Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New Z owner, Louder Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Talon2nr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z owner, Louder Exhaust

Just recently picked up an 03 Z, it has a magnaflow muffler welded on it just above the rear diff and though it sounds decent above 4500 RPMs but the exhaust note is pretty much non existant any lower then that. Id like to purchase a new system, spend less then $1000 dollars, and something cat back for now.

I like the look and sound of the Injen SES system but from what i have seen its discontinued. I have always liked the HKS system style but from what i have read its not very loud and i dont want to spend a decent amount of money and not really add much sound wise. I would be purchasing the knock off version, which doesnt bother me BTW.

I perfer the style of the Injen or something similar to the Nismo as far as looks, i dont want 2 cans mounted on the end like the apexi and similar systems.

Anyone with some suggestions or websites to search would be great, i have spent the last couple weeks since purchasing it trying to figure it out and i dont want to buy something and not really make much of a difference. On my last car, SRt4 i went through 4 exhausts before i got it right. That was an open electronic cutout with a stock cat back. i dont want something that extreme with this car but i deffientely dont mind a loud exhaust.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM
03brembo

just get a couple of straight pipes right outta your factory exhaust manifolds or just get some headers too while your at it.

i think that would be loud enough....
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
2k6-z33

You want loud.*cough* JIC single exit *cough*
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 AM
kyx4n

motordyne shockwave?

those are quite loud, and looks quite nice too imo.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 AM
blktrack350

the injen with ti tips is pretty loud and looks good
Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Talon2nr

Id like just a Cat back for now,

Id like to stick with something dual

Originally Posted by blktrack350
the injen with ti tips is pretty loud and looks good

This is exhaust is discontinued isnt it?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Talon2nr

i REALLY like that motordyne dual shockwave, Just pmed them for a price. Anyone know the best place to pick one up for the most reasonable price?

I should also mention that i know its probably going to be priced higher then i would like so the search is still open although i may make an exception depending on price.

Last edited by Talon2nr; 07-18-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Parker01

Ah I was in your shoes earlier this year, I bought my Z in February and stored it until May... when I got it out I couldn't believe how quiet it was with stock exhaust. My buddy has a G35 and the stock exhaust sounded perfect, so I was disappointed when I couldn't even hear mine in my car.

So I went from one extreme to the other and got Top Speed Pro N1 exhaust. If you don't mind loud exhaust and driving your neighbours crazy, I would recommend it. It is very loud and sounds quite exotic, search it on you tube. It has a lot of drone inside the car though, I think when you put your windows up the exhaust actually gets louder lol. I have to admit, I loved it, then I hated it and was debating taking it off, then I loved it again... the VQ purr it gives is amazing, especially if you are standing outside and listening to the car go by. I have had old guys (50-60) stop in traffic and honk at me to tell me my car sounds "magnifecent" lol. Oh and did I mention it is super cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49F5...eature=related

Last edited by Parker01; 07-18-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

drill holes in your muffler
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Talon2nr

Originally Posted by Parker01
Ah I was in your shoes earlier this year, I bought my Z in February and stored it until May... when I got it out I couldn't believe how quiet it was with stock exhaust. My buddy has a G35 and the stock exhaust sounded perfect, so I was disappointed when I couldn't even hear mine in my car.

So I went from one extreme to the other and got Top Speed Pro N1 exhaust. If you don't mind loud exhaust and driving your neighbours crazy, I would recommend it. It is very loud and sounds quite exotic, search it on you tube. It has a lot of drone inside the car though, I think when you put your windows up the exhaust actually gets louder lol. I have to admit, I loved it, then I hated it and was debating taking it off, then I loved it again... the VQ purr it gives is amazing, especially if you are standing outside and listening to the car go by. I have had old guys (50-60) stop in traffic and honk at me to tell me my car sounds "magnifecent" lol. Oh and did I mention it is super cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49F5...eature=related

any pics? its hard to see in the video, also whats the going rate for it?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Talon2nr

bump for suggestions
Old 07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Entaille

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aH-KVu8j78 - bassani

just picked mine up for 950$ shipped. skip to 40 seconds in if you want to just hear the rolling and in cabin sounds etc.

it's pretty bad ***. true dual, x pipe, not overly loud but definitely a good note, gains are noticeable on the butt dyno
Old 07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Talon2nr

that sounds really good in that video, some of the other videos on youtube its sounds a little raspy, is it?

i gotta look for some pics of it installed but if you have any post them.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Entaille

no rasp or drone on my 04.5 5AT. I have one issue with it, at 1600-1700rpm there is a very slight rattle.

damn piping goes right over the sway bar and leaves you with like half an inch of clearance. my options to fix it at this point are either to pad it with something (heat wrap, hose.. anything that isn't metal), or to lower the sway bar slightly with some washers to space it. doesn't hit it at any other rpm range.

I'll take some pictures tonight after work for you. won't be able to get under the car and show you the whole system though. in the past I had a magnaflow system for the Z (#16784), it was too loud for me though. I had to really speak up to talk to people in my car, and in-car phone calls were a no go unless I cruised at certain rpm's. it was good for the cost and I loved the sound, just too loud. it was a 3" system
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Entaille

as for some sound clips having rasp or drone, and others not, every car is different. on top of every car being different, people have different set ups with test pipes and high flow cats, or headers etc, often being the issue.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Entaille

I laid down in a dirty *** parking lot for you! got what I could, it's no real easy to get under the Z. it kind of maintains a stock appearance in regards to both mufflers being tucked up behind one another.

last pic is of the damn part that goes over the sway bar and rattles at that tiny rpm range.
Attached Thumbnails New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000731-medium-.jpg   New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000732-medium-.jpg   New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000733-medium-.jpg   New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000734-medium-.jpg   New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000735-medium-.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Entaille

last one. little blurry, was in an awkward position. this is the rear sway bar
Attached Thumbnails New Z owner, Louder Exhaust-p1000736-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Talon2nr

yah that looks good, i have heard its on the quiet side what do you think compared to others you have heard?

i would try heat wraping that area of the exhaust and hopefully eliminating the metal on metal rattle.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Entaille

I haven't really hammered down on what I want to do yet. it's either a: heat wrap it. b: use rubber tubing and zip ties to pad the area between it, or c: use washers to space and lower the sway bar a little, thus giving it more clearance. either way, it's totally solvable. just a pain.

the beauty of this exhaust is the quietness. at idle its quiet. at cruising it sounds amazing but still quiet enough to enjoy talking inside the car, be it on the phone or with someone in the passenger seat. when you punch it down and start climbing the rpms it screams and sounds great.

there is a resonator and a muffler on each so it will definitely be more quiet compared to a lot of systems. I had a 3" magnaflow and it was just unbearably loud unless I was by myself, then it was like music to my ears.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Talon2nr

yah im going from an srt4 which i had

1) 3inch turbo back side exit with no cat, resonator, or muffler

to

2) 3inch turbo back dual exhaust with HFC and no muffler

to

3) 3inch electronic cutout, no cat, to stock cat back which still doesnt have a muffler

Im used to cars that scream so to have a car that i cant even tell its on just seems weird. Im really liking the motordyne exhaust just trying to figure out the details with the system. I like the bassani because its a quality system for a good price. I really like the Injen too bad its discontinued.

Quick Reply: New Z owner, Louder Exhaust