Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Possible exhaust issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
13SECZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible exhaust issue ?

I have a wierd problem...I have an HKS Ti and when you blip the throttle now it is making a different sound then normal.

I have had the exhaust for several years and it has never made these sounds...it doesnt sound smooth..it kinda burbles and has a pop /backfire near the end...it basically sounds completely different as of 2 days ago vs all other times...

I had put a tank of gas in it recently from a station that I have never used..and I took it on a road trip to attmept to get the car tuned...when I got to my destination I noticed the sound..I wanna say that the car feels down on power also...could be my mind because of the sound..but it does feel lower..

I ran a code check and all I got was my cat codes...I have test pipes..so thats normal..no misfire codes or anything like that.

It doesnt sound like theres a hole in the exhaust..but it almost sounds like a. it is rubbing something underneath although I cant tell ...it really sound like a human when hes getting a cold and you have flem in your mouth..u can hear it when you breathe...same thing..its not smooth it sounds like something is in there...

Any ideas based on the info I told you ?

I dont want to bring it to Nissan because I still have a warranty and I dont want them to void..I dont believe its serious...but dont know where to start to look...

THX for any ideas..
Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
LVZ053

Originally Posted by 13SECZ
I have a wierd problem...I have an HKS Ti and when you blip the throttle now it is making a different sound then normal.

I have had the exhaust for several years and it has never made these sounds...it doesnt sound smooth..it kinda burbles and has a pop /backfire near the end...it basically sounds completely different as of 2 days ago vs all other times...

I had put a tank of gas in it recently from a station that I have never used..and I took it on a road trip to attmept to get the car tuned...when I got to my destination I noticed the sound..I wanna say that the car feels down on power also...could be my mind because of the sound..but it does feel lower..

I ran a code check and all I got was my cat codes...I have test pipes..so thats normal..no misfire codes or anything like that.

It doesnt sound like theres a hole in the exhaust..but it almost sounds like a. it is rubbing something underneath although I cant tell ...it really sound like a human when hes getting a cold and you have flem in your mouth..u can hear it when you breathe...same thing..its not smooth it sounds like something is in there...

Any ideas based on the info I told you ?

I dont want to bring it to Nissan because I still have a warranty and I dont want them to void..I dont believe its serious...but dont know where to start to look...

THX for any ideas..
That's the most unique description for an exhaust note I have ever heard.
Props for you.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:06 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The HKS Ti has a h-pike, but you still may me able to do some visual cylinder diagnostics. Look at the exhaust tips. Are they the same color? One is dirty and one is clean?

Photos always helpful.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM
13SECZ

Seems that it was only an exhaust gasket issue...mine has a break in it..So I believe a new exhaust gasket will fix this issue...

Will the same size gasket work ? I dont need an HKS one right ? I kinda know the answer to this stupid question but just want to make sure.

THX
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
NY350zG

Originally Posted by 13SECZ
Seems that it was only an exhaust gasket issue...mine has a break in it..So I believe a new exhaust gasket will fix this issue...

Will the same size gasket work ? I dont need an HKS one right ? I kinda know the answer to this stupid question but just want to make sure.

THX
Stock Gaskets are garbage I personally think.. If you dont have the $$ To get new ones you can use the stock ones im pretty sure.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
13SECZ

What I meant was I'm not gonna use the stock ones... Just wanted to make sure I didn't need hks ones or that they would be some weird size.. I'm gonna go to my local perf shop to buy a new set and put it on and see how it works out