Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Finally found my problem. Rattling exhaust. *Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009 | 04:16 PM
freedonutss

Default Finally found my problem. Rattling exhaust. *Pics

For the past few weeks ive been trying to locate this deep rattling/thumping noise. I jacked the car up today and banged on the exhaust and heard the rattle. It was one side of the H - Pipe rattling against some black metal piece. I think its an underbody brace or something but not sure. I attached a picture. Anyways, I tried everything to move the exhaust to the right so it wouldnt rub but with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 06-13-2009 | 06:52 PM
davidv

Thanks for the photo. I hate to suggest folding a piece of thermal wrap and stuffing it between the brace and pipe, but you may have little choice.
Old 06-13-2009 | 06:56 PM
alwaysliftin

does it make the rattling noise at like 2k rpm when you decelerating? mine does this and i haven't found a solution yet, i just live with it for now hope you find something
Old 06-13-2009 | 07:08 PM
freedonutss

The rattling noise at 2k rpm when decelerating is the flex pipes hissing. Normal when running Test Pipes or HFC.

Davidv you might be right but im gonna avoid taking that path. Anyone know what that black piece is for? If removing it will affect handling or stability ?
Old 06-13-2009 | 07:27 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I've had that happen before. My (temporary) solution was a folded up paper towel between the contact points. I ended up replacing the defective part soon, though.

You can always bang/dent in the piping where it touches the bracing (won't affect anything) or get an exhaust shop to fabricate you a new pipe/piece. As davidv suggested, you can also just wrap it with thermal wrap.

As for the deceleration rasp, I believe that is due to your test pipes and the turbulence of the exhaust gas particles within the piping itself. It can only be remedied through the use of appropriate exhaust layout/design or by putting the cats back on, I think.
Old 06-13-2009 | 07:37 PM
freedonutss

The rubbing is very minor, only happens when my car is parked on a hill and on startup. Ill look for some thermal wrap I guess just for a temporary solution. Im looking to replace the Titek test pipes anyways so Ill find something with brackets. Wheres the best place to buy thermal wrap without getting raped on the price? Ive seen some ridiculous prices like $50 per sq ft.

Im loving the numbers in your sig, Im making just a little more power and was hoping to drop down in that range. What wheels were you running on at the time you ran 13.2?
Old 06-13-2009 | 07:44 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by freedonutss
The rubbing is very minor, only happens when my car is parked on a hill and on startup. Ill look for some thermal wrap I guess just for a temporary solution. Im looking to replace the Titek test pipes anyways so Ill find something with brackets. Wheres the best place to buy thermal wrap without getting raped on the price? Ive seen some ridiculous prices like $50 per sq ft.

Im loving the numbers in your sig, Im making just a little more power and was hoping to drop down in that range. What wheels were you running on at the time you ran 13.2?
Try some of our vendors here first. They should be able to help you out. Look for keywords like exhaust, thermal, and wrap in the vendor classifieds.

As for my N/A time, be sure to compare the dates. My dyno numbers were obtained when I had an aftermarket exhaust (Fujitsubo Super Ti) on top of the 4 performance mods that I ran the 13.2 with.

When I ran the 13.2, I had the popcharger, mrev2, 5/16th spacer, and test pipes. I was running on slicks, Hoosier D05 compound to be exact, that were mounted on Weld Draglites.