Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
ktnupe8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!

So I decided to take a leap of faith and get an exhaust from autogrimmig.com. and they're selling their version of the HKS Hi-power exhaust for an ebay listed $519 shipped. I still felt that was too steep for a knock-off that I would be pissed I paid that much for... so the haggling began. My first offer was $300 shipped seeing as though another ebay member, I believe cxlighting, was selling it for that much +$100 shipping. So his response was $400, which is fair. Plus I saw mixed reviews of cxlighting so I wanted to be the test dummy for these guys to share my experience with the community. So here's a few pics of what it looks like out of the box and I must say I'm not disappointed! Tips look pretty damn good and welds don't look like something out of your high school workshop class. Lol but in all seriousness, its a good looking exhaust. I'm gonna put it up on ramps tomorrow and bust out with the DIY FTW and let you guys know what it sounds like. I'm a student on a budget so didn't feel like droppin $1500 like the authentic guys did. Sh*t I have $1100 ready to go towards an FI set up (But I ramble)! Anyway... video will be coming soon as well.

and for pokes and giggles... I don't think anyone will be keepin up with me this summer! lol

Just uploaded video for you guys. Its a PITA tryin to adjust the hangers. Probably gonna take it to a muffler shop to see if they can bend em. All else is good though. Don't have any other complaints for the cost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNdn3hVIHM

Last edited by ktnupe8; 02-19-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added video
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see any pics.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
I dont see any pics.
+1
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
ktnupe8

pics up! my bad!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
ktnupe8

Oh and there were a few dings in the Y pipe from the shipping... my stomach turned when the UPS guy just dropped the sh*t out of the box right in front of my driveway... you can see a few of em in the close up pic.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
ramkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those pipes looks so identical to the original...amazing..
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 AM
chopperman

Im guessing this is 2.5" Piping. Im looking for a 3" system.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Those tips will corrode.. Not hating.. Just buy real Titanium Burnt tips.. Good job on the find though!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Changvi

LOL....good luck on the knock offs. Its just the matter if time that thing will corrode and fall apart. You get what you paid for.....
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Murfdizzle21

my buddies dad has a gsxr 1000, beast
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
ace04

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Those tips will corrode.. Not hating.. Just buy real Titanium Burnt tips.. Good job on the find though!
This is good advice. My tips look pretty bad right now, but I plan to buy some new titanium tips soon. Other than that, the exhaust looks great and I've encountered no problems whatsoever.

Although, I have to admit, once before when I first had it installed I was overly delighted to get such a deal, I have now come to realize that it was merely a fair deal. I can live with fair, though. It does the job, and I still think it's one of the best sounding exhausts.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
dphoenix

Hey how heavy is the exhaust? Is it heavy? stainless steal made?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
ktnupe8

Originally Posted by ace04
This is good advice. My tips look pretty bad right now, but I plan to buy some new titanium tips soon. Other than that, the exhaust looks great and I've encountered no problems whatsoever.

Although, I have to admit, once before when I first had it installed I was overly delighted to get such a deal, I have now come to realize that it was merely a fair deal. I can live with fair, though. It does the job, and I still think it's one of the best sounding exhausts.
Yeah I know. Look guys, people can flame on all day about a knock-off product and they are entitled to their opinion. If they have the extra $1100 to go for the real deal, more power to them. Seeing as though I do plan on goin FI in the future and 2.5" is too small for my future set up needs. So you can see why I didn't want to spend so much on something I plan on scrapping as soon as I get the car paid off and can go FI (19 months). 3" is the way to go people... Greddy TiC really... until then I'll settle for second best

Originally Posted by dphoenix
Hey how heavy is the exhaust? Is it heavy? stainless steal made?
Well the UPS had it weighted at 30lbs with box. I seriously doubt it was that light though. I could be wrong though. I wanted to put it on today but its raining crazy out here in Atlanta. It'll be a weekend job.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
ktnupe8

Originally Posted by Si3lv5er0Z
my buddies dad has a gsxr 1000, beast
Yeah man I find it funny how guys spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on expensive cars or tuning their import/domestic and they still can't do 0-60 in 2.9 like a stock Hayabusa with a decent rider. I just can't wait for it to heat up some... Only knock I can say about owning a bike. D@mn I wish I lived back in SoCal.....
Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great, nice job on the haggle too. Ignore the morons.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are happy I am happy.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
350z-Jim

BTW those exhaust systems from CXLightning, autogrimmig.com etc etc all come from the same factory in China So that exhaust you have is EXACTLY the same as all the others. Yes it is true, sorry to tell you.

The company has made changes to the materials and design and quality so it is better but they are all the same, same factory, same exhaust and same guys making them.

Lets just say I "know" people.

Here is one of the faces the factory in china uses for sales:
http://www.mgpracing.cn/products.asp?id=30 (see part at the bottom)
HangZhou Magic Power Racing Parts

They sell to anybody between 219-249 bux depending on quantity.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I tryed searching but could never find it, why does HKS put those canisters on the exhaust? to muffle the sound?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
ktnupe8

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
BTW those exhaust systems from CXLightning, autogrimmig.com etc etc all come from the same factory in China So that exhaust you have is EXACTLY the same as all the others. Yes it is true, sorry to tell you.

The company has made changes to the materials and design and quality so it is better but they are all the same, same factory, same exhaust and same guys making them.

Lets just say I "know" people.

Here is one of the faces the factory in china uses for sales:
http://www.mgpracing.cn/products.asp?id=30 (see part at the bottom)
HangZhou Magic Power Racing Parts

They sell to anybody between 219-249 bux depending on quantity.
Actually I think, knock-off as it may be, it is a different manufacturer. Notice the difference in my canisters as opposed to the real HKS and Knock-off cxlighting. Both of the pieces that weld the canisters to the muffler are on top instead of the left weld clip on top and right weld on bottom. With that being said, why would the same plant in "china" make the same exhaust differently? I donno... just my 2 cents. Installing in the morning and I'll go ahead and show the difference mounted if you can't tell by looking at the pictures I've already posted.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
User 42426

so what is the difference between the replicas and real hks? performance wise I mean. They have same sound, same output:9-11 hp, right? only downside is rust and break after a couple of year, am i right? so its not too bad then.

Quick Reply: HEY! Got HKS knock-off and it actually looks good!