Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Drop in filters K&N vs. Blitz vs. Amsoil vs. HKS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Laino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in filters K&N vs. Blitz vs. Amsoil vs. HKS

Just wondering if anyone has had experiene with more than one of these? I have read up on them all but there is not a lot of info out there on the HKS hybrid panel filters.

If anyone has any info thats helpful (filtration+hp gains)*Especially on the HKS hybrid panel filter. It could really help me, plus alot of other ppl that wanna keep the oem box. Thanks alot
Old 08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Laino

Ive read that its
HKS>Amsoil>Blitz>K&N in power
K&N>Blitz>Amsoil>HKS in filtration
Notice a pattern?

But ya if anyone has any comments or past experience lemme know
Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 AM
twin001

If there are any gains to be made with a drop on panel filter then I doubt they are repeatable or worthwhile. The major gains for the intake system are the plenum spacer and MREV. Those two have been independently tested and proven.

Good idea on sticking with a drop in filter, the OEM airbox is a very good design.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I've seen has said K&N's don't filter well at all...I'd search for this guys test to show you, but I'm lazy...its been done though.
Think I found it when searching for info on Amsoil's air filters. Granted it could have been biased as I don't remember who wrote it. But I figure they're all probably biased one way or the other. who can you really trust?

Last edited by WTX350Z; 08-26-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Laino

ya I know.. If I had the cash I would buy all 4 and test them honestly. Amsoils website says they filter better and make more power than K&N! Gotta believe them right.

I just want info on the new HKS filter. I know there old ones didnt hold up very well but inside the oem box may be a different story
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM
bswanny

I'm intrested too in the HKS because I saw a dyno on the new HKS drop-in filter on a EVO and it got impressive gains, but I still worry about the filtration.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM
WTX350Z

Originally Posted by bswanny
I'm intrested too in the HKS because I saw a dyno on the new HKS drop-in filter on a EVO and it got impressive gains, but I still worry about the filtration.
Yeah i think there has to be a trade-off...and I'm not a fan of dirt inside my engine.

The only thing I remember about the test I read was some sort of fabric that had tiny pores that they put before the MAF after each filter to see what all got accumulated in the fabric (getting past the filter, and the one after the K&N was nasty looking....dunno if its really a reliable test but it looked good.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Laino
ya I know.. If I had the cash I would buy all 4 and test them honestly. Amsoils website says they filter better and make more power than K&N! Gotta believe them right.

I just want info on the new HKS filter. I know there old ones didnt hold up very well but inside the oem box may be a different story

Amsoil says that about all their products. They are always the best according to them.

As far as testing back to back, it's already been done and the variation in power that they could produce is just standard dyno variation. People tend to forget that Nissan actually spent tons of time making the intake work very well. This isn't a 89 civic hatch, these cars are over engineered in even the most insignificant places.

A full aftermarket intake will net you gains because the aftermarket item doesn't abate noise or make it easy to service by a dealership technician. It will generally be noisier and often kinda difficult to service, but they generate repeatable power gains.

I'd stay away from oiled filters on a MAF car, just as a general rule of thumb. Surface area is important, as well as particulate size, but I wouldn't spend much time or money trying to get it all optimized.

You'll notice more gain in HP by changing your oil and plugs on a more regular basis.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
bswanny

Originally Posted by UpRev
Amsoil says that about all their products. They are always the best according to them.

As far as testing back to back, it's already been done and the variation in power that they could produce is just standard dyno variation. People tend to forget that Nissan actually spent tons of time making the intake work very well. This isn't a 89 civic hatch, these cars are over engineered in even the most insignificant places.

A full aftermarket intake will net you gains because the aftermarket item doesn't abate noise or make it easy to service by a dealership technician. It will generally be noisier and often kinda difficult to service, but they generate repeatable power gains.

I'd stay away from oiled filters on a MAF car, just as a general rule of thumb. Surface area is important, as well as particulate size, but I wouldn't spend much time or money trying to get it all optimized.

You'll notice more gain in HP by changing your oil and plugs on a more regular basis.
So if you are going to use the stock intake box you would recommend using the stock filter?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Laino

No the stock filter isnt washable..
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM
WTX350Z

I use Amsoil cause its oil free...and is supposed to last longer than OEM. And I believe that it filters better than K&N styled filters....the test I was referring to wasn't an amsoil test IIRC...also Aftermarket intakes "gains" are usually less than 5hp, which is w/in the margin of error in a dyno....so basically your not gonna know...just buy the one you think tastes good, and enjoy.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by bswanny
So if you are going to use the stock intake box you would recommend using the stock filter?

Stock filter or another dry filter like the amsoil or air hog, etc.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Laino

Originally Posted by UpRev
Stock filter or another dry filter like the amsoil or air hog, etc.
or HKS super hybrid?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 AM
imabug

i would choose HKS over K&N.. and i've had both
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 AM
bswanny

do they make a specific HKS hybrid filter? Can't find a Part# or place that carries it?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:14 AM
aggietsi

Consider the Streamline (Helene Performance) and the AFE Pro-Dry S, as well. Both are very good filters. I run the Streamline on my 330 and have friends who run the AFE. Very good quality.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Does streamline make a filter for the Z? I had a streamline filter on another car and was quite happy with it.

Realistically, there will be no noticeable performance difference between filters. One of the reasons why I chose streamline previously is that it offers increased flow while maintaining OEM filtration levels. K&N may increase flow, but filtration is said to be diminished.

If filtration isn't too much of an issue, just get the cheapest one.

However if you read up on the motordyne threads, they are due to release some type of filter or something that uses the stock air box that diminishes heat soak.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Hmm, it looks like the streamline filter is available for the Z. I was not aware of this. http://www.heleneperformance.com/products/panels/ http://www.heleneperformance.com/products/
Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Laino
Ive read that its
HKS>Amsoil>Blitz>K&N in power
K&N>Blitz>Amsoil>HKS in filtration
Notice a pattern?

But ya if anyone has any comments or past experience lemme know
I ran across some test results a few years back that showed that the K&N had the worse filtration of any of them tested. That's why I went with the Blitz LN filter. It had excellent filtration with little pressure drop (high flow). There's a reason that the K&N filter has such a high flow rate
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sure you guys have seen this before, don't know how accurate it is:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Quick Reply: Drop in filters K&N vs. Blitz vs. Amsoil vs. HKS