Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Polish between Tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 AM
350licious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polish between Tailpipes

Hi all,

So I almost feel retarded for asking this, but I must. Let me start by saying I know next to nothing about the inner working of cars, I am really just getting to learning since I got my 350z. I noticed another 350 on the road had his tailpipes shining chrome, and so was the peice in between, I am not really sure what it is called. On my car this part is just black, I am guessing from dirt and whatever else. Just to be sure, can I use chrome polish on this part to remove the gunk and have it shining? Is what I saw aftermarket. I know I am gonna get lots of Fail crap, but if one person answers the question right it will be worth it. Sorry it was hard for me to search as I do not know what the part is called and could not find a diagram of the exhaust.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is shiny because it is an aftermarket exhaust. probably a NISMO or another type like it. OEM stock is black
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The shiny thing between the tailpipes is a muffler. What do I win?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
350licious

Originally Posted by Z04
it is shiny because it is an aftermarket exhaust. probably a NISMO or another type like it. OEM stock is black
OK thanks a lot...saved me looking like a moron trying to chrome polish a black exhaust.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
WhiteNoiz

My OEM exhaust wasnt black, but it was a flat aluminum color. +1 he probably had aftermarket. The part between the tips is the muffler. I never tried polishing the stock exhaust...dont know how that would turn out.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
WhiteNoiz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davidv
What do I win?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350licious
OK thanks a lot...saved me looking like a moron trying to chrome polish a black exhaust.
It would require some serious elbow grease. Like about a week.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved to correct section....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
350licious

It would require some serious elbow grease. Like about a week.
So your saying I have a chance....lol

Ill take a look at it after work today, but I dont think I would try anything, there is no way I can get it looking like shiny chrome if there's none underneath...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your saying I have a chance....lol

Ill take a look at it after work today, but I dont think I would try anything, there is no way I can get it looking like shiny chrome if there's none underneath...

You can polish any metal to make it shine. (with enough patience and proper equipment.)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
350licious

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
You can polish any metal to make it shine. (with enough patience and proper equipment.)
Hmm when you refer to equipment, do you mean substance, as in what I use on it to make it shine? In this case, if you guys are willing to help me find what I would need to make it shine, I would be willing to put the work in. Right now, all I have is some chrome polish which I use for the tailpipes.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
VO...
Administrator

Hmm when you refer to equipment, do you mean substance, as in what I use on it to make it shine? In this case, if you guys are willing to help me find what I would need to make it shine, I would be willing to put the work in. Right now, all I have is some chrome polish which I use for the tailpipes.
I will be as delicate as possible on this one, since I understand your limitations on automobile knowledge.

Chrome polish is for chrome. Metal that already has chrome. You will not be able to turn your stock muffler shiny by polishing it with chrome polish. You will not be able to achieve any kind of shine to it by rubbing any polish on, on a Sunday afternoon with an old T-shirt.

Certain metals can be high polished though. The guys are being sarcastic with you when they say "elbow grease" though. You can't just turn a dull metal piece into a high gloss piece by rubbing compound on it. It takes high speed buffers, a variety of sand paper & compounds/polishes, and a crap load of work. For instance take alook at the picture below. Particularly the shiny part connected to the big black tube. If you look under your hood, you'll see this same part. Except yours is dull. The process used to achieve this shine is what I have described above. It takes countless hours to achieve this through a complex process. This is why people just buy them already made like this. You're not going to get your stock muffler to look like this, so just buy an aftermarket one....

Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
350licious

Originally Posted by vo7848
I will be as delicate as possible on this one, since I understand your limitations on automobile knowledge.

Chrome polish is for chrome. Metal that already has chrome. You will not be able to turn your stock muffler shiny by polishing it with chrome polish. You will not be able to achieve any kind of shine to it by rubbing any polish on, on a Sunday afternoon with an old T-shirt.

Certain metals can be high polished though. The guys are being sarcastic with you when they say "elbow grease" though. You can't just turn a dull metal piece into a high gloss piece by rubbing compound on it. It takes high speed buffers, a variety of sand paper & compounds/polishes, and a crap load of work. For instance take alook at the picture below. Particularly the shiny part connected to the big black tube. If you look under your hood, you'll see this same part. Except yours is dull. The process used to achieve this shine is what I have described above. It takes countless hours to achieve this through a complex process. This is why people just buy them already made like this. You're not going to get your stock muffler to look like this, so just buy an aftermarket one....

Much appreciated. I wouldent know where to start anyways. I just finished putting in the JWT Pop Charger, next mod is exhaust anyways. I am reading up right now about the different components, what they are for, where they go etc....I am looking at a few options right now. Thanks for the help and lack of fail images. haha
Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
VO...
Administrator

Much appreciated. I wouldent know where to start anyways. I just finished putting in the JWT Pop Charger, next mod is exhaust anyways. I am reading up right now about the different components, what they are for, where they go etc....I am looking at a few options right now. Thanks for the help and lack of fail images. haha
Good luck in your quest sir...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any chance Val gets to ***** out his engine bay

Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
kneedragger81

Damn, that looks clean. I believe you have just inspired me to attempt this unfathomable feat. I will need a good amount of elbow grease. Is that a stock engine cover?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

The shiny thing between the tailpipes is a muffler. What do I win?
HAHA The funny part is davidv is showing that he has some restraint from eating noobs... impressive.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Any chance Val gets to ***** out his engine bay

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Silver_Z33

Hi all,

So I almost feel retarded for asking this, but I must. Let me start by saying I know next to nothing about the inner working of cars, I am really just getting to learning since I got my 350z. I noticed another 350 on the road had his tailpipes shining chrome, and so was the peice in between, I am not really sure what it is called. On my car this part is just black, I am guessing from dirt and whatever else. Just to be sure, can I use chrome polish on this part to remove the gunk and have it shining? Is what I saw aftermarket. I know I am gonna get lots of Fail crap, but if one person answers the question right it will be worth it. Sorry it was hard for me to search as I do not know what the part is called and could not find a diagram of the exhaust.

Thanks
I hate you.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Silver_Z33

im kidding good luck man.

Quick Reply: Polish between Tailpipes