Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevehl
so what is the difference between the replicas and real hks? performance wise I mean. They have same sound, same output:9-11 hp, right? only downside is rust and break after a couple of year, am i right? so its not too bad then.
laugh. if you know you are going to replace it after a couple of years why would you buy the knock-off in the first place???

Z is becoming the next civic..i'm glad the dealers are raising the price on the new 370z's..
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM
OldDirty Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ tell me about it. I'm saving for a 370z
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
ktnupe8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
laugh. if you know you are going to replace it after a couple of years why would you buy the knock-off in the first place???

Z is becoming the next civic..i'm glad the dealers are raising the price on the new 370z's..
I think the HKS knock off is of its own entity... once again many of us know that a 2.5" set up is restricting as hell if you want to go FI. So once again, why drop $1500+ for something that you're gonna have on your car for less than 2 years. If its rusty, F it, you only paid $400. Nothing to be mad about. IMHO when you're actually able to do a complete and proper FI system that's when you should drop money on a quality product that you plan on having for a long period of time.

As to your comment on the price of Z's... Don't really see the difference in prices after actually test driving a base the other week. If someone wants to cut corners they're gonna cut corners regardless of the price of the vehicle. Ricer's are everywhere, doesn't matter how much you spend on your car. Case example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibG7N-CGa3U
Looks like an '07 and the vid is posted in '07. Prime example of someone dropping $35k on a vehicle and completely Fing it up. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
OldDirty Z33

^ not another re-pot.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
TheFarmer

Originally Posted by davidv
If you are happy I am happy.
Amen to that. I'm good w/the stock exhaust and everyone's yelling at me. Hell, I think it's too loud from the factory.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 AM
ktnupe8

check out the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNdn3hVIHM
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
350z-Jim

They are all the same dude, my buddy is in China right now and working deals out for product to be shipped here. He is at the factory that makes that exhaust tomorrow. They sell to anybody and everybody and are all made the same.

I'm not saying that just thinking that is the case, I'm telling you with 100% certainty that this is the case because I have dealings in that area. Of course all the guys say they are different, some call it XO2 some make up other names etc.. they are all the same crap. They want you to buy it from so of course they say it's better than the other guy, but in reality they are all buying from the same people in China. Maybe in some cases unknowingly.

It doesn't matter to be honest, if you are happy then everybody is happy. I have been told the quality has changed because of all the complaints so better materials have been used. So some places may be selling the old stuff while other selling newer. They will change and develop the product to be better even if it's from China. They do want happy customers and if they are crap people stop buying, they stop selling and their work to knock it off and make jigs for all the parts, CNC programs for flanges etc is all lost.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good to me. don't see how a 500$ exhaust is rice. metal rusts, not a big deal. just get some titanium replacement tips and you're good to go!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
red_magic2000

Always a huge debate about these knocks offs and the real thing..The only thing that gives the knocks a bad name is the rust issue and the ugly tips. I personally bought the CX-Lighting a few months ago and then had the thing Jet Coated in black. Thing looks awesome. I'll get some pics of the exhaust installed on the car. As far as performance, what a difference, car feels so good..Also whats a few hundred dollars if you plan on dropping a turbo in the future; then invest in an expensive exhaust. Bottom line good price, great sound, and great performance
Attached Thumbnails HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!-dsc00619.jpg   HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!-dsc00617.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
350z-Jim

OK so my buddy in China sent me another email. The material for all these exhaust systems (no matter WHAT the company told you) is Stainless Steel 201. They are NOT 304 stainless.

My buddy who does trade there is gonna get me one and asked them about getting one made in 304 stainless, they said they have not done any with 304 but could for an additional cost. So I think I will have him make one up in 304 for me and sent over with his next trade mission he is on and see how that goes.

Up to this point they have all been made in 201. It's easier to polish because it's softer, cheaper due to less nickel and more plentiful. 201 is only 3-5% Nickel vs 304 which is 8-11% which is why they were rusting for people in wet climates. 201 with 3-5% nickel might be non-magnetic enough to pass as 304 so a simple magnet test may not be enough to tell if its 304 (which is what most car enthusiasts do when trying to see if something is "stainless steel") however 201 is a far inferior grade of stainless to 304.

Last edited by 350z-Jim; 02-20-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
ktnupe8

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
OK so my buddy in China sent me another email. The material for all these exhaust systems (no matter WHAT the company told you) is Stainless Steel 201. They are NOT 304 stainless.

My buddy who does trade there is gonna get me one and asked them about getting one made in 304 stainless, they said they have not done any with 304 but could for an additional cost. So I think I will have him make one up in 304 for me and sent over with his next trade mission he is on and see how that goes.

Up to this point they have all been made in 201. It's easier to polish because it's softer, cheaper due to less nickel and more plentiful. 201 is only 3-5% Nickel vs 304 which is 8-11% which is why they were rusting for people in wet climates. 201 with 3-5% nickel might be non-magnetic enough to pass as 304 so a simple magnet test may not be enough to tell if its 304 (which is what most car enthusiasts do when trying to see if something is "stainless steel") however 201 is a far inferior grade of stainless to 304.
So if they advertise it as it being t-304 SS and it isn't how would you handle the situation? I live in GA so I don't really have concerns of rust but it someone says t304 I want t304.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by ktnupe8
So if they advertise it as it being t-304 SS and it isn't how would you handle the situation? I live in GA so I don't really have concerns of rust but it someone says t304 I want t304.
Thats the good and bad part of 201. It looks and performs like 304 and you really can not tell the difference until its wet or snowy. I have no way of proving yours is 201 either to be honest. The main place that makes these does so in 201 but guys could market as 304 and nobody is going to say any different. The possibility exists that there is somebody else making them in 304 but I think that is unlikely as they all look exactly the same. Same weld spots, same supports, same flanges same gaskets same bolts same everything.

In Georgia 201 will be find you don't have much snow or problems with rusting I would imagine. In a wetter / colder climate we do. Which is why Im trying to get one in 304.

201 makes sense to me now, how could they possibly make it and sell it in full polished 304 for $300 plus shipping and still make money here, and make money in China? The material or workmanship would have to be cheaper to support that. The welds look really nice so where else can they skimp? The tips obviously and 201 which nobody can tell.

It's also more than likely that the place buying the exhaust systems and selling them on ebay don't know they are 201. The company making these does not list them as 201, my friend only found this out by being in China looking at them and was told the material. The worst part for my buddy is he designed a really awesome Honda/Acura traction bar system and that same factory knocked it off and he saw his product being knocked off and sitting on shelves right in front of him. He was pissed. He sent me a photo of it but I better not post it just incase hahah..
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
CamiloA98

I was thinking about buying this exhaust (X02) for $500, but then I saw on theztore.com that a real tanabe exhaust was $700... So I'm just going to save up a little more money and buy the tanabe's.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
samjcg

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z

Z is becoming the next civic? please.... take this trash out of here.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
CamiloA98

Originally Posted by samjcg
Z is becoming the next civic? please.... take this trash out of here.
+1
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
ddub

Originally Posted by stevehl
so what is the difference between the replicas and real hks? performance wise I mean. They have same sound, same output:9-11 hp, right? only downside is rust and break after a couple of year, am i right? so its not too bad then.
are you kidding me?

Knockoffs suck, and are the reason we have to deal with ricers
Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
WARRsZ

Originally Posted by red_magic2000
Always a huge debate about these knocks offs and the real thing..The only thing that gives the knocks a bad name is the rust issue and the ugly tips. I personally bought the CX-Lighting a few months ago and then had the thing Jet Coated in black. Thing looks awesome. I'll get some pics of the exhaust installed on the car. As far as performance, what a difference, car feels so good..Also whats a few hundred dollars if you plan on dropping a turbo in the future; then invest in an expensive exhaust. Bottom line good price, great sound, and great performance
how was the installation? I am a newbie to this and wondering if it was straight forward to install. Where there any special tools required to bolt it on. I would like to know about this experience.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by WARRsZ
how was the installation? I am a newbie to this and wondering if it was straight forward to install. Where there any special tools required to bolt it on. I would like to know about this experience.
I installed my HKS about a week ago. Installation is as straight forward as it can get. You will need deep welled 14mm sockets for removing the OEM mid-pipe and muffler. You will need PB blaster for breaking loose the OEM bolts. You will need WD-40 for the hangars. 2 OEM Nissan gaskets are optional for the Y pipe, my car has 46k miles on it so I decided not to take a chance on the original gaskets leaking. A member on here once said do it once, do it right.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
jmccarty

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I tryed searching but could never find it, why does HKS put those canisters on the exhaust? to muffle the sound?
They don't, those are not on my HKS exhaust system. The tips are too short too and should come straight out of the mufflers.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
CMyTailsBlink

Originally Posted by ktnupe8

and for pokes and giggles... I don't think anyone will be keepin up with me this summer! lol

I'll take you up on that challenge. I raced a brand new GSX-R 1000 (not positive, could have been a 750, definitely not a 600) and he was pissed as hell when he couldn't get ahead of me. On a second run, he started in front of me and i had to get out of it cause i ran him down and was really close to his back tire. I currently have a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675, and my car definitely pulls way harder than the bike.

Anyway, good luck with the exhaust. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for. Hopefully you won't have any problems. Nice looking exhaust.

Quick Reply: HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!