The heatshields were too hot to hold your hand on for any amount of time, but by reaching through in air duct, I could feel the air filter, and it was right around ambient temps.

I do plan to use a pyrometer on it, as well as an OBDII datalogger, to see what kind of reduction in temps this gives.

Just from what testing I've done so far, this seems like a big improvement.

I'll update this thread as testing progresses.

-Tim
I could def do a test run/fit..... I live just outside of Little Rock...could meet up...looks nice
Old 08-24-2008 | 11:33 PM
Mazinger Z

In for more pix of the rear booty of the shield. I may just have to buy another popcharger if this thing works out.
Old 08-25-2008 | 01:29 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Personally i would contact Hydrozine from Motordyne once you get it set the way you want and let him play with it for testing. He seems to have the datalogging software. I'm still kinda skeptical, but optimistic about your setup, you may be on to something. It has the oportunity to draw cooler air while at speed from the wheel well. I would love to see it also tested with the bumper duct.

Last edited by terrasmak; 08-25-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Heat Shield for Popcharger